Shure SE215 - RANTING! READ THIS BEFORE BUYING WRONG HEADPHONES or IEM
Dec 23, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #16 of 19
  ..plus nobody needs to isolate all sounds while walking down the street that's just dangerous

..BOSE..but at least they don't give you the danger of sound isolating..

Besides the fact that Bose prides itself on active noise cancellation 
rolleyes.gif

I have used studio headphones.. other than having a good insulator so there is no loss in quality, there wouldn't be anyway, but THEY ARE OPENED HEADPHONES, get it? OPENED, where do you use open headphones? oh I suppose in the underground sound recording studio where there is absolutely no other noise other than your singing. 

What anyone really needs for general home use is ... closed headphones, so nobody can hear...

... you still get good frequency response and sound isolation.

Confused by your conflicting opinions on noise isolation. 
blink.gif

And "insulator"? 
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #18 of 19

Krane,

For me, the SE215 really doesn't offer good value for money. I mostly suggest other IEMs for those looking at SE215. I believe the Vsonic's offer excellent value for money with their SQ than Shures and those forumers also rate the Vsonics highly.

BOSE also doesn't offer good value for money.

Well then Vsonic, unlike Shure probably realized that people buy these for music listening, Shure probably keeps it business only not mixing it with pleasure.
As per BOSE, they are overpriced yes, but at least they don't give you the danger of sound isolating, they are comfortable, and still sound okay-good

Oh dear. BOSE make the world's best noise-cancelling headphones. 

I'm getting members beating down my door to shut this thread. Given the number of factual errors being posted, I think that is what I'll do. 

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #19 of 19
So I was stupid listened to some peoples advice on this forum few years ago and bought these (Shure SE215) IN EAR CANAL EARPHONES or IEM or whatever, for music listening.

Lots of time has passed since I purchased those horrible earphones, I took up music professionally and get to work with some famous people, not directly, but I am getting there.
I figured I would clear some things up for people getting into this, and for some compulsive spenders who are in denial.

I made a horrible choice of getting Shure SE215 probably many of you do/did/will do as well, I am not talking about the particular model, I am talking about the particular design. These were designed for syncing of music on stage while singing. Their sound quality only need to match the minimum required. They hurt your ears after wearing them for more than 30 minutes, and if they cost $200 more than this $100 model, they will not be more comfortable stop lying to yourselves, they might sound slightly better.

I let my inexperienced friend listen to these, she hated them, she said her ear hurt, the sound was worse than on her old iPhone ear buds.

7b9c4170_904117181_fdQME-XL.jpg

I AM TALKING ABOUT THIS SPECIFIC DESIGN

Their design is to eliminate noise, sync you up with instruments, and I don't understand how most of you (I assume have nothing to do with performing, but just enjoy music) are buying these headphones with the horrible sound they produce. You are paying for the invisible design, sound isolation, sound syncing, then you pay hundreds and hundreds to compensate for horrible sound quality to make it a little better. While being in constant pain after about 30 minutes of wear. I can prove this, put rubber sound isolating foam in your ears and stay like that for more than 30 minutes, I dare you not to pull them out with relieve.

My old iPhone buds sounded much better than Shure SE215, yes yes I know the bass has to be punchy and not muddy, don't understand how this is a problem if you can EQ it, and don't understand how this is a problem for "syncing design earphones" as they don't have bass at all, other than faint punchy base to give you the proper beat.

Same goes for STUDIO HEADPHONES, which sometimes cost outrageously because the industry makes stupid money. These headphones ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR MUSIC LISTENING. They are designed to hear certain things, and to eliminate other things while singing in the studio and recording your music, still some of you "experts" believe you are getting a premium sound quality lol.

Same goes for GAMING HEADPHONES, they are not designed for music.

Conclusion, if you want great sound quality, go with either cheaper Dj headphones - these tend to have very wide frequency range, but you will sacrifice comfort, which you can solve by buying more comfortable ear cushions. Or go with more expensive headphones for "home listening," they will have frequency line just as wide, and they will be much more comfortable to wear, but they will be much more expensive. If you just need earphones to listen to music on the go then your iPhone buds or some nice warranted BOSE will do the job perfectly well. If however you just look to waste your money away then disregard everything I just said and knock yourselves out.

Mods who read this and rage do not delete my thread, I made it to help new users, I offer my "expertise" and it is my right to do so, if you disagree fight back with a constructive argument.
I'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks IEM sound terrible. I compared my akg earphones I got from my Samsung note 9 and I thought it sound better than my sony mdr ex1000 that I receive today itcost $700 aud. Same experience with other IEMs I've tried like the campfire atlas and andromeda they sound equal to my akg earphones but they cost $1000+. I thought my Sennheiser hd700 ($1000) sound way better than most of the iems ($1500+) I've tried. I even tried the shure se846 and I thought they sound worse than my akg earphones. I remember a while back I compared a custom 64audio a3 wih my apple earpod and I thought my apple earpod sound better!! IEMs are a rip off. I used to own bose qc20 and from memory it sound way better than any iems I've tried including my apple earpods. IEM companies are a scam. Compare a bose qc20 and $200+ iem side by side first before buying you'll be surprise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back