Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jan 24, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #1,397 of 6,081
  Interesting and informative; https://youtu.be/JJeSm0zep00

Good one. A bit advertisish, but at least you hear them laughing about it, and I did learn some new stuff.
Shame they didn't have more to say about the amplifier unit, and the unrelated but curious SHA900. The KSE1500 really stole all its spotlight. Can't find a single review for it.

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #1,398 of 6,081
My review is completed, first draft is done. It should be up by end of the week. All is left is for me to take some pictures and just read it two more time. I do apologise for the delay and I had to cut some material as it was going for too long.

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #1,399 of 6,081
So I'm thinking of the KSE as a upgrade to some older sure E3g IEM's that I have enjoyed. I've heard of users saying the KSE 1500's are somewhat sterile sounding when paired with the AK240?? That concerns me as the 240 is my favorite DAC. I may have to give them more thought..

Jan 24, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #1,400 of 6,081
  So I'm thinking of the KSE as a upgrade to some older sure E3g IEM's that I have enjoyed. I've heard of users saying the KSE 1500's are somewhat sterile sounding when paired with the AK240?? That concerns me as the 240 is my favorite DAC. I may have to give them more thought..

The KSE1500 is an electrostatic earphone. It's not a balanced armature like the Shure E3g. These two are vastly different in the technology they employ to produce sound.

To me the KSE1500 could be deemed clinical as it is really transparent and clear. However I don't find it less musical. I enjoy how it presents so much detail and clarity that I'd probably sum it's presentation as "nude". It's transparently crystal clear - it will reveal the characteristics of your DAC implementation, and/or mastering, etc and that's not always a bad thing - sometimes (but not always) a bad mastering could add character to the musical track.

At least to me though, the KSE1500 is so far different from any other earphone that I have personally heard in the way it presents music, that source I actually don't think so much about "source synergy" to the KSE1500 but like using the KSE1500 to scrutinise the quality of the different sources I have in hand.

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #1,401 of 6,081
  The KSE1500 is an electrostatic earphone. It's not a balanced armature like the Shure E3g. These two are vastly different in the technology they employ to produce sound.

To me the KSE1500 could be deemed clinical as it is really transparent and clear. However I don't find it less musical. I enjoy how it presents so much detail and clarity that I'd probably sum it's presentation as "nude". It's transparently crystal clear - it will reveal the characteristics of your DAC implementation, and/or mastering, etc and that's not always a bad thing - sometimes (but not always) a bad mastering could add character to the musical track.

At least to me though, the KSE1500 is so far different from any other earphone that I have personally heard in the way it presents music, that source I actually don't think so much about "source synergy" to the KSE1500 but like using the KSE1500 to scrutinise the quality of the different sources I have in hand.

Thanks for your take on the KSE1500's. I don't doubt the KSE1500 can better evaluate the music over a inferior and vastly different method of technology. Reading your take on how they present more detail etc is great! I could only hope to be impressed when i got $1500 stuck to each ear. That's more than the diamond earrings on my wi.. Never mind, I shouldn't go there. I'm glad to her, they would just be earbuds.  :)

Cheers

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #1,402 of 6,081
I might have a bias towards the kse as I started this hobby via er4s however I moved past it a while ago due to various reason. I think fans of ex-1000 and er4s uerm should feel right at home with minimum effort. Fans of heavier hitting bass can easily compensate with the eq setting.

Been tracking the KSA1500 and thx for sharing your experience and looking forward to you big review. I was also raised in the iem world by er4s and loved the ex1000!

Since I haven't auditioned the KSA1500 I won't have anything valuable to add yet. But to thank you let me share a surprising good but "cheap" find that should please er4s lovers - AKG N20. I got mine from an emergency situation looking for sth inexpensive (around $100) but with a couple weeks usage now I am loving its superb clarity but with impactful bass. Can't believe there isn't much chatter on this little gem. It has replaced my re400 as the "quick and cheap reference sound on the go" iem.

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #1,403 of 6,081

I agree with AnakChan,

The KSE-1500 is very reveling, extraordinarily transparent earpiece that is much  closer to neutral almost unbiased IMHO in it's ability to represent the musical source.  It's very engaging to me. It is an excellent reference for source equipment (as AK mentioned), equalization, component chain matching and I can see both sound and mixing engineers using this earpiece for working closely with musical reproduction sources and for mixing down, artifact removal as so on... For me it's a portable audiophile's dream with the exception of carrying around the amp.  
But if your up-chain equipment that supports the earpiece which includes source, cables, or music recording suck it will show you how bad your choice is.  In other words when the KSE-1500 shows up at your party be prepared for a reality check! It is a no holes barred reproduction like it or not.

Shortly I will compare the KSE to the Layla, and HE-1000's
Sincerely,
-Speed 

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #1,404 of 6,081
Just got my KSE1500 replacement back as the left side level went way down and distorted on the first pair after 24 hours. I've been running these for about 100 hours now and so far so good (fingers crossed). Pairing them with

the RWAK240 is not bad, but kinda lack the resolution and euphoria of 240 / Hugo I'm so used to. So finally decided on AK380 Cu and  the setup is the best I heard so far. Noticed a darker background with better instrument separation and slight touch of warmth with the Cu compared with the former version. The setup sounded organic and intoxicating 
L3000.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #1,405 of 6,081
Been tracking the KSA1500 and thx for sharing your experience and looking forward to you big review. I was also raised in the iem world by er4s and loved the ex1000!

Since I haven't auditioned the KSA1500 I won't have anything valuable to add yet. But to thank you let me share a surprising good but "cheap" find that should please er4s lovers - AKG N20. I got mine from an emergency situation looking for sth inexpensive (around $100) but with a couple weeks usage now I am loving its superb clarity but with impactful bass. Can't believe there isn't much chatter on this little gem. It has replaced my re400 as the "quick and cheap reference sound on the go" iem.

Thanks for the N20 heads up.

I also appreciate all the impressions on the 1500 along with the review coming up. I know it takes time & effort.

The way things are going, this might cost me some money.

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #1,406 of 6,081
  Just got my KSE1500 replacement back as the left side level went way down and distorted on the first pair after 24 hours. I've been running these for about 100 hours now and so far so good (fingers crossed). Pairing them with

the RWAK240 is not bad, but kinda lack the resolution and euphoria of 240 / Hugo I'm so used to. So finally decided on AK380 Cu and  the setup is the best I heard so far. Noticed a darker background with better instrument separation and slight touch of warmth with the Cu compared with the former version. The setup sounded organic and intoxicating 
L3000.gif

What a nice set-up.  Very tempting 
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #1,407 of 6,081
Jan 25, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #1,408 of 6,081

That line between the DAP and the amp looks like plumbing, not wiring. Very steampunk.

Yep, I usually stack the DAP/Amp back to back so the cable is bent 180° normally, just flipped it over for the photo so the wire screen is compressed. I DIY it using Nordost ODIN pullouts.

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #1,409 of 6,081
  Yep, I usually stack the DAP/Amp back to back so the cable is bent 180° normally, just flipped it over for the photo so the wire screen is compressed. I DIY it using Nordost ODIN pullouts.

I envy your gear. That's normal for Head-Fi, though, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure that these earphones will be my first ~$3k purchase.

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #1,410 of 6,081
Im glad amazon carries this. Love there return policies so im going to try it out. Its like a more intimate yet longer audition. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back