Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jan 25, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #1,412 of 6,085
I agreed with what you said, the KSE1500 are very transparent, very unbiased but very very detailed at the same time; the bad thing is that I find it hard to fall asleep listening to music with them because I could hear so much details, it just kept me up, they are too engaging to use in bed. They can cause a little bit of ear fatigue as I have to lower the volume after a while.

I also agreed with the importance of pairing them with the right source, with my AK240, they sounded really great; with my iPod nano, they sounded terrible, but not so bad with the iPhone 6, something to do with the DAC? I've never heard such terrible reproduction of music from my iPod nano ever, even my LCD-X sounded OK with it without amp. Comparing to my Layla, even with proper adjustment to the bass pot and with balanced out from the AK240, the SE 1500 give far more details in the high mids and trebles even straight out of the box. 

The only thing I don't like about them is the fit, it was hard to get the left ear piece to fit securely, I had no problem with my SE 846, but with the KSE 1500, I needed one size bigger tips to get a good seal, even so, they don't seem to fit as good as all my other IEMs.

Quote:
  I agree with AnakChan,

The KSE-1500 is very reveling, extraordinarily transparent earpiece that is much  closer to neutral almost unbiased IMHO in it's ability to represent the musical source.  It's very engaging to me. It is an excellent reference for source equipment (as AK mentioned), equalization, component chain matching and I can see both sound and mixing engineers using this earpiece for working closely with musical reproduction sources and for mixing down, artifact removal as so on... For me it's a portable audiophile's dream with the exception of carrying around the amp.  
But if your up-chain equipment that supports the earpiece which includes source, cables, or music recording suck it will show you how bad your choice is.  In other words when the KSE-1500 shows up at your party be prepared for a reality check! It is a no holes barred reproduction like it or not.

Shortly I will compare the KSE to the Layla, and HE-1000's
Sincerely,
-Speed 

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #1,414 of 6,085

So I had to move some of my equipment into the dinning room for now.  I thought this was portable audio...
I'm really enjoying the KSE-1500's they are outstanding when properly paired with the correct source equipment 

Nice gears ! :)

- I see you have Also HE1000. How will you compare KSE-1500 to HE-1000 ? And with your roxanes ?

- Will you use KSE-1500 only on-the-go and when you need isolation and use all the other time the HE1000 ? Or is KSE-1500 good enough to be used some time instead of the HE1000 even at home when isolation is NOT needed ?

- You use KSE-1500 direct out of Analog ik the AK and the HE1000 out of the HUGO ?

Thanks in advance for your answers

( I have good open Headphones, and I am désespéretly looking for a full size Closed ISOLATING headphone. I start to wonder if the KSE-1500 may not be the solution instead ? But.... i have Roxane myself and for le custom IEM are not confortable enough for long listening cessions )

Jan 26, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #1,416 of 6,085
But note that the silicon custom sleeves may turn out to be more comfortable than hard acrylic or metal bodies. I'm not sure myself as I have never tried hard CIEMs. Perhaps others can weigh in.

my experience was when using ER-4s I had their custom silicone tips made and while they fit and blocked the noise they were hard to insert and remove and caused a suction feeling the entire time.  I would think acrylic might be better.  I eventually stopped using them cause you can't just insert and remove them easily when someone wants to talk and they have an eerie feel to them in terms of the listening experience. kind of similar to the active noise cancelling devices.

Jan 26, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,418 of 6,085
Nice gears ! :)

- I see you have Also HE1000. How will you compare KSE-1500 to HE-1000 ? And with your roxanes ?

- Will you use KSE-1500 only on-the-go and when you need isolation and use all the other time the HE1000 ? Or is KSE-1500 good enough to be used some time instead of the HE1000 even at home when isolation is NOT needed ?

- You use KSE-1500 direct out of Analog ik the AK and the HE1000 out of the HUGO ?

Thanks in advance for your answers

( I have good open Headphones, and I am désespéretly looking for a full size Closed ISOLATING headphone. I start to wonder if the KSE-1500 may not be the solution instead ? But.... i have Roxane myself and for le custom IEM are not confortable enough for long listening cessions )

Hi bmichels,

Thank you...

I'm using the KSE-1500's and the JH Layla's for on the go.  Each day I pack the KSE-1500's, JH Layla's, Cord Hugo along with my trusty RWAK 380+RWAK 380 combo unit.
The Layla's have better isolation then the KSE-1500's at the moment and the reason is because the Layla's are fitted with Snugs custom in-ear-tips.  Snugs is currently making me a custom full sleeved version for the KSE's and I expect to have them in a week or so and at that point I hope they will be equivalent regarding sound isolation.  For reference I'm using the black olives for the Shure's as they provide the best fit and sound isolation.  

