Should I look at Etymotic hf5's, or something else?
Jul 29, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #16 of 63
Quote:
Based on the music you listed above, I recommend looking into GR07 and triple.fi 10. HF5's bass though highly textured lacks impact for those music IMO.

I did take a look into the Triple Fi's, but I don't exactly have that much to spend on a set of buds at the moment. In Australia they absolutely bludgeon your wallet, gas you and take a couple vital organs whilst they're at it when it comes to mark-ups. I've found some online used or refurbed, but wouldn't they have no warranty?

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #17 of 63
I did take a look into the Triple Fi's, but I don't exactly have that much to spend on a set of buds at the moment. In Australia they absolutely bludgeon your wallet, gas you and take a couple vital organs whilst they're at it when it comes to mark-ups. I've found some online used or refurbed, but wouldn't they have no warranty?

Have a look in our FS section here. TF10 constantly pop up. I got my pair here for $140 boxed.

I'm from Australia, so I know what you mean....

http://www.head-fi.org/f/6550/headphones-for-sale-trade

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #18 of 63
Quote:
Have a look in our FS section here. TF10 constantly pop up. I got my pair here for $140 boxed.
I'm from Australia, so I know what you mean....
http://www.head-fi.org/f/6550/headphones-for-sale-trade

Hmm, I'll make sure to keep my eyes peeled there. Thanks. It appears the for sale threads are more active than I anticipated.

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #19 of 63
Hmm, I'll make sure to keep my eyes peeled there. Thanks. It appears the for sale threads are more active than I anticipated.

Those refurbs you were looking at don't look like to bad of a deal, if we're looking at the same ones.

Msg the seller and ask them if there's any warranty.

Edit:

It says Warranty: TrustedGoods 90-day warranty

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #20 of 63
Was just curious, what are your opinions on the Klipsch Image x10's? There are some around for around the same price as the hf5's, And I've heard good things about them when comparing with the triple fi.

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #21 of 63
Come to think of it, the triple fi's are better in that they have replaceable cables, but I'm just a bit concerned that their body might be a bit too long, And my ears don't seem to be shaped in a way that would lend themselves to getting a proper seal on an IEM like that. I guess I would only be able to tell if I tried them, but it's just a concern.

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #22 of 63
Was just curious, what are your opinions on the Klipsch Image x10's? There are some around for around the same price as the hf5's, And I've heard good things about them when comparing with the triple fi.

I've owned Klipsch X10 in the past, I find TF10 the better sounding IEM of the two. X10 are a little too polite, placid, build quality is questionable. The cable is very thin, they tend to spilt at the rubber strain relief before too long. Sound wise x10 has better timbre, separation was close though TF10 out did them clearly in dynamics, imaging and high end extension. IMO.

I never had a problem with the fit though other's have with TF10 and it's something to be careful of. One of things you won't know until you try them unfortunately.

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #23 of 63
Oh wow, So this is getting somewhat confusing. At the moment I basically have a mental short list of:

*Etymotic hf5 (long warranty, affordable new; but possibly not a sound I'm looking for)
*UE Triple.Fi 10 (Has replaceable cables and has good reviews for sound, but I'd need to purchase used and may have fitting issues)
*Klipsch Image x10 (Good reviews for sound, could afford used or possibly new but potential issue for slits at the cable strains.)

I'm really stumped at the moment, I guess I might need to just look around, and see what deals I can find. Are cable breakages at strains usually covered under warranty with most manufacturers? Or would it come under physical damage that is your fault? If so, the warranty on the ety's would essentially be redundant.

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #24 of 63
Here's an example of what happens to x10 strain relief.

Click to zoom in.

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #25 of 63
Oh wow, That is a pretty bad design flaw... Maybe I should forget about them. Don't want to have to go through what happened with those monsters. Honestly never dealing with them again. I think I might go hunt down some Ety's and some Triple.Fi's. I guess I could always consult the for sale subforum if they aren't what I'm looking for! Thanks for all of the info and advice, I appreciate it. With this I ask one last question: Being new to this caliber of IEM, is it worth me looking into portable amps for these phones? Is the difference substantial enough to justify them?

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #26 of 63
I'm not so sure if the TF10s will please you though. They are ok but I wouldn't say better than the  GR07. The treble is artificial and plasticky. The bass is  a bit bloated and the mid range is quite recessed. But they are good for trans if you are mainly gonna listen to that.

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #27 of 63
Oh wow, That is a pretty bad design flaw... Maybe I should forget about them. Don't want to have to go through what happened with those monsters. Honestly never dealing with them again. I think I might go hunt down some Ety's and some Triple.Fi's. I guess I could always consult the for sale subforum if they aren't what I'm looking for! Thanks for all of the info and advice, I appreciate it. With this I ask one last question: Being new to this caliber of IEM, is it worth me looking into portable amps for these phones? Is the difference substantial enough to justify them?

No, you do not need a portable amp for those particular IEM's. It would be a waste.

I'll send you a pm with the refurb TF10 I found, to confirm they're the same ones you found.

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #28 of 63
Etys for the win... The company support and product are top notch.

As for an amp? It depends on your source. You can drive the HF5 without one.

Cheers, Jim

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #29 of 63
I'm not so sure if the TF10s will please you though. They are ok but I wouldn't say better than the  GR07. The treble is artificial and plasticky. The bass is  a bit bloated and the mid range is quite recessed. But they are good for trans if you are mainly gonna listen to that.

I actually prefer them over my GRO7 because they can't compete in separation, imaging and micro detail. Also, GRO7 soundstage doesn't have much depth. Although I do love my GRO7 for quieter genres, the signature I completely adore balance wise. They just fall short IMO on a few sections. I guess there will always be people who love either or both. I can happily have both in my collection without wishing one away.

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #30 of 63
Quote:
No, you do not need a portable amp for those particular IEM's. It would be a waste.
I'll send you a pm with the refurb TF10 I found, to confirm they're the same ones you found.

Yes those were the refurb TF10's I found. I'm thinking of looking around the sale threads too, as I think I've seen one or two floating about.

It's good to hear I probably won't benefit from an amp to be honest, seems like an extra burden to carry with you whilst commuting, and another battery to go flat. Ahah
The source will be an Ipod nano for now, but I would like to get a classic as you can only fit so many high bit-rate mp3's onto 8gb.

Looks like I might see if I can find both used, or just the TF10's used. If it turns out I like one of them, I may not even feel the need to buy the other; although I probably would end up doing it out of curiosity anyway.

Oh the pains of money restrictions. Just if there was a place to try them all out. Ahah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back