Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
May 30, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #3,106 of 4,022
The problem with IEMs is that you don't get the tactile response of bass notes that cans and speakers give. The SE535 certainly aren't lacking in bass though. Try the triple flange sleeves but cut the stem just behind the biggest flange and insert deeply. You can pull up on your ear with your mouth open while inserting. This will open up your ear canal and allow a deeper insertion.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

May 30, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #3,107 of 4,022
  so I got my red 535's yesterday

on first impressions, quite a nice upgrade from my razer brand earbuds haha

(sorry, please bear with my noobie lingo)
pros:
mids and highs are really clear and defined
highs, mids, and lows don't seem to have any "overlap" in sounds
bass has thickness
very detailed, I hear new things on almost every song on every repeat
sound stage is large, and separation is good and detailed (depending on the recordings xD)
comfort in ear is alright, still getting used to this new style of IEM's, you kinda forget its there after 10-15 mins in

cons:
bass seems to be lacking a tiny bit, doesn't have the rumble or punch I was sort of expecting
(I will re-evaluate this after some burn in time)
cord around the top of the ear doesn't stay too well, will come loose when I turn my head
even though I don't feel the IEM's in my ear, I do feel the cable most of the duration the IEM's are in my ear
foam tips are a hassle to remove, and a hassle waiting for it to expand

this my 2 cents for the first few hours of listening to these
any idea how I can increase the punch on the bass?
and any good recommendations for the ear tips? im currently using the soft pad ones (foam was weird, and triple F didn't fit for me)

Cheers

congratulations on your purchase 
beerchug.gif
 this is a great iem ...... you will take some time to get used to .... take your time with it and with getting the right fit and let your brain to get accustomed to the new sound ..... you can use a bass boost in your player to add some punch .... they will not turn to be a bass heavy iems but they will have a very nice and very full bass with a proper boosting .... try mushroom ear tips of etymotics they fit nice in shure .... they are great sounding from top to bottom
L3000.gif

May 30, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #3,108 of 4,022

and any good recommendations for the ear tips? im currently using the soft pad ones (foam was weird, and triple F didn't fit for me)

Cheers

I will relay the advice that ridethespiral gave me... there are various *dampers* that you can install that increase the bass (he mentions this in this thread about 1 page back).

Here is the link... there is quite a thread on this subject:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/663273/se530-535-acoustic-filter-mod-more-sq-improvement-than-cables-dampers

I've ordered two pairs of about half of the approximately 8 types offered... they have not arrived yet.

When they do, I am not sure I will use them right away, because you end up damaging the dampers that are in your SE535s as you install these (at least it seems that way to me) and I am not sure I want more bass that bad.  Another tip someone gave is to use the three-flange tip included in the package and cut them short after the third flange so they go more deeply into your ear, give a better seal, and give you more bass.

May 31, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #3,109 of 4,022
The problem with IEMs is that you don't get the tactile response of bass notes that cans and speakers give. The SE535 certainly aren't lacking in bass though. Try the triple flange sleeves but cut the stem just behind the biggest flange and insert deeply. You can pull up on your ear with your mouth open while inserting. This will open up your ear canal and allow a deeper insertion.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That's not true. There are IEM with great bass that rival or beat headphones. 

May 31, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #3,110 of 4,022
  so I got my red 535's yesterday

on first impressions, quite a nice upgrade from my razer brand earbuds haha

(sorry, please bear with my noobie lingo)
pros:
mids and highs are really clear and defined
highs, mids, and lows don't seem to have any "overlap" in sounds
bass has thickness
very detailed, I hear new things on almost every song on every repeat
sound stage is large, and separation is good and detailed (depending on the recordings xD)
comfort in ear is alright, still getting used to this new style of IEM's, you kinda forget its there after 10-15 mins in

cons:
bass seems to be lacking a tiny bit, doesn't have the rumble or punch I was sort of expecting
(I will re-evaluate this after some burn in time)
cord around the top of the ear doesn't stay too well, will come loose when I turn my head
even though I don't feel the IEM's in my ear, I do feel the cable most of the duration the IEM's are in my ear
foam tips are a hassle to remove, and a hassle waiting for it to expand

this my 2 cents for the first few hours of listening to these

Cheers

Try finding a good DAC + AMP that pairs nicely with the Shure SE535. I really like how the Shure SE535 sounds out of an Apogee One for example which improves the bass. (Also the soundstage improves alot.)