I have other home audio equipment (not pictured)and I mostly use the HE-1000's as part of my reference system.  They really don't come out of the house as they provide zero isolation for the noisy environment I'm traveling in although I wish they could.

As far as the sound differences between the KSE-1500's vs. JH Layla's vs. HE-1000's regarding sound reproduction:
my preliminary take on it is they all have different sound signatures and I like them all but for different reasons.  Clearly they deploy different technologies with respect to how they approach the issues around sound reproduction   But let me try to better answer your question... 
If I had to compare the 3 together I would classify the HE-1000's and the KSE-1500's closer in sound signature then that of the HE-1000's and the JH Layla's.  However JH Layla's mid-range is closer match to that of the HE-1000's then the KSE-1500's are. Please note this is based on using the RWAK 380 + RWAK 380 amp combo as a source.   

Aside from the sound signature comparison between the three the HE-1000's are in a class by themselves because after all they are full sized cans.  The sheer size of the drivers and physical placement outside the ears, dynamics, visceral impact and spacial separation around the instruments are just outstanding but again not the same.  

Using the AK 380's 3.5 mm analog output I connect the KSE-1500's using the Shure DAP and set it in bypassed EQ mode.  The analog signal including EQ are passed from the AK380 through the Shure DAP.  However digital output of the AK 380 connected to the Cord Hugo will not pass EQ settings as this is the way the AK 380 circuit is designed.

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio,
-Speed.

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #1,419 of 6,085
  Hi bmichels,

Thank you...

I'm using the KSE-1500's and the JH Layla's for on the go.  Each day I pack the KSE-1500's, JH Layla's, Cord Hugo along with my trusty RWAK 380+RWAK 380 combo unit.
The Layla's have better isolation then the KSE-1500's at the moment and the reason is because the Layla's are fitted with Snugs custom in-ear-tips.  Snugs is currently making me a custom full sleeved version for the KSE's and I expect to have them in a week or so and at that point I hope they will be equivalent regarding sound isolation.  For reference I'm using the black olives for the Shure's as they provide the best fit and sound isolation.  

I have other home audio equipment (not pictured)and I mostly use the HE-1000's as part of my reference system.  They really don't come out of the house as they provide zero isolation for the noisy environment I'm traveling in although I wish they could.

As far as the sound differences between the KSE-1500's vs. JH Layla's vs. HE-1000's regarding sound reproduction:
my preliminary take on it is they all have different sound signatures and I like them all but for different reasons.  Clearly they deploy different technologies with respect to how they approach the issues around sound reproduction   But let me try to better answer your question... 
If I had to compare the 3 together I would classify the HE-1000's and the KSE-1500's closer in sound signature then that of the HE-1000's and the JH Layla's.  However JH Layla's mid-range is closer match to that of the HE-1000,'s then the KSE-1500's are. Please note this is based on using the RWAK 380 + RWAK 380 amp combo as a source.   

Aside from the sound signature comparison between the three the HE-1000's are in a class by themselves because after all they are full sized cans.  The sheer size of the drivers and physical placement outside the ears, dynamics, visceral impact and spacial separation around the instruments are just outstanding but again not the same.  

Using the AK 380's 3.5 mm analog output I connect the KSE-1500's using the Shure DAP and set it in bypassed EQ mode.  The analog signal including EQ are passed from the AK380 through the Shure DAP.  However digital output of the AK 380 connected to the Cord Hugo will not pass EQ settings as this is the way the AK 380 circuit is designed.

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio,
-Speed.

Hi Speed,

What is the exact product name of your Snugs custom silicone tips for the Laylas? How big are they (since the Laylas are already quite large) and do they make the Laylas protrude out of the ears even more? Have you had a chance to compare them to Spinfit tips? Also, is your cable plusSound X6 Silver Gold (judging cosmetically from your pic)

I also demoed KSE1500 with analogue out from my AK380, no EQ on both ends and -10db pad on the KSA 1500, the sound was very monitor like with insane details retrieval, but bass / musicality was lacking compared to other TOTL. I need to try it again with Shure olives / SpinFit tips or maybe even mess with the EQ. 

Cheers

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #1,424 of 6,085
  KSE1500 or Layla is not nearly as good as the HE1000 when properly amped.

Is that an answer to something or just a general consideration. What does good mean? Are you just trying be obnoxious with your empty assertions backed up by nothing, which seems to be your hobby on the (fortunately) few threads you grace with your presence, or is there a point to this. Do you think you are helping anyone in anyway? Someone who owns HE1000 "well amped" will gain nothing from this. Someone who own the KSE1500 either. Maybe it makes you happy but then you can just say it in your head? Or on a PM to yourself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back