Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jan 21, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #1,381 of 6,085
Look at all that money stacked together.
Seems I'll be one of the few connecting this to USB. Actually, an Yggdrasil is in the pipeline, although not this year.
Wonder if the KSA1500's DAC is better than the one in the Fiio X5 (my current source). Don't suppose anyone has both?

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #1,385 of 6,085
  Look at all that money stacked together.
Seems I'll be one of the few connecting this to USB. Actually, an Yggdrasil is in the pipeline, although not this year.
Wonder if the KSA1500's DAC is better than the one in the Fiio X5 (my current source). Don't suppose anyone has both?

If I go for these, I'll be doing the same. I'd rather have simple on the go and just use my phone. At home, I can use it on main rig. But I am not interested in getting to anal about it. My speakers will sound better anyway. I doubt anyone is going to be missing detail with these no matter what source they use. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #1,386 of 6,085
mmm.......nothing wrong with just using a smartphone as source but having cycled through my equipment, the KSE 1500 DESERVES to be paired with the best possible source. It really scales nicely (meaning the better the source, the better the KSE 1500 performs). I don't mean to put down the DAC of the KSE 1500. I'm not just a fan of it. Right now, I'm listening to the ancient iBasso DX 100 + KSE combo. It is really, really good (although not in the level of the AK 380 which is still my favorite portable source for the KSE).

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #1,387 of 6,085
^ I agree. My main point was, on the go, I'm not trying to get all tangled up in wires and stacks of components. I'd rather just enjoy it as is and connect it to the home system to scale higher when I need isolation and can appreciate the nuances better. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #1,388 of 6,085
  mmm.....it grows on you. It does not impress immediately but give it time. My short experience thus far footprints my experience with the Layla.

That is terrific news. I found that headphones that are truly excellent are the ones that are subtle to unimpressive at first listen, but have some quality that keeps you subconsciously hooked. The ones that blow me away away at first get really boring after about 15 hours....

Jan 22, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #1,390 of 6,085
did a comprehensive DAP pairing via line-in (analog) audition today.

Astell&Kern
AK380
AK320
AK240

FiiO
X7
X5ii
X3ii

iBasso
DX90
DX80

Sony
ZX2
ZX100
A15

Results were inconclusive as there were so many variables with the settings of the amp.  Will be doing another comprehensive session next week.

Jan 22, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #1,391 of 6,085
My review is 70% done, all is left is checking for grammar and doing the final source testing. There is a good chance I might not include the source matching section as I am getting too many inconclusive result, meaning kse1500 as a unit is decent enough and I see no point in investing in other stuff. 

I will take some picture perhaps pairing the kse1500 on various sources for the sake of size comparison but hopefully that woudnt be an issue with members. I am happy to answer any question regarding source matching and possibly I will post an update later with that section.

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #1,392 of 6,085
  My review is 70% done, all is left is checking for grammar and doing the final source testing. There is a good chance I might not include the source matching section as I am getting too many inconclusive result, meaning kse1500 as a unit is decent enough and I see no point in investing in other stuff. 

I will take some picture perhaps pairing the kse1500 on various sources for the sake of size comparison but hopefully that woudnt be an issue with members. I am happy to answer any question regarding source matching and possibly I will post an update later with that section.

Did you solve the warm source requirement that you currently have? If yes with a warm DAC or with a tube preamp (I think there is only one?)

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #1,393 of 6,085

Dont chèque four gramor its Okey.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #1,394 of 6,085

Did you solve the warm source requirement that you currently have? If yes with a warm DAC or with a tube preamp (I think there is only one?)

It is not a real big issue currently for me. I am fortunate enough to have a few sources in my disposal and I truly believe variety is the key in this hobby and as a result there truly can never be a one true end game device. My main aim currently is to best utilise the minimalist approach for the KSE1500 so in large I will be focusing on the kset1500 as a complete unit with minimum add. Currently testing the internal DAC which in contrast to my first impression it does the job. I feel once again what we hear is largely to do with the earpiece itself. When microdetail is not lost from the recording the ambiance becomes much more natural and this is where perhaps the strength of the unit is. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back