Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #3,077 of 4,022
I've bought a pair of SE535 (clear) which should arrive by Tuesday. Quite excited to try these highly rated pair of earphones. Does anyone have any suggestions of tips that go well with them? Are the stock tips comfortable and provide good isolation?

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #3,078 of 4,022
I've bought a pair of SE535 (clear) which should arrive by Tuesday. Quite excited to try these highly rated pair of earphones. Does anyone have any suggestions of tips that go well with them? Are the stock tips comfortable and provide good isolation?

I cannot recommend the Westone Star Tips highly enough. Very comfortable and flexible. You can get an assortment pack of one pair of all sizes of both the Star Tips and the True Fit (foam) from Westone for $15.

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #3,079 of 4,022

Comply Tsx-100 could be worth a look

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #3,082 of 4,022
Interesting, how long do these last? I'm wondering if they are a bit pricey in the UK, they seem to be priced at around £20 ($33) for 3 pairs. 

I dont know yet,, i got the ts400(same without the filter) about a month ago with my philips fidelio s2, and they are the best tips i used so far as comfort and isolation goes...

From reading it seems like 3 months -1 year for a pair

Mar 23, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #3,084 of 4,022
You can't really go by tip suggestions, it's all about your ears. I have tried the star tips, and none of them fit, the long ones are too long, then the others just won't seal properly. From the stock tips the black foams aren't quite the right size for me either. Yellow foams are okey size wise, but the surface is too grainy for them to be comfortable. What i have found best universal tips are the included silicon tips in medium. They stick to my ears like suction cups, and are pretty super comfortable. Later i bough the comply comfort(Ts-100) they are exactly the same size as the shure silicons so they fit pretty good for me, but i still prefer the silicon's for their smoother surface. Later on i have got custom molded tips, witch isolate and fit great, it's just that it takes little effort to put them on and take em off, so when out and about there are benefits for universal tips, at least you can get em off easily when someone talks to you etc.

I would say that don't buy any other tips unless the stock ones just won't fit. If you need something in between shure medium/big the star tips might be okey. If the shure silicon tips are great, but you want to go for foam, comply ts-100 are great then.

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #3,086 of 4,022
Just curious - is SE535 discontinued? Looking for a decent IEM - thinking about the Shure - though the availability appears to be lacking in the UK.

I presume SE846 is not the direct replacement - might there be a direct replacement to 535 soon?

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #3,087 of 4,022
It's available on Amazon but most if not all of those dealers are not authorised dealers i.e. invalid warranty. If you go on the Shure website they have a list of authorised UK dealers. The displayed price is around 350 GBP but if you email them individually you'll be able negotiate with them. I think the cheapest offer I got was 320 GBP.

May 10, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #3,088 of 4,022
I really don't think they're going to change the current line any time soon, but I can fire off an email on Monday to our Shure rep (I work at a music store) when I find out who that is. The SE535's still sell very well.

On a sour note, my right side is screwed. I had a custom cable from Chris_himself cables (I wouldn't recommend ordering from hplaudio. I was lied to quite a lot trying to get them to make my damn cable AFTER I paid) and the connector on the cable broke (cheap??) and is stuck inside the iem. Not only that, but because the pin part on the cable was able to move freely, it busted the inside part so even if I got the piece out, they wouldn't work.

I sent off an email to SF Marketing (Canadian distributor) to see if I can buy a new right side + cable. There's a price list of flat-fee charges for out of warranty repairs which is $84 for a replacement iem and $16 for a cable so that isn't too bad.

I'm heartbroken right now :frowning2:

May 14, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #3,089 of 4,022
May 14, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #3,090 of 4,022
quick question about custom cables

im looking at getting the Shure 535's also, and I know cables do make a difference
checking this out, but I don't see any reviews. Anyone got some suggestions?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C6ST1N6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2R8M57H1YJRMM

im looking for something basic to see the difference in, not quite ready to jump into $300 cables for a $500 IEM

A year ago i was just like you with a SE535 and wondering about custom cables. I would suggest Ted Allen at Headphone Lounge. For about $90 you can get a great OCC silver plated copper cable that looks great and materially improves your sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back