Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jan 20, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #1,367 of 6,085
The pairing with Hugo is certainly not bad but initially i felt the soundstage of Hugo is reduced.

I haven't done my proper source matching yet, hopefully I will do so next week.

I just demoed the kse1500 with the Hugo and unfortunately I have to agree with audionewbi that the soundstage is reduced. When connecting my iphone digital out to the kse1500 there was a significant increase in soundstage, detail and a lot more musical. This makes me think the kse1500 is optimised for moblie devices, and not at least with a high end dac such as the Hugo.

My current Hugo > Alo Rx > K10 sounds much better than the Hugo > kse1500 combo.

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #1,368 of 6,085
I just demoed the kse1500 with the Hugo and unfortunately I have to agree with audionewbi that the soundstage is reduced. When connecting my iphone digital out to the kse1500 there was a significant increase in soundstage, detail and a lot more musical. This makes me think the kse1500 is optimised for moblie devices, and not at least with a high end dac such as the Hugo.

My current Hugo > Alo Rx > K10 sounds much better than the Hugo > kse1500 combo.

As a Hugo user, I have not experienced this with the KSE1500. Two things to be careful with when using the Hugo with the KSE1500:

1. Make sure the Hugo's crossfeed is not enabled--this, of course, would have an effect on soundstage. (I'm assuming crossfeed was not on, but I thought I'd mention it.)

2. Make sure you're not overloading the input of the KSA1500 (the KSE1500 system's amp), which the Hugo's default line-out level (3V) would certainly have a tendency to do (with a lot of recordings). You can do this by listening, and/or visually using the KSA1500's meters. (I've covered this in more detail here). I'm guessing this is what you were experiencing (overloaded input), as there's no circumstance I've yet experienced where the Hugo did not sound better than the KSE1500's internal DAC.

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #1,370 of 6,085

As a Hugo user, I have not experienced this with the KSE1500. Two things to be careful with when using the Hugo with the KSE1500:

1. Make sure the Hugo's crossfeed is not enabled--this, of course, would have an effect on soundstage. (I'm assuming crossfeed was not on, but I thought I'd mention it.)

2. Make sure you're not overloading the input of the KSA1500 (the KSE1500 system's amp), which the Hugo's default line-out level (3V) would certainly have a tendency to do (with a lot of recordings). You can do this by listening, and/or visually using the KSA1500's meters. (I've covered this in more detail here). I'm guessing this is what you were experiencing (overloaded input), as there's no circumstance I've yet experienced where the Hugo did not sound better than the KSE1500's internal DAC.

The crossfeed was not on, and I did initially tried with the Hugo default line out level and yes there was clipping so then I turned down the volume of the Hugo to eliminate the clipping and use only the kse1500 to control the output volume and the soundstage sounded reduced and dull. 

I will try again with the kse1500 audio input pad at -10db. 

For my Hugo > Alo Rx > K10 the Hugo is always set at default line out level with no clipping, I guess the Rx is designed to accommodate that for iems.

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #1,371 of 6,085
I think there are certain things we can speculate but I think perhaps when Rob Watt said don't add any amp to his dac this might be why.

It could very well be just how kse1500 is. I think the smaller soundstage is nothing that significant as kse1500 transparency with no fatigue due to it been truly transparent without artificially been tuned to sound like it is, makes up for it.

Jan 20, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #1,372 of 6,085
  The crossfeed was not on, and I did initially tried with the Hugo default line out level and yes there was clipping so then I turned down the volume of the Hugo to eliminate the clipping and use only the kse1500 to control the output volume and the soundstage sounded reduced and dull. 

For my Hugo > Alo Rx > K10 the Hugo is always set at default line out level with no clipping, I guess the Rx is designed to accommodate that for iems.

We are also assuming that you are not using any EQ or sig selection available on the shure amp. 

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #1,374 of 6,085

I demoed the kse1500 + Hugo again with the Input Pad setting to -10db and can confirm that this has made a significant improvement in sound output. Expansive sound stage, great micro detail, tight bass, very accurate, precise and engaging.