May 31, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #3,112 of 4,022
well before we jump too far ahead......
i use foobar, but as a complete audio noob, im not sure how to set the EQ
do i just fool around with it until i get the sound that suits me, or do you guys all have remade settings?
And i did order an aftermarket cable that arrived tonight, i will give that a whirl tomorrow

May 31, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #3,113 of 4,022

When they do, I am not sure I will use them right away, because you end up damaging the dampers that are in your SE535s as you install these (at least it seems that way to me) and I am not sure I want more bass that bad.  Another tip someone gave is to use the three-flange tip included in the package and cut them short after the third flange so they go more deeply into your ear, give a better seal, and give you more bass.

That's good advice.

I personally did this mod and am now using the aftermarket filters (I use the white one, ironically, which is supposedly the same freq presentation as the stock Shure filters).

That said, even though some of the filters will indeed increase the bass, those same filters will also simultaneously affect the highs and mid range freqs ... it sounded to me that even though certain filters gave me more bass, they also tended to muddy the over all clarity of the sound as a whole. Therefore, I ended up sticking with the "white" aftermarket filters as they really are the closest approximation to the stock Shure sound.

And even these "white" filters are slightly different in subtle ways, than the stock Shure filters. The over all sonic image is a tad more detailed, a tad more "clinical" ... some might even say more "reference;" the super warm, super smooth tone of the stock filters is gone. They headphones are still warmish, still smooth ... just not as extremely smooth/warm. The highs, in my opinion are better with the new, white filters, more sparkly, more detailed and not so hugely rolled off. I've come to love these new filters but it took some acclimating.

So think carefully before going the after market filter path. Even the filters that are "the same" as the stock filters ... create subtle differences.

:)

May 31, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #3,114 of 4,022
How much do cables really make a difference? I am considering the Moon Audio Silver Dragon. 
Hey buddy sorry for this late response as I just read it. Anyways I use to think that cables didn't matter much before and boy was I wrong.. In this case anyways. I recently bought a pair of red ltd 535's with a iPhone cable that came already attached to them, and the grey cable that comes with these iems. Well I have been just using the iPhone cable because it was already attached .. Sorry I didn't mention that I bought them used ,, and I thought they sounded great with that cable .. Until I thought I'd change them to the original grey cable. Well I don't know if the iPhone cable that you can buy for these are just junk. But once I changed back to the grey cable these really came to life. Everything from the lows to the highs. From the details to the soundstage was a lot better. And I do mean a lot. I won't go to much into detail but doing that really changed my mind on the great cable debate lol. Now I'm looking around for a nice cable upgrade. It defiantly made me a believer.

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #3,115 of 4,022
another quick update from me (excuse another paragraph of noobie lingo)

so i installed my aftermarket cable
sonically, it went from clear and detailed to super detailed
i think it gave a faster response on notes, it produces the sound more crisply
the bass did improve quite a bit with some tweaking with EQ also
im enjoying what i have so far

now as a follow up question, will my 535 cable work on my 215's?
coz i really hate that memory wire thing

Jun 1, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #3,116 of 4,022
For ear tips I like the yellows the best but I've modified my se535 dampers. The dampers fall out too easily. So now I am using a size up Comply Tx-100 with wax guards. I think using smaller tips makes the sound more shrill. You get more bass when they completely fill your ear canal. So the comply size large work well for me (they are slightly smaller than the shure size large). You don't have to wait for them to expand or anything either really since it's slightly a different material than the shure ones. 

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #3,117 of 4,022

Try finding a good DAC + AMP that pairs nicely with the Shure SE535. I really like how the Shure SE535 sounds out of an Apogee One for example which improves the bass. (Also the soundstage improves alot.)

They don't really need an amp because they're so sensitive, but a good dac really opens them up. Through my RME Babyface they are mindblowing, but still sound wonderful from my nexus 5

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #3,119 of 4,022
  okay, ive been play with the EQ a bit, and i cant what im looking for
anyone want to share their EQ settings?, im look for a bit more punch in the bass
Thx in advanced

What i'v read here on head fi is that se535 and Arrow 3G amp with bass boost on 1 is a match made in heaven. I have Arrow 4G myself, and find it's bass boost pretty nice with se535 also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back