Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Apr 9, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #12,766 of 41,224
Quote:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/recommendations-for-turntable-isolation-platforms.180388/

This thread is where I got the original link and idea. It seems some say Mapleshade is better due to it being a completely solid block rather than pieces squished together. Not sure why it'd make that much difference, and these are a 1/4 of the price.

Towards the end of the thread there's a guy that got one of the 3" thick blocks, painted it black, and now uses it as a platform for his VPI Classic.

I'm considering using 2" or 3" boards as shelves for a rack I want to build.

EDIT: Here's a link to some thicker ones.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawn5879/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3686

Is the Maple Shade a completely solid block and the butcher block not though? Neither really states if they're a solid block, they both just say "solid wood". Anyway, I don't have the best turntable anyway, so I'm sure that the butcher block will be enough for me. Thanks!

Apr 9, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #12,767 of 41,224
Butcher blocks are solid wood, but they are made of smaller pieces and then mashed together. Mapleshade blocks are one big piece of wood, IIRC.

Quote:

Is the Maple Shade a completely solid block and the butcher block not though? Neither really states if they're a solid block, they both just say "solid wood". Anyway, I don't have the best turntable anyway, so I'm sure that the butcher block will be enough for me. Thanks!

Apr 9, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #12,768 of 41,224
Quote:

Mapleshade is air dried solid wood. Some suggest buying local kiln dried as the Mapleshade may warp if it goes to a completely different climate (more dry or humid). 

Mapleshade claims solid wood is better than butcher block, but who knows.

TTVJ sells soemthing similar to the Isoblocks for much less but iI have not tried either.
One can use these under the feet or the plinth without the wood platform. http://www.ttvjaudio.com/TTVJ_Isolation_Pads_p/aat0000323.htm

Another alternative to wood is a piece of thick acrylic. If you have a Tap Plastics near you they have scraps for cheap. I have one under my CD on 3 x HRT couplers.

The cheapest solution is one hockey puck under each of your turntable feet. 

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #12,770 of 41,224
God those Rega CDPs are gorgeous.

Those pads are basically the same ones I linked from eBay. May as well buy from Todd though.

Quote:
TTVJ sells soemthing similar to the Isoblocks for much less but iI have not tried either.
One can use these under the feet or the plinth without the wood platform. http://www.ttvjaudio.com/TTVJ_Isolation_Pads_p/aat0000323.htm

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #12,771 of 41,224
Will also add few photos of my current little "station"

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #12,772 of 41,224
Nice! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #12,775 of 41,224
Figured I'd do the WA2 some more justice and added some HD600's to the mix, along with a headphone stand from Woo Audio.

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #12,776 of 41,224
Quote:
Figured I'd do the WA2 some more justice and added some HD600's to the mix, along with a headphone stand from Woo Audio.

nice! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #12,778 of 41,224
Quote:

I'm rather fond of the Senns on the WA2. It's a great combination. I keep toying with picking up another pair after having drifted off in other directions.

Apr 9, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #12,780 of 41,224
I was going to through in a whole sleeve of golf balls!
I'm sold on transports without drawers!
Re: new Rega, I think smaller footprints are going to be the more and more prevalent but I also like my Planet more.
Then again when I compare to other new stuff the Rega amp/CD are not all bad at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back