Its at another level compared to my Alo Rx + K10 combo which is why I will be on the waiting list for this unit.  

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #1,375 of 6,085
If I understand correctly the KSE1500 EQ happens in the digital domain. Any advantages that people perceive from the analog input seems to get wiped out using the EQ because the last digital to analog conversion will be in the KSE amp/DAC. Honestly I haven't found a situation with any of my gear where the analog input is absolutely better, even with the EQ off. And I'm a vinyl head. To be honest I haven't tested this with a really top drawer analog cable. But avoiding A/D/D/A steps as a rule improves transparency, and the KSE1500 doesn't seem to be an exception.
I'm still loving these cans with the USB input, although I suspect the digital section could be improved/isn't on the level of the Chord products, or even the Sony ZX2. I'm still hoping the connector will become an industry standard so that we can get a truly top drawer DAC/amp to go with this awesome transducer. 

Quote:
One thing I am certain is how coherent it sounds even compared to single driver dynamic iem. I think the level of detail that kse1500 is able to extract simply leaves a lot of guess work out for our brain. I think in once members get past the non-elevated bass which is actually very well extended and learn to eq, kse1500 has a lot more to offer than anything iem related in the market.

I might have a bias towards the kse as I started this hobby via er4s however I moved past it a while ago due to various reason. I think fans of ex-1000 and er4s uerm should feel right at home with minimum effort. Fans of heavier hitting bass can easily compensate with the eq setting.

After reading through the last many pages of this thread, I thought I'd post some tips for, and thoughts on, the Shure KSE1500:

1. The KSE1500's analog input is very sensitive, so I just keep the -10dB input pad on at all times. Using external DACs with variable outputs, I've tested to see whether or not I'd be able to tell the difference between using the -10dB input pad to get the signal to an acceptable level for the KSA1500 (the model number of the amp), or turning the external DACs' levels down--I couldn't tell a difference.
    1. To get to the input pad setting in the KSA1500, do the following:
      • With the KSA1500 powered on, double-tap the volume/control knob to enter settings.
      • Turn the knob to put the cursor on "AUDIO," and press the knob to select it.
      • Once in "AUDIO," turn the knob to put the cursor on "INPUT PAD" and press the knob to select it.
      • Once in "INPUT PAD," turn the knob to put the cursor on -10dB and press the knob to select it.
      • Press the power button twice to exit the menu.

2. Try all the eartips that come with it. Obviously, ears and fit (and preferences) are different from person to person, so try them all. Of all the tips that came with it, the "olive" foam tips work best for me--these are my current reference tips, and the ones that give me stellar results (I've ordered five packs of them from Shure's online store, since people frequently ask to hear the KSE1500).
    1. I still haven't ordered Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves for the KSE1500, but will, just as soon as I can get to an audiologist for silicone impressions. Because I'm so used to custom-fit IEMs now, I'm really hoping the Sensaphonics sleeves sound at least as good as the foam tips for me--if they don't, then I'll stick with the foamies.

3. If you are not getting good bass--and/or if you are finding it too analytical--you are probably not getting a good seal. While the KSE1500 is not a bass-head headphone, it has (to my ears) exceptionally good bass. Again, try all the tips that come with it. While the silicone dome tips do not work well with the KSE1500 for me, they may be perfect for you.

It seems the most common issue I'm seeing here is with overloading the KSA1500's input, which (with the input pad) is easily dealt with, so engage that input pad. Again, just keep the -10dB one on at all times (unless you have something with a very low nominal output level), and watch the KSA1500's meter. (I haven't yet felt the need to engage the -20dB input pad.)

