Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Dec 19, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #23,086 of 41,038
Guess what is behind this little Blue Led that I have installed under my BHSE :yum: ?

IMG_6457.jpg IMG_6455.jpg

Who heard about "Schumann Wave" generators ? :robot:

"Schuman Wave (7.83 Hz) can reduce the interference of radio and electromagnetic waves, which can reduce music details, improve sound field width, and reduce standing wave impact. Additionally, Schumann wave can make people relaxed and listen more sound details. It will have effective positive impact on sleep quality, thinking and creation after long-time using"

Very promising.... while I agree it may seems strange. Anyway, at 20$ from China, I decided to give it a try.... we will see...

IMG_6459.jpg

Dec 20, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #23,088 of 41,038
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/bmichels.341957/
That looks like the radio transponders they put in cloths. Basically those patches in cloths wait till they get near a receiver and relay specific information about their location which then gets uploaded to the internet and sent back to the factory. Few people know these patches work that way. I’m not sure of the exact use of the information though before the cloths are wholesaled it would guard against theft?

Dec 20, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #23,089 of 41,038
Finally have the setup i've been looking to achieve for a long time now though I had to remove the TV stand to make it possible, lol. Looks a bit clustered and unprofessional but my goal was to get a system that can do everything in terms of compatibility with other devices, with no compromise in sound quality, I figured Sony are the best at doing that.
With the speakers placed the way they are, I can also start mixing/mastering my music properly. From here on I can just focus on the speakers/headphones and no longer need to worry about amps etc etc.
1t3pqp.jpg

Now that's the epitome of what I'd call a centre-tainment setup
cool.gif

Dec 22, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #23,097 of 41,038
Blond strat--nice! (as is your electronics stack)

Thanks! :)

I built this guitar to recreate the sound of my very first guitar (a then new 1980 Matsumoku factory built Strat copy). A lot of very nice guitars came and went while that Japanese Strat remained as my #1. It saw far too many gigs to count, until 1988 when it finally needed a complete refret. The tech to whom my local shop farmed the refret out botched the job and that was the end of the neck.

I took measurements of everything (including several cross sections of the neck) and made detailed documentation, which I still have to this day. I then gave the guitar to a very close friend who sourced a new neck for it and he still plays it to this day.

In 2005, after going through many Strats over the years looking for a replacement I decided to build one. I took my notes down to USA Custom Guitars and they made an Alder body from wood I picked out at their shop, and a neck that very closely matched the original in profile, but with a 10" fingerboard radius and a 25" scale length (the guitar that became my primary in 1987 was a pre-production Alder bodied PRS CE24, one of a limited number of hand-built then 'PRS Classic Electric' guitars to gauge market interest for bolt-on neck PRS guitars).

Pickups with similar impedance, wire, and magnets were used (I had replaced the bridge single coil with a PAF that my uncle had sitting unused so a Lindy Fralin Unbucker was installed in this guitar). Body weight is a near dead match for that of the original. Fret wire is the same width and height of that used on the original neck, and a vintage type single action truss rod was used. The hardware is an area where this guitar is a clear upgrade (Hipshot trem bridge and locking tuners, bone nut, cream Tusq string trees, CTS pots, PIO tone cap, 180pF poly film treble bleed cap, position 2 on the 5-way selector switch auto splits the bridge pickup to single coil). USACG upgraded the neck to beautifully uniform flamed maple without up charging for the wood used (nice surprise!).

The fingerboard edges were rolled to give the neck a well played in feel. The body has 50's contours. The headstock is a modified Tele profile with a milled out, clear epoxy filled USACG logo. All wood is finished with Fornby's Tung Oil - much softer feel than raw wood or clear coat, and fast when hands sweat. The parchment pickguqrd gives a 'vintage' vibe to the look. The black hardware is a nod to the 80's.

The resulting guitar's sound and vibe are very close to the original when the two guitars are compared side-by-side, with this new one being the more nuanced and soulful of the two. I couldn't have imagined a better outcome.

20180630_121619.jpg

In 2009 I decided to build a 4-string bass with a similar look. This instrument takes a more modern approach in body style (Dinky-J body) with a modern/vintage electronics package. It sports a Dominger late 50's spec P-Bass pickup, a Nordstrand Big Single bridge pickup (Dual Coil shown, pick taken before the Big Single was installed), a Nordstrand active/passive 3-band preamp with master passive tone control. Once again, no charge for the flame maple neck. This thing nails the '58 P-Bass sound, and covers a lot of sonic territory otherwise. Same look (colors, finish, feel). Neck profile is that of the 4-string MusicMan Bongo bass. Definitely the most versatile bass I've ever played!

5yVvshJ_d.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back