Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Feb 22, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #17,236 of 41,119
Got a new CD in and decided to indulge my secret love for speaker isolation cones:

Spikes are for coupling, not isolation.

Shows how much I know about speaker-fi. I saw them in search keyword groupings as isolation feet/cones. I just got them for looks honestly.

Kojaku

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #17,237 of 41,119
@ AHorseNamedJeff

I would be scared to put such a heavy/big headphone on another DAC/Amp. What if it broke one day ,and just destroyed that equipment.
sorry, what are you referring to?

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #17,238 of 41,119

What speakers are those? 

They are Cakewalk MA-15D. An awesome and great looking set of desktop monitors imho.

beerchug.gif

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #17,240 of 41,119

Bad photo here :frowning2:

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #17,241 of 41,119
I threw an HRT iStreamer into the chain.
Really nice piece of kit...clever design...good DAC

The extra output voltage over the iPad LOD really helps as the single gain amps rely on that voltage.

iPad > iStreamer > 6CL6 Spud Amp > HD600 ... this is good!

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #17,242 of 41,119

The extra output voltage over the iPad LOD really helps as the single gain amps rely on that voltage.

Wait, are you using a LOD or a digital line-out? Also, that's really pretty amp. 

Kojaku

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #17,243 of 41,119

Wait, are you using a LOD or a digital line-out? Also, that's really pretty amp. 

Kojaku

I was using a LOD before ie. taking the analog line out from the iPad.
This had low output voltage and I had a little RFI noise.

Now I am mining just the digital signal from the iPod using the HRT iStreamer which is a iDevice specific transport and DAC. 

This amp really likes at least 2.0 v RMS which the iStreamer delivers, but the iPad LOD does not.
Also all RFI interference is gone...highly recommended.

Feb 22, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #17,244 of 41,119
  I was using a LOD before ie. taking the analog line out from the iPad.
This had low output voltage and I had a little RFI noise.

Now I am mining just the digital signal from the iPod using the HRT iStreamer which is a iDevice specific transport and DAC. 

This amp really likes at least 2.0 v RMS which the iStreamer delivers, but the iPad LOD does not.
Also all RFI interference is gone...highly recommended.

Oh ok, I misunderstood. I was confused as to why you'd need an iStreamer if you would just be using a LOD anyway. I wasn't even sure the iStreamer has analog in/out.

Kojaku

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #17,245 of 41,119
Curious... whats the advantage in using: iPad > LOD > HRT > Amp ?  Versus: iPad TOSLINK Optical > Some other DAC with optilcal input > Amp ?

You mention EMI/FRI noise from the LOD, doesn't optical over fiber completely alleviate this?

Thanks, thats a great setup, love the less-is more simplicity.

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #17,246 of 41,119

Wow this is a nice simple setup with your iPad, I like it a lot!

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #17,247 of 41,119
  Curious... whats the advantage in using: iPad > LOD > HRT > Amp ?  Versus: iPad TOSLINK Optical > Some other DAC with optilcal input > Amp ?

You mention EMI/FRI noise from the LOD, doesn't optical over fiber completely alleviate this?

Thanks, thats a great setup, love the less-is more simplicity.

This is iPad > HRT > Amp...there's no LOD anymore, just the 30 pin HRT cable. You can't use an LOD to connect the iStreamer.
The EMI/FRI noise came from LOD I was using before I think because of the wi-fi in the iPad - an iPod had no EMI/FRI noise through same LOD.
I thought the HRT was the most simple setup compared to iPad > transport > DAC > amp.

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #17,249 of 41,119

Awesome setup :)

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #17,250 of 41,119
Furrall:

Do you think the look of the future (for us geeky/nerdy/headphony type folks) is a bakelite knob and wires that go into the top?

I want to love it but I'm having problems with the look and feel.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back