Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Dec 23, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #23,116 of 41,128
Now playing 'Relaxin' with Miles Davis Quintet' with a nice grappa glass … that's relaxing :)

simone-rig-grappajpeg.jpeg

Dec 23, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #23,117 of 41,128
Wow - that is just stunning!!!! :astonished:

Congratulations! I can only imagine that it sounds as good as it looks, or better. That's a beautiful guitar.... :)

Disclaimer:
My last guitar post in this thread.

It was only the third arch-top the builder had ever built, though he has been successful at building electrics and acoustics the last 10 years. It’s only three woods, Rosewood, Mahogany and Ebony. He offered to use Mahogany? But normally a person would choose Cedar, Spruce or Maple for the soundboard. Mahogany is just traditionaly not the best choice, but I already had a Cedar soundboard topped acoustic made by him which was bright and super loud, so I looked at it like this was a message that a Mahogany guitar top would work for him. I told myself if he built a guitar the same tone or maybe slighly darker and only half as loud as the Grand Concert Guitar he built I would be happy........and he did just that in the end. Strangely he went out looking for a piece of Mahogany and found this weird color one-of-a-kind piece. After my guitar was finished he had orders for seven more arch-tops but the only Mahogany he could find was regular brown? So this one will be the only one that looks like it does. He’s pretty adventurous having plans for a Rosewood topped arch-top.

When it was finished it took about a month for it to settle and the sound slowly changed for the better getting finalized in sound the last three months; now staying in tune perfectly for a week.

There are only two 14 inch x-braces under the top in the middle, no bracing in any other area. My one concern was that the top may start to sag as they find an area between strong and thin in construction, so it’s loud and bright. Though staying in tune as it does I’m probably OK.

I actually didn’t know exactly what I was looking for in neck dimensions and radius but had ideas from my last guitar he built. I asked him to make the neck slighly wider and with more radius and he nailed it. It has action as low as you would find on a Les Paul. It doesn’t have a whole bunch of sub-low end but does fine in over all balance, especially with-in comparison to itself. It’s slightly woody due to the Mahogany but fairly medium bright and loud.

I only hoped before it was finished that it would play well, and not be too bright or too dark. I figured I would find someone to buy it if it came out muddy sounding or too bright, but I lucked out, it’s a keeper. It sounds best in a room with a small practice amp slighly louder than the guitar itself. Songs I never heard before come out when I play it like a stranger is writing them?

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #23,119 of 41,128
Here's my new bedside listening system based on Tidal Hi-Fi streaming.

YIgenW2.jpg

Components are:

1. Tidal HiFi subscription;

2. Bluesound Node 2i network streamer streaming my Tidal collection - connected via a QED Reference Digital Audio 40 (coax) cable to;

3. Topping D50 DAC - connected via a QED Performance Graphite Audio twin RCA cable to;

4. Arcam rHead headphone amplifier - connected to;

5. beyerdynamic Amiron Home full-sized headphones.

It sounds pretty good and the 3m long cable on the headphones makes it ideal for a bedside system.

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #23,120 of 41,128
GvLVW64r.jpg

hHEUeS0.jpg

Components:

Stax SRM 727II (non modded)
Gustard X20 Pro
Schiit Eitr
Stax SR-007 MK1

Streaming via Tidal Flac and ROON.

Excellent sound. The Gustard is the most recent purchase. I was blown away by the upgrade in sound from the modi multibit. I was already very happy with the sound coming from the mimby + eitr combination. But the Gustard is just much better. More resolving, equally smooth and laid back. Incredible staging. I was on the fence about how much I could expect from upgrading my DAC. I severely underestimated the difference it makes. Objectivists takes another hit in my book. You'd have to be completely deaf to not hear clear differences between certain DACs.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #23,121 of 41,128
Here's my new bedside listening system based on Tidal Hi-Fi streaming.

1. Tidal HiFi subscription;

2. Bluesound Node 2i network streamer streaming my Tidal collection - connected via a QED Reference Digital Audio 40 (coax) cable to;

3. Topping D50 DAC - connected via a QED Performance Graphite Audio twin RCA cable to;

4. Arcam rHead headphone amplifier - connected to;

5. beyerdynamic Amiron Home full-sized headphones.

It sounds pretty good and the 3m long cable on the headphones makes it ideal for a bedside system.

If you are listening to MQA encoded tracks from TIDAL, let me suggest something: use the analog outs from the Node 2i directly into your rHead. You might be surprised how nice the Node 2i's DAC sounds and it will support full MQA rendering, which the digital output will not. And, it removes a box from your night stand.

Just try it...

Dec 23, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #23,122 of 41,128
If you are listening to MQA encoded tracks from TIDAL, let me suggest something: use the analog outs from the Node 2i directly into your rHead. You might be surprised how nice the Node 2i's DAC sounds and it will support full MQA rendering, which the digital output will not. And, it removes a box from your night stand.

Just try it...

Yes, that's what I did try first (analogue RCA outputs from Node 2I direct to my headphone amp). I wasn't happy with the sound. I put the Topping D50 back in the chain and the sound is a lot better, but I lose the full MQA unfolding and rendering. To be honest I only have a couple of MQA tracks in my Tidal playlists at the moment.

I don't know why the analogue RCA outputs, and the 3.5mm headphone out on the front panel of the Node 2i was so inferior as it's rated highly when I was researching the device.

Dec 23, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #23,123 of 41,128
Yes, that's what I did try first (analogue RCA outputs from Node 2I direct to my headphone amp). I wasn't happy with the sound. I put the Topping D50 back in the chain and the sound is a lot better, but I lose the full MQA unfolding and rendering. To be honest I only have a couple of MQA tracks in my Tidal playlists at the moment.

I don't know why the analogue RCA outputs, and the 3.5mm headphone out on the front panel of the Node 2i was so inferior as it's rated highly when I was researching the device.

MQA or not, the topping should sound much better. I've listened to the bluesound 2 (I have one in my living room) as a dac only in my headphone rig, not very nice.

Dec 23, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #23,124 of 41,128
1D6652B4-D94C-4741-8ADF-531F21171847.jpeg

Dec 23, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #23,126 of 41,128
MQA or not, the topping should sound much better. I've listened to the bluesound 2 (I have one in my living room) as a dac only in my headphone rig, not very nice.

Reviewers are reporting a big improvement for the Node 2i over the Node 2. I haven’t heard the Node 2, personally. But the Node 2i’s DAC sounds nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back