Some other specific tips:

1. If you're using the Chord Mojo as an external DAC for the KSE1500 (which I find to be an outstanding pairing with the KSE1500), here are some things to think about:
    1. If you use the Mojo's line-out setting (selected by pressing both the volume-up and volume-down buttons simultaneously during power-up), the Mojo's output level is set to 3V. For most recordings that I've used, that's too hot for the KSA1500's analog line-in. If you insist on starting with the Mojo's 3V output, simply play some music (or a loud reference tone if you've got one), and watch the KSA1500's meters for clipping. While watching the meters, press the Mojo's volume-down button until the KSA1500's meters show it's no longer clipping. If you want to do this by ear, that's fine, too--the clipping is very audible, and it's obvious to me in reading the comments that some of you have been running into this. Again, the fix is easy once you know what you're dealing with, and the rewards are fantastic.
    2. This also applies to the Chord Hugo, Hugo TT, and the Chord Dave, if you set those to their line-level output settings.
    3. If you're concerned about degradation from backing the volume down from Chord's default 3V setting, don't be. The line-level output settings of those DACs simply means that they're outputting at a nominal 3V level--it's not engaging any special circuit. Also, from @Rob Watts (in a private message) about the volume control in his DACs (in answer to a question from Head-Fi member @Okkultus) about the use of the Mojo with the KSE1500:

4. So, again, engage the -10dB pad, and back the Mojo (or Hugo, Hugo TT, or Dave) volume control down as necessary from there to prevent clipping.
  2. I do the same thing with the Astell&Kern AK380 (which is my source on-the-move for the KSE1500, and also my desktop source at times). Again, my -10dB input pad on the KSA1500 is always engaged. The line-out setting on the AK380 simply raises the AK380's volume to maximum ("150" on the AK380). With the KSE1500 system, I usually have my AK380's volume level set to 135 or 140 (150 is usually too hot).

I've been using the KSE1500 system so much, I don't even think about all of this anymore, as I'm so used to it. I usually set the Mojo or Hugo (or Hugo TT) to their line-out levels and then back it down--literally takes seconds. And, again, the AK380, I just set to volume level 135 or 140.

I've also been using the KSE1500 with the Ayre QB9 DSD, and the -10dB input pad has worked well with it, and makes for an excellent setup. The Schiit Bifrost Multibit is another DAC I've used a lot with the KSE1500 with great results--and, again, the -10dB input pad has worked well with it, too. If you have a DAC with a fixed output that's too hot for the KSA1500's analog input with the -10dB input pad, then engage its -20dB input pad. Again, I haven't yet felt the need to use the -20dB input pad, but wouldn't hesitate to use it if a gear combo called for it.

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #1,377 of 6,085
If I understand correctly the KSE1500 EQ happens in the digital domain. Any advantages that people perceive from the analog input seems to get wiped out using the EQ because the last digital to analog conversion will be in the KSE amp/DAC. Honestly I haven't found a situation with any of my gear where the analog input is absolutely better, even with the EQ off. And I'm a vinyl head. To be honest I haven't tested this with a really top drawer analog cable. But avoiding A/D/D/A steps as a rule improves transparency, and the KSE1500 doesn't seem to be an exception.
I'm still loving these cans with the USB input, although I suspect the digital section could be improved/isn't on the level of the Chord products, or even the Sony ZX2. I'm still hoping the connector will become an industry standard so that we can get a truly top drawer DAC/amp to go with this awesome transducer. 

I am finding the same level of detail from my xDuoo X3 as I do from a more expensive sources, only thing that changes is overall tonality. This is what has got me really hooked on KSE1500 as detail is not lost, it is not altered due to its own sound signature. It reacts well to different analog input. As lately my interest has shifted towards more warmer sound I tend to like to pair the KSE1500 with warmer sources.

Jan 21, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #1,378 of 6,085
I am finding the same level of detail from my xDuoo X3 as I do from a more expensive sources, only thing that changes is overall tonality. This is what has got me really hooked on KSE1500 as detail is not lost, it is not altered due to its own sound signature. It reacts well to different analog input. As lately my interest has shifted towards more warmer sound I tend to like to pair the KSE1500 with warmer sources.
That is really interesting because this can be a really small stack. Can you post a pic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back