Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jan 27, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #1,426 of 6,085
  Is that an answer to something or just a general consideration. What does good mean? Are you just trying be obnoxious with your empty assertions backed up by nothing, which seems to be your hobby on the (fortunately) few threads you grace with your presence, or is there a point to this. Do you think you are helping anyone in anyway? Someone who owns HE1000 "well amped" will gain nothing from this. Someone who own the KSE1500 either. Maybe it makes you happy but then you can just say it in your head? Or on a PM to yourself?

In terms of transparency, to be clear. KSE1500 is an electrostatic and it is supposed to be very transparent - but not exactly, when you compare it with the HE1000, the HE1000 (being a planar magnetic) is actually way more transparent and its transient response is much better - let alone comparing the KSE1500 with my BHSE-SR009 setup. I would say KSE1500 is not even close to the Lamda series of Stax in the electrostats world - and it is exactly how it should be measured against, because one of the biggest selling points is that it has electrostatic drivers.

Jan 27, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #1,427 of 6,085
Good luck carrying a Lamda headphone on an airplane trip. HE1000 tonality is completely different to the stax, if you consider HE1000 transparent than I think we have a very different definition of that term. To me HE1000 is still either U shape or slightly V shaped. 

I think the strength of KE1500 is instead of them focusing on driver war they tried to do things differently and it is a step in the right direction to me. You are paying for a complete package, no messing about with cables or amplifier, which to some might be a bad thing. Naturally it is an IEM and will have the typical obstacles that IEM face in terms of sounding well like an in ear monitors in contrast to a HE1000 which is an open back headphone. The sound goes directly inside your ear canal compared to HE1000 which uses your Pinna. 

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #1,428 of 6,085
  Alright guys my review is up:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-kse1500-electrostatic-earphone-system/reviews/15107

Thanks a lot @audionewbi! 
It was a pleasure to read your review. 
L3000.gif

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #1,430 of 6,085
In terms of transparency, to be clear. KSE1500 is an electrostatic and it is supposed to be very transparent - but not exactly, when you compare it with the HE1000, the HE1000 (being a planar magnetic) is actually way more transparent and its transient response is much better - let alone comparing the KSE1500 with my BHSE-SR009 setup. I would say KSE1500 is not even close to the Lamda series of Stax in the electrostats world - and it is exactly how it should be measured against, because one of the biggest selling points is that it has electrostatic drivers.
Thanks.

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #1,431 of 6,085
  Hi Speed,

What is the exact product name of your Snugs custom silicone tips for the Laylas? How big are they (since the Laylas are already quite large) and do they make the Laylas protrude out of the ears even more? Have you had a chance to compare them to Spinfit tips? Also, is your cable plusSound X6 Silver Gold (judging cosmetically from your pic)

I also demoed KSE1500 with analogue out from my AK380, no EQ on both ends and -10db pad on the KSE 1500, the sound was very monitor like with insane details retrieval, but bass / musicality was lacking compared to other TO TL. I need to try it again with Shure olives / SpinFit tips or maybe even mess with the EQ. 

Cheers

Hi prismstorm,

What is the exact product name of your Snugs custom silicone tips for the Laylas? 
It looks like Snugs has made some product changes since I placed my order with them a few months back.  The model I have is called "Snugs Wired (Original)" then you need to select the color mine is in Black Metallic.

How big are they (since the Layla's are already quite large) and do they make the Layla's protrude out of the ears even more?  
No not any more then with any other ear tips I've tried including spin fits which were no better for me then the tips supplied by JH Audio

Also, is your cable plusSound X6 Silver Gold (judging cosmetically from your pic)
Good guess my friend you are correct!  It is a balanced PlusSound X6 (six wire) cryo treated sliver litz with a touch of gold.cable and I have it fitted with two heat shrink ear guides terminated with the 2.5 mm connector and I also purchased the 3.5 mm adapter so I can use one cable for both the balanced and unbalanced for the RWAK 380 amps.

I'm using the black olives in large (3 dots) and I completely collapse the foam with my finger tips first (rolling them) and then I individually insert each earpiece in my ear and allow it to expand fully it take about 15 seconds for the seal to completely fit but as you know if you don't get the seal you won't get the bass. The black olives provide me with the best fit and the custom Snugs will do a better job of isolating the sound.

The bass on the KSE-1500 is very present and as you would expect very detailed and beautifully balanced across the frequency spectrum.  The earpiece is really more about tonal balance and less about being a bass crushing IEM 

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio,
-Speed

Jan 27, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #1,433 of 6,085
I don't think that is a particularly fair response, that wasn't the point he was making - kinda cheap and straw man, really. Everyone knows you're not going fit a stax setup on an aeroplane - but everyone knows how these were originally touted; to be on par with high-end electrostatic open-back headphones, so I encourage those types of comparisons; whether he is right or wrong on the term 'transparency'.

Thanks for the time you took to write your review, though.

Jan 27, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #1,434 of 6,085
Yes, there may well be folks making decisions on just a bang-for-your-buck basis where portability and isolation are not concerns. So yeah, the KSE1500s are at the same pricepoint as the HE-1000s.

But as Jude notes in his original video review, the impact of the isolation these provide is not to be underestimated. The level of detail and low distortion of electrostats in combination with a lack of ambient noise due to the headphone seal makes these a real pleasure. (and BTW, make sure you get a good seal. Big difference with custom silicon sleeve and Comply tips for me compared to the other options included)

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #1,436 of 6,085
  Yes, there may well be folks making decisions on just a bang-for-your-buck basis where portability and isolation are not concerns. So yeah, the KSE1500s are at the same pricepoint as the HE-1000s.

But as Jude notes in his original video review, the impact of the isolation these provide is not to be underestimated. The level of detail and low distortion of electrostats in combination with a lack of ambient noise due to the headphone seal makes these a real pleasure. (and BTW, make sure you get a good seal. Big difference with custom silicon sleeve and Comply tips for me compared to the other options included)

BTW, does the comply series for the 846 fit the kse1500s?

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #1,438 of 6,085

BTW, does the comply series for the 846 fit the kse1500s?

Zhuyaj, SE846 tips do fit and in fact Shure includes the same package of sample tips with the SE846 and the KSE1500.

A few on this board have noted that there is something about the shape of the KSE1500 that causes it to fit shallower in the ear than other IEMs, requiring a larger size foam tip.  For me all of the included tips were too small but I have been very happy with the Comply P-series.  They are longer than most tips - for me the large size works great with the KSE1500, and given the shallow fit I would expect that the medium size would be best for smaller ears.  Trying custom tips next...

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #1,440 of 6,085
I do apologise for posting the wrong draft, this is the second draft. There are a lot of discontinuity due to certain content been cut and pasted from earlier attempts.

I will fix it as soon as i get home, sorry guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back