Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Apr 7, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #12,721 of 41,069
Quote:
Very nice. A few questions if you don't mind. What did you have before the schiit DAC, do you like it, and are you thinking of upgrading your amp?

I had/have the Headroom Micro DAC and the Schiit Modi.  The differences aren't huge but are very obvious.  Everything sounds a little deeper, everything seems to decay better, there's just a little more of everything.  I'm pondering all kinds of ideas on what to do about an amp.  I never really intended to buy the Lyr, just saw too good a deal on the FS forums and couldn't pass it up.  I do love it, sounds better than anything else I have and the Amperex Orange Globes make my DT880s sound great.  However, I still get this feeling that my HE-500's can sound better.  I've been thinking about a Mjolnir, but I'd also like to move away from Schiit (nothing against them, they've been good to me but variety and the spice of life and all that).

Apr 7, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #12,722 of 41,069
Quote:
I had/have the Headroom Micro DAC and the Schiit Modi.  The differences aren't huge but are very obvious.  Everything sounds a little deeper, everything seems to decay better, there's just a little more of everything.  I'm pondering all kinds of ideas on what to do about an amp.  I never really intended to buy the Lyr, just saw too good a deal on the FS forums and couldn't pass it up.  I do love it, sounds better than anything else I have and the Amperex Orange Globes make my DT880s sound great.  However, I still get this feeling that my HE-500's can sound better.  I've been thinking about a Mjolnir, but I'd also like to move away from Schiit (nothing against them, they've been good to me but variety and the spice of life and all that).

Ever consider getting the Hifiman EF5 amp? GObs of power and its made for them :D

Apr 7, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #12,727 of 41,069
Quote:
Did you buy the rods longer and get them cut or did they just sell different lengths?

The latter. They have several different options for both diameter and length, so it should be pretty easy to find what you're looking for. 

If you're looking for a non-standard length, I know they offer straight-cuts of lumber and piping in-store, so there's a chance they'd offer it for the rods as well.

Apr 7, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #12,728 of 41,069
Thanks for the info. Might have to make a trip to Home Depot soon. :)

EDIT: 3/4" x 24" (or 36") rods. Perfect.

Quote:

The latter. They have several different options for both diameter and length, so it should be pretty easy to find what you're looking for. 

If you're looking for a non-standard length, I know they offer straight-cuts of lumber and piping in-store, so there's a chance they'd offer it for the rods as well.

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #12,729 of 41,069

M-Stage just arrived this weekend and I must say, this may be getting close to endgame for me.

I might upgrade my HD595s to HD650s (but I now only use the '595s for, well, less than optimally recorded material as they're more forgiving than the K702s, so is there much point?) and I'd like a better pair of closed cans (I enjoy the DT770s but I can see them being replaced by Mad Dogs in the next couple of months) as they're used quite a lot.

Other than that, I think I'm close to the sweet point on price/performance ratio so I may be out of this mad game soon. If only I can kick head-fi like I've kicked cigarettes (day 5
biggrin.gif
) then my wallet might just survive.

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #12,730 of 41,069
^^ FWIW the hd650 is my end game open can. And if you are considering the MD, it's just a wonderful closed hp. Can't be beat for the money IMO...

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #12,734 of 41,069
Quote:
^^ FWIW the hd650 is my end game open can. And if you are considering the MD, it's just a wonderful closed hp. Can't be beat for the money IMO...

I always assumed the HD650s would be my endgame (or perhaps even HD800s further down the line) as I've always owned and enjoyed Sennheisers (ever since a pair of HD414s in the late 1980s).

However, I'm so enjoying the more analytical and transparent nature of the K702s (especially now through the M-Stage) that Senns may be relegated to "backup" duties ever onward
blink.gif

I came very close to pulling the trigger on the Mad Dogs last year but decided against due to import duties etc (I'm in the UK). I'm almost certain to buy some soon though!

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #12,735 of 41,069
My current desktop setup: 
Stock Crack (just stained this past weekend) + HD600 + iPod 5.5g

Used Kona Verethane Stain on the base, I think it turned out pretty nice.

Tubes..

The 'headphone stand' is my Joby Gorillatorch wrapped around a lamp :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back