Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Apr 9, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #12,781 of 41,357
btw

how does the HD 650 vs HD 600 perform on the WA2? i never heard the HD 600 before, but i can imagine them to pair very well with the WA2.

i never did like the hd 650s on the WA2, was very sweet and warm, but a little slow

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #12,783 of 41,357
Quote:

I'm rather fond of the Senns on the WA2. It's a great combination. I keep toying with picking up another pair after having drifted off in other directions.

It's taken me a really long time (see my join date) to come across a source and amp combination that gets the Sennheiser's to sound how I like.  I'm tempted to try some of the new, more expensive DAC's on the market now, but the DL III still holds it's own quite well.

btw

how does the HD 650 vs HD 600 perform on the WA2? i never heard the HD 600 before, but i can imagine them to pair very well with the WA2.

i never did like the hd 650s on the WA2, was very sweet and warm, but a little slow

It's well documented, but the HD600's are a bit more neutral.  Call it the Sennheiser veil if you like, but the HD600's certainly don't suffer as much as the HD650's.  

If you still have a pair of HD650's, you might try removing the foam underneath the ear pads and replacing it with nylon.

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #12,785 of 41,357
Quote:
Well, as far as upgrading, space is really a concern. I got the M1 because they look like computer speakers, so I can just set them on the desk and they do wonders. I may upgrade down the road when I have more space, but I don't know. However, I am going to keep an eye on those B1 speakers. They look nice and sized appropriately for the space. I may have to find some to audition.

And, yeah, I really want a different spot for the table. I originally had it inside the cabinet, but I was not a huge fan of having it there. But due to space constraints, that's really the only spot I have. Where can I get dampening wood for in-between the two? Anyone have any suggestions or links to what I should do? As far as dampening, I really am clueless. I know all the technical stuff but not the things like that and the TT was in my cabinet anyway when I had my old receiver.

Denton definitely is a hell of a music town. 35 Denton was amazing, and I'm always hanging out at Dan's and RG.

I have a suggestion in terms of furniture. Check out a local IKEA. I know IKEA may be off-putting to some, but I haven't had bad luck with any of the stuff I buy from there. Plus who knows, you might even find something else that could help you achieve more space?

I'd go with the Lerberg CD wall shelf, which would be great for your CDs. They aren't expensive either. - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70115521/

That takes away the CDs from being stored in the same location as everything else. Then the small EXPEDIT Shelving unit would be great for your turntable, receiver, and records. Maybe your headphones can take advantage of some of the room left available, too. - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20135300/#/60135299

Hope that sort of helps! :)

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #12,789 of 41,357
If you plan on putting stuff on top of an Expedit unit please expect to need vibration dampening of some sort. They make pretty poor turntable stands without an isolation platform. I could tap the side of the shelf with my knuckle way down at the bottom of my 2x2 and hear it through the speakers. Putting it on one full of LPs might help, but they are hollow, after all.

Quote:
I have a suggestion in terms of furniture. Check out a local IKEA. I know IKEA may be off-putting to some, but I haven't had bad luck with any of the stuff I buy from there. Plus who knows, you might even find something else that could help you achieve more space?

I'd go with the Lerberg CD wall shelf, which would be great for your CDs. They aren't expensive either. - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70115521/

That takes away the CDs from being stored in the same location as everything else. Then the small EXPEDIT Shelving unit would be great for your turntable, receiver, and records. Maybe your headphones can take advantage of some of the room left available, too. - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20135300/#/60135299

Hope that sort of helps! :)

+1 It does look like a CTH.

Quote:
Looks like a CTH.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #12,790 of 41,357
Quote:

Nice setup dude, Im curious why did you sell your HE-400? 

It was wild ride with HE-400, really liked them when I first heard them. But after some time I got Schiit Magni and Modi and when I heard HD650 of this combo I absolutely loved it, spent lot of time with them and than when I put back HE-400 it felt so wrong to me that I never got used to them again and it was kind of over of my story.

Bass is definitely amazing on HE-400 no question about that, but mids just don't do it for me compared to HD650, I think it's because HE-400 are more laid back, I found out my preference is leaning towards forward headphones and I can't turn them too loud because treble on them would destroy my ears.

There is just something magical about well amped HD650. Can't get enough of them with Schiit Lyr.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #12,791 of 41,357
Quote:
If you plan on putting stuff on top of an Expedit unit please expect to need vibration dampening of some sort. They make pretty poor turntable stands without an isolation platform. I could tap the side of the shelf with my knuckle way down at the bottom of my 2x2 and hear it through the speakers. Putting it on one full of LPs might help, but they are hollow, after all.

Have you tried the Ikea Lack side table? It's super-light, "paper" filled with a rigid, lacquered shell. The effect is similar to a Rega plinth - light and rigid - to not store any vibrations. It's a famous cheap tweak for Rega owners, with legs as a table or no legs as a stand. I haven't tried it because at 23.5" square it's too big for any rack I have, but looks cool as a TT table:

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #12,792 of 41,357
The Lack had the same problem, IMO. I actually made a rack out of Lack tables a few months ago and while they look great, they're still not great stands. I'd still recommend isolation of some sort.

Quote:
Have you tried the Ikea Lack side table? It's super-light, "paper" filled with a rigid, lacquered shell. The effect is similar to a Rega plinth - light and rigid - to not store any vibrations. It's a famous cheap tweak for Rega owners, with legs as a table or no legs as a stand. I haven't tried it because at 23.5" square it's too big for any rack I have, but looks cool as a TT table:

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #12,793 of 41,357
I like that Lack table, but if it doesn't have any dampening, it's not worth it, IMO.

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #12,794 of 41,357
Quote:

It was wild ride with HE-400, really liked them when I first heard them. But after some time I got Schiit Magni and Modi and when I heard HD650 of this combo I absolutely loved it, spent lot of time with them and than when I put back HE-400 it felt so wrong to me that I never got used to them again and it was kind of over of my story.

Bass is definitely amazing on HE-400 no question about that, but mids just don't do it for me compared to HD650, I think it's because HE-400 are more laid back, I found out my preference is leaning towards forward headphones and I can't turn them too loud because treble on them would destroy my ears.

There is just something magical about well amped HD650. Can't get enough of them with Schiit Lyr.

Yeah the HD650 is like a sleeping giant when underamped, glad you're enjoying them.

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #12,795 of 41,357
Quote:
I like that Lack table, but if it doesn't have any dampening, it's not worth it, IMO.

Google Rega Ikea Lack and you will hear some different opinions. You can use something between the TT and table to damp, but just don't mass load.
It is based on a different theory that heavy isolation bases and plinths store vibrations and then retransmit to the TT.
This why Rega bases are light and rigid and not heavy or suspended. It's just a different take.
Supposedly the Lack are the only Ikea product made this way as they are "paper" filled and not fibre or particle board.
Might only work with Rega style TTs and not at all with more sophisticated plinth designs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back