Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Dec 24, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #23,132 of 41,131
0E4C9DEC-E2D6-40B3-9F8A-2D0DB968C38D.gif
2BC97B6C-C9C3-4C97-B30F-8735DB81DDBE.gif
PS Audio P5, Sony Server HAP Z1ES, Woo Audio WA33, Sony DAP WM1Z, Focal Utopia, Nordost Sort Kone

Dec 24, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #23,133 of 41,131
Disclaimer:
My last guitar post in this thread.

It was only the third arch-top the builder had ever built, though he has been successful at building electrics and acoustics the last 10 years. It’s only three woods, Rosewood, Mahogany and Ebony. He offered to use Mahogany? But normally a person would choose Cedar, Spruce or Maple for the soundboard. Mahogany is just traditionaly not the best choice, but I already had a Cedar soundboard topped acoustic made by him which was bright and super loud, so I looked at it like this was a message that a Mahogany guitar top would work for him. I told myself if he built a guitar the same tone or maybe slighly darker and only half as loud as the Grand Concert Guitar he built I would be happy........and he did just that in the end. Strangely he went out looking for a piece of Mahogany and found this weird color one-of-a-kind piece. After my guitar was finished he had orders for seven more arch-tops but the only Mahogany he could find was regular brown? So this one will be the only one that looks like it does. He’s pretty adventurous having plans for a Rosewood topped arch-top.

When it was finished it took about a month for it to settle and the sound slowly changed for the better getting finalized in sound the last three months; now staying in tune perfectly for a week.

There are only two 14 inch x-braces under the top in the middle, no bracing in any other area. My one concern was that the top may start to sag as they find an area between strong and thin in construction, so it’s loud and bright. Though staying in tune as it does I’m probably OK.

I actually didn’t know exactly what I was looking for in neck dimensions and radius but had ideas from my last guitar he built. I asked him to make the neck slighly wider and with more radius and he nailed it. It has action as low as you would find on a Les Paul. It doesn’t have a whole bunch of sub-low end but does fine in over all balance, especially with-in comparison to itself. It’s slightly woody due to the Mahogany but fairly medium bright and loud.

I only hoped before it was finished that it would play well, and not be too bright or too dark. I figured I would find someone to buy it if it came out muddy sounding or too bright, but I lucked out, it’s a keeper. It sounds best in a room with a small practice amp slighly louder than the guitar itself. Songs I never heard before come out when I play it like a stranger is writing them?

Thanks for the additional details! :)

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #23,137 of 41,131
SonyFan posted >>> I might just go all out and buy a Sennheiser HD800, to compliment the Modded AH-D5000. I might as well, then be done with this hobby for the next 10 years.

Do you really have that kind of will power? ... I don't

Dec 24, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #23,138 of 41,131
SonyFan posted >>> I might just go all out and buy a Sennheiser HD800, to compliment the Modded AH-D5000. I might as well, then be done with this hobby for the next 10 years.

Do you really have that kind of will power? ... I don't

Lol well I did go 6 years perfectly content with just 2 headphones (Denon AH-D5000 and AKG K702), from 2008 to 2014. But that was back when I was less knowledgeable about sound quality. I've spent the last 4 (almost 5) years trying out different headphones, trying to find out if there exists any other headphones that I would consider better than those 2 I mentioned, I've owned at least 60 (lost count) different headphones since 2014 and so far I haven't found any other headphones I consider to be better. So i've now kinda reached the end of the road..the mod's I done to my AH-D5000, takes the sound to the next level, I really doubt I will hear anything better regardless of price..but I reckon the Sennheiser HD800 would be a great compliment to the AH-D5000, not the AKG anymore as the modded AH-D5000 surpasses that in sound quality now. So yeah I think I could probably be content with just an AH-D5000 and HD800 for many years and not give in to buying any more headphones. I will keep my Sony MDR7510 as it is practical and does sound good. Sorry for the long answer, lol.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #23,141 of 41,131
Not exactly head-fi but everyone loves dogs! Merry Christmas, folks.

9939292_l.jpg

9939291_l.jpg
My God bro, almost brought tears to my eyes. Had 2 dogs in my life that looked "exactly" like both your pups. Incredible resemblance and freaking me out in a good way. Miles and Millie were their names. Thanx for bringing back some fond and heartfelt memories for me. They were probably my most beloved dogs/companions I've had in my life until they passed at 14 and15 years old.
Merry Christmas!

Dec 25, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #23,144 of 41,131
My God bro, almost brought tears to my eyes. Had 2 dogs in my life that looked "exactly" like both your pups. Incredible resemblance and freaking me out in a good way. Miles and Millie were their names. Thanx for bringing back some fond and heartfelt memories for me. They were probably my most beloved dogs/companions I've had in my life until they passed at 14 and15 years old.
Merry Christmas!

These two are Badger and Coco (with another, Mollie, not pictured). Glad they could bring some joy to others out there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back