Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Jun 13, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #3,136 of 4,022
  How do you find the SE846 compares to the SE535s?  Appreciably more bass?  Even better sound throughout?  Thanks!

The Shure SE846 sounds very different based on which filter you use. I use the white filter (the neutral version).

The biggest difference is that the Shure SE535 sounds thin while the Shure SE846 sounds big and full. The bass and treble are also much better and so is the soundstage. 

Jun 13, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #3,137 of 4,022

I wish I was in a place financially where $500 headphones were basically junkers I could break.

That said, did you recable the 535? Because that stiff plastic monstrosity would be the opposite of convenient during any kind of exercise. 

I have the official iPhone cable from Shure. It never caused me any trouble so far. 

Jun 13, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #3,138 of 4,022

Since I got my Shure SE846, my Shure SE535 are now my beater IEM's for in the gym. No idea what to do with my Shure SE215 now :frowning2:

LOL I'd never use $500+ IEM's for the gym, I use my 215's actually
the bass punch in the 215's is more applicable to my type of gym music
plus during the work out and microphonics that could be involved
sound quality would not be too much of an issue for me in that scenario

just.....dat memory cable stiffness is yuck......

my personal opinion

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #3,139 of 4,022

my personal opinion

All so very true.

I use the Bluebuds X in the gym. It's not like you're listening critically in the gym, it's there while you're (ideally) doing some serious physical exertion. It'd be like playing beer pong with St Bernardus. 

Jun 13, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #3,140 of 4,022

my personal opinion

I bought a s/h one to tie me over while I am getting an SD2 fixed or a CIEM, and yes the shure seem to have gone completely overboard on the cable stiffness. The 535 sounds quite nice, but not a patch on the SD2 mind you, apart for bass which has more but not as tight and controlled in my opinion every thing else the SD2 is simply on a different league.

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #3,141 of 4,022
I almost wish it didn't come with a bag of all these different tips. I keep swapping around because I can't decide which are best, LOL. 

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #3,142 of 4,022
  I almost wish it didn't come with a bag of all these different tips. I keep swapping around because I can't decide which are best, LOL. 

Since I have consistently been finding in comparison tests that IEMs almost ALWAYS come out ahead of headphones, their main problem is inability to get a good fit.

So I think we should offer a course in "How To Fit IEMs."  It would be at least a 4 year curriculum, perhaps as much as seven or ten years, like law school or medical school.

Just think how glorious the world would be if there were a systematic simple way to find the best IEM fit!

(cheaters can use custom molds!)

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #3,143 of 4,022

The Shure SE846 sounds very different based on which filter you use. I use the white filter (the neutral version).

The biggest difference is that the Shure SE535 sounds thin while the Shure SE846 sounds big and full. The bass and treble are also much better and so is the soundstage. 

Oh no!  Soon as one comes up on head-fi.org USED... I fear I'll be bidding! Your fault!

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #3,145 of 4,022

Er...

Yep... surprised me too!  Might be unique to my own evaluation criteria, but both for the Shure 535 and the Philips Fidelio S2 (and almost for the Sennheiser CX 300 ii) ... high scores are better:

Here's an example of the individual rankings that led to one of the summary results shown above... this for the next-to-last line comparing the PS500, HE-500, and SE 535:

More detail here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/722423/the-500s-side-by-side-testing-the-hifiman-he-500-grado-ps500-and-shure-se535-comparatively#post_10620725

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #3,146 of 4,022
Er. It might have something to do with you comparing an IEM with open-back planar headphones. Those sounds are so different it's absurd. If you like the IEM sound, there is literally nothing as different from that as a Grado. I mean you can't even compare them. It's like comparing a winery with a bakery and trying to decide who's "better". Try out some good closed-back cans and do that again. I'd put the SE535 leagues above those two as well.

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #3,147 of 4,022
So. Random Q. What tips we all using? I keep bouncing around. I know the stock olives are popular, same with clipping the top flange of the triples into doubles. I just can't decide. 

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #3,148 of 4,022
I'm using the Comply (squishable) tips (the black ones), selected from the numerous tips that came with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back