Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Apr 9, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #12,752 of 41,204
Quote:

I have been in a never-ending state of upgrading, and I'm quite satisfied now. It's a cheap table with a rare cartridge, so I don't want to replace it. I have the Kenwood KD-48F with an Audio Technica 8008 cart into the Marantz 2252B then to some B&W M1. From my computer, I have Songbird to my uDAC-2 then to my Marantz. My entire headphone collection is Sennheiser HD558, Sennheiser HD280Pro, Sol Republic Tracks Ultra, B&W C5 and an old pair of Bose OE TriPorts. Got tons of new and old records and CDs! Tell me whatcha think! I'm a student, so can't afford a ton and I have a surround in my main room anyway.

I think you have a very nice setup for the money. The M1 is a very capable speaker contrary to its appearance. I think with time you'll find a reason to upgrade. If you ever do, check out the Alpha B1 from PSB Speakers. Its a great pair that won't break the bank (I've seen them go as low as $249 on eBay, but normally they are $279-$299).

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #12,753 of 41,204
The only thing I would change is I would find a different spot for the turntable, if possible.  

That receiver probably generates a bit of heat, and turntables will always benefit from more solid resting spots.

Apr 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #12,755 of 41,204
Quote:
Quite proud of my new bedroom listening setup...think I'm finally satisfied.

I have been in a never-ending state of upgrading, and I'm quite satisfied now. It's a cheap table with a rare cartridge, so I don't want to replace it. I have the Kenwood KD-48F with an Audio Technica 8008 cart into the Marantz 2252B then to some B&W M1. From my computer, I have Songbird to my uDAC-2 then to my Marantz. My entire headphone collection is Sennheiser HD558, Sennheiser HD280Pro, Sol Republic Tracks Ultra, B&W C5 and an old pair of Bose OE TriPorts. Got tons of new and old records and CDs! Tell me whatcha think! I'm a student, so can't afford a ton and I have a surround in my main room anyway.

All I had in my college days was a pair of AKG 240's, gifted Bose TriPorts, Frankenstein'd speakers, and a Marantz 2270.  Oh, and Denton is a hell of a town for music -- don't forget to take advantage while you're there.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #12,757 of 41,204
Well, as far as upgrading, space is really a concern. I got the M1 because they look like computer speakers, so I can just set them on the desk and they do wonders. I may upgrade down the road when I have more space, but I don't know. However, I am going to keep an eye on those B1 speakers. They look nice and sized appropriately for the space. I may have to find some to audition.

And, yeah, I really want a different spot for the table. I originally had it inside the cabinet, but I was not a huge fan of having it there. But due to space constraints, that's really the only spot I have. Where can I get dampening wood for in-between the two? Anyone have any suggestions or links to what I should do? As far as dampening, I really am clueless. I know all the technical stuff but not the things like that and the TT was in my cabinet anyway when I had my old receiver.

Denton definitely is a hell of a music town. 35 Denton was amazing, and I'm always hanging out at Dan's and RG.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #12,759 of 41,204
eBay is the best source for something cheap that does the trick.

I personally think the Walnut would look great...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walnut-Hardwood-Butcher-Block-Cutting-Boards-/150588446627?pt=Kitchen_Tools_Gadgets&var=&hash=item230fc557a3

Along with some of these...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X2X7-8-CORK-ANTI-VIBRATION-ISOLATOR-PADS-HVAC-QUANITY-16-PCS-/140949806236?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d1435c9c

Lift 'em up with 2 of those under each corner, get the chopping block which is the right size for you table. Done.

It'll reduce vibration to an extent, and help with heat dissipation.

Quote:
Well, as far as upgrading, space is really a concern. I got the M1 because they look like computer speakers, so I can just set them on the desk and they do wonders. I may upgrade down the road when I have more space, but I don't know. However, I am going to keep an eye on those B1 speakers. They look nice and sized appropriately for the space. I may have to find some to audition.

And, yeah, I really want a different spot for the table. I originally had it inside the cabinet, but I was not a huge fan of having it there. But due to space constraints, that's really the only spot I have. Where can I get dampening wood for in-between the two? Anyone have any suggestions or links to what I should do? As far as dampening, I really am clueless. I know all the technical stuff but not the things like that and the TT was in my cabinet anyway when I had my old receiver.

Denton definitely is a hell of a music town. 35 Denton was a hell of a lot of fun.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #12,760 of 41,204
Quote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walnut-Hardwood-Butcher-Block-Cutting-Boards-/150588446627?pt=Kitchen_Tools_Gadgets&var=&hash=item230fc557a3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X2X7-8-CORK-ANTI-VIBRATION-ISOLATOR-PADS-HVAC-QUANITY-16-PCS-/140949806236?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d1435c9c

Lift 'em up with 2 of those under each corner, get the chopping block which is the right size for you table. Done.

Thanks! As far as the chopping block, are you guys suggesting I place it directly on the top of the amplifier? That doesn't seem like it'd help with heat dissipation. Maybe I'm wrong. Gonna order those vibration pads, for sure.

Apr 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #12,761 of 41,204
No no, put a stack (2 pads) between the block and the top of your amp. That'll give about an inch and a half for heat to get out.

I bought some of those pads myself. Those are the 2x2, but there are 4x4s as well that will work for bigger stuff (keeps it stable). They are constructed well, and I use them for piece of mind, but I haven't like...A/Bed to see if it made a difference.

Quote:

Thanks! As far as the chopping block, are you guys suggesting I place it directly on the top of the amplifier? That doesn't seem like it'd help with heat dissipation. Maybe I'm wrong. Gonna order those vibration pads, for sure.

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #12,762 of 41,204
Quote:

These links were actually really helpful! I was looking at some Maple Shade stuff for isolation blocks for my record player, but these look quite good and are quite a bit cheaper. Does anyone know if they work just as well, or is the Maple Shade stuff better? I can't see why it would be.

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #12,763 of 41,204
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/recommendations-for-turntable-isolation-platforms.180388/

This thread is where I got the original link and idea. It seems some say Mapleshade is better due to it being a completely solid block rather than pieces squished together. Not sure why it'd make that much difference, and these are a 1/4 of the price.

Towards the end of the thread there's a guy that got one of the 3" thick blocks, painted it black, and now uses it as a platform for his VPI Classic.

I'm considering using 2" or 3" boards as shelves for a rack I want to build.

EDIT: Here's a link to some thicker ones.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawn5879/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3686

Quote:

These links were actually really helpful! I was looking at some Maple Shade stuff for isolation blocks for my record player, but these look quite good and are quite a bit cheaper. Does anyone know if they work just as well, or is the Maple Shade stuff better? I can't see why it would be.

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #12,764 of 41,204
Quote:

Sex! I've been trying to source that PureAV but it's discontinued in Australia. It looks great with the M51/Mj stack. You gave me the urge to snap mine again. It's a shame not many here know how awesome this pairing is.

I got the idea from Marv, using its programmable outlets to turn on stuff in the right order. Plus, I thought it looked nice.

The paring is quite awesome and should be a nice tide me over until the statement gear. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #12,765 of 41,204
I use a Boos Block (maple butcher's block).  It's only about 1.5" thick, but I have noticed that it definitely helps isolate my gear.  The best part: you can find them for a fraction of the price on Amazon compared to what you'd pay for a Mapleshade product.  Maybe it's just me, but I have a VERY hard time justifying paying $200-$300+ for a peice of rounded maple wood.  Thus, the Boos Block serves as a perfect solution for me, and they make them in all sorts of shapes/sizes.

Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back