Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Feb 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #4,141 of 41,067
Well, the other DACs I've owned weren't top tier, so there isn't much of a comparison there, the Zodiac is clearly better in every department. I have listened to a few ESS-based DACs, like the W4S units, and the NFB-11 I owned, I did not find them to my liking.  The Ref. 7, I haven't really spent enough time to offer a comment, I had a very brief audition with it.  None of my auditions though made an impression on me as the one I had with the Zodiac Gold.  That's what I went on when buying the Silver, and it does share enough of that Zodiac Gold heritage.

I highly recommend a third-party PS with any Zodiac though (Welbourne Labs or Teddy Pardo), there are blacker backgrounds, better dynamics, micro details, and imaging.

There are a number of Zodiac owners on head-fi that you should PM for their thoughts.  They aren't the most prolific posters or reviewers, so PM is the way to go.  

A couple of them have even owned W4S DAC2s, Ref. 7s and the like, and they have very interesting positions on what DAC they prefer.  
smile.gif

Cheers.

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #4,142 of 41,067

The Zodiac is not just another pretty face. :) 

Amazing unit.  Glad you are liking your Zodiac with the new PS so far.  I may have to try out the Teddy PS sometime and compare. I am sure yours is probably a bit better than the Welbourne and possibly on par with the Voltikus, although this is just speculation.  Would be an interesting shootout if someone had all three. 
Quote:
After a month of waiting, I finally got my Teddy Zodiac PS today.  It somehow managed to get from Israel to my local PO without a "to" address!  Of course, once it arrived in the PO, they were unable to deliver it to me.  Here's a pic, oh, and it's great by the way.  Best purchase I have made on head-fi so far (both the Zodiac together with the PS).

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #4,146 of 41,067

Quote:
Well, the other DACs I've owned weren't top tier, so there isn't much of a comparison there, the Zodiac is clearly better in every department. I have listened to a few ESS-based DACs, like the W4S units, and the NFB-11 I owned, I did not find them to my liking.  The Ref. 7, I haven't really spent enough time to offer a comment, I had a very brief audition with it.  None of my auditions though made an impression on me as the one I had with the Zodiac Gold.  That's what I went on when buying the Silver, and it does share enough of that Zodiac Gold heritage.

I highly recommend a third-party PS with any Zodiac though (Welbourne Labs or Teddy Pardo), there are blacker backgrounds, better dynamics, micro details, and imaging.

There are a number of Zodiac owners on head-fi that you should PM for their thoughts.  They aren't the most prolific posters or reviewers, so PM is the way to go.  

A couple of them have even owned W4S DAC2s, Ref. 7s and the like, and they have very interesting positions on what DAC they prefer.  
smile.gif

Cheers.

Thanks for the detailed reply!  I'll look into it some more.

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #4,149 of 41,067

That "Antelope Zodiac" is sexy!
darthsmile.gif

Quote:
After a month of waiting, I finally got my Teddy Zodiac PS today.  It somehow managed to get from Israel to my local PO without a "to" address!  Of course, once it arrived in the PO, they were unable to deliver it to me.  Here's a pic, oh, and it's great by the way.  Best purchase I have made on head-fi so far (both the Zodiac together with the PS).

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #4,150 of 41,067

Quote:
Gotta get the Super 7 in there where the Squeezbox is (and maybe a different SS amp), but:

Nice set up! High five for another Bay Area Technics 1200 owner. Have you modified your 1200? Also, What vintage receiver is that? 

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #4,151 of 41,067

Quote:

Love your rig it's a fine looking piece of kit. Quick question, hows the amp on the Zodiak or do you use a dedicated headphone amp?

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #4,152 of 41,067
Zodiac looks really interesting, I was about to get one earlier. = )

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #4,153 of 41,067
Quote:
Quick question, hows the amp on the Zodiak or do you use a dedicated headphone amp?

I use an O2 for gain.  It's transparent enough that it lets the Zodiac shine, but it just can't control the LCD-2 drivers like a proper, more powerful amp can.  The Zodiac's head-amp is perfect for something like custom IEMs, Edition 8s, Denon DX000s, only the most efficient HPs in other words.

My custom DIY amp's currently being built, I just have to wait two more months to get it.  
smile.gif
  Hopefully that one is transparent enough to let the Zodiac shine too, it's tube based and not shy about it.

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #4,154 of 41,067
Nice set up! High five for another Bay Area Technics 1200 owner. Have you modified your 1200? Also, What vintage receiver is that? 

JUST got the 1200 so I have a bunch of reading to do and have not done any mods yet...am already interested in rolling an MC cart, though...

The Sansui is a 5000A and already showing a lot of promise with HD 800. @purrin is kind enough to help me re-cap the Sansui at the Bay Area Meet next weekend so I'm excited to see if I can reclaim some of the top end FR. Also hoping the Sansui can serve as my first pre-amp so I can borrow some pre-amps and see what would work best over some time getting to know everything together...thanks!!!

Feb 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #4,155 of 41,067
Quote:

If it sounds as good as it looks, I'm sure it was well worth the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back