Shanling M6 Player - New version with ESS DACs coming soon
May 6, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #1,396 of 1,456
Excuse me, but using the M6 with its pair of akm ak4495s and then connecting it to bluetooth/wireless headphones (using their internal dac) seems like a real waste. If you want to use bluetooth or wireless headphones, you should use any smartphone since the digital/analog conversion will always be done by the headphones, and keep the M6 only for when you physically connect it to headphones.

May 6, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #1,397 of 1,456
Hello, I realise that people may have moved on from the M6, but after nearly three years mine is still going pretty strong. Except...

I've been having real trouble using bluetooth earphones on it. I had to send a couple back (Edifier Neobuds, Cambridge Melomania) because I just couldn't get them to connect with the M6, thinking it just a compatability problem. Then I got some Anker Liberty 3s and they worked fine, but once I got them paired and connected my Jabra 75t Elites stopped connecting with them. I recently got a pair of Earfun Air Pro 3s, but they also won't connect with the M6, even thought they connect with my phone and laptop and PC. The M6 keeps throwing up a message saying that the PIN number (which it never asks for) is wrong. I'm beginning to think, however, that the fault might be with the M6. Is it the issue of Android? It's really frustrating not being able to use wireless earbuds. I'm not that crazy with the Anker Liberty's, so I'd like a choice, but I don't seem to be able to get one.

Many thanks for any answers/advice
Reset the M6 is it possible or try a firmware update, otherwise check with support.
I think that they may not be able to help you and that the matter will be dismissed in typical Chinese fashion.

Good luck

May 6, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #1,398 of 1,456
My M6 21 has been the buggiest player I've ever had. Crashes, freezes, volume stick, app crashes, its honestly gotten to where its not worth the trouble to turn it on

Having said that I have neobuds pro through ldac and when I got it working it did OK. When it worked. It has never not given me problems however and has really turned me off daps

May 6, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #1,399 of 1,456
Honestly my M6 despite its age and some bugs that (sometimes) need a restart due to a volume problem has a very special sound. I recently tried it with iems that highlight its characteristics even more (Aroma Jewel) and I must say I'm really happy. The only flaws are, in my opinion, the lack of Italian in the available languages and its music application (Shanling Music) which still doesn't have the gapless... however, nothing that can't be solved by installing UAPP. While instead I read a lot of criticisms on the dap that followed it... maybe sometimes releasing one dap after another isn't always the right choice to give prestige to a brand... indeed probably the attention that Shanling has received thanks to the first M6 and the first M0 it was resized with the following releases. Luckily I'm not a person who likes to change for a change. Years later, listening to the voice of the first M6 (double AK 4495SEQ and AGLO system) is always a beautiful emotion and you have features that are still defined as revolutionary today... the fact is that the first M6 already had them all.

May 6, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #1,400 of 1,456
Excuse me, but using the M6 with its pair of akm ak4495s and then connecting it to bluetooth/wireless headphones (using their internal dac) seems like a real waste. If you want to use bluetooth or wireless headphones, you should use any smartphone since the digital/analog conversion will always be done by the headphones, and keep the M6 only for when you physically connect it to headphones.
A good question and, I'll admit, I'm not clever enough to appreciate the technical details of which you speak. But, while most of the year I can tuck the M6 in my inside jacket pocket which means no problem with wired earphones, come the summer it's too hot for a jacket, so I end up with the M6 in my courier bag (no, I'm not a courier, it's just an affectation) and it's too far for the cable to stretch and I don't want wires trailing out with the danger of them snagging somewhere. So, wireless earphones seemed the ideal answer, except so few want to connect with the M6 and even with the Anker Liberty 3 Pros there's often a sudden series of dropouts. So, I wanted to shop around, but I can't seem to get started 'cos the M6 suddenly gets fussy.

May 6, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #1,401 of 1,456
Probably the fact that you don't appreciate the difference between bluetooth/wireless sound and direct connection sound and therefore that you use the M6's internal dacs may perhaps depend on the synergy with the IEMs you use. However now there is not much to spend to make the M6 sound as it deserves. However, I repeat that mortifying it by connecting it wirelessly (for me) makes no sense. Any 100 euro android smartphone with UAPP installed would do the same thing being much lighter too. While for the M6 to use, I give examples to go up in price a pair of Mangird Tea/Unique Melody Mest MKII/Aroma Audio Jewel would make you immediately understand what the M6 is and what more it can give you. Don't think it's a samrtphone just because it has android and a bluetooth/wireless connection. It's so much more. :wink:

May 7, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #1,402 of 1,456
Probably the fact that you don't appreciate the difference between bluetooth/wireless sound and direct connection sound and therefore that you use the M6's internal dacs may perhaps depend on the synergy with the IEMs you use. However now there is not much to spend to make the M6 sound as it deserves. However, I repeat that mortifying it by connecting it wirelessly (for me) makes no sense. Any 100 euro android smartphone with UAPP installed would do the same thing being much lighter too. While for the M6 to use, I give examples to go up in price a pair of Mangird Tea/Unique Melody Mest MKII/Aroma Audio Jewel would make you immediately understand what the M6 is and what more it can give you. Don't think it's a samrtphone just because it has android and a bluetooth/wireless connection. It's so much more. :wink:
I seem to have stumbled into rarified audiophile territory here, and I can totally understand your horror -- a bit like me putting ketchup on a filet mignon. I unwittingly evolved from a cassette walkman to a portable CD player to a MiniDiscMan before taking the mp3 leap with an iRiver 140, then up through a Cowon X7, a calamitous experience with Fiio X5 (ii & iii)and onward, all the while in search of good sound on the go, without a thought to what's actually under the hood. Now here I am with the Shanling M6, simply 'cos it had good reviews and was affordable and gave me what I wanted:, Excellent, immersive sound I could take with me.
Most of my music is still listened to on the go, on tubes, trains or buses or on long walks and, while I still don't want to compromise on sound, I have to be as practical as possible, hence the dabbling in bluetooth/wireless in the warmer weather. But, ultimately, you're right. I think my big bluetooth experiment is coming to an end, as I'm fed up with the fiddly earpieces (those wings, those bloody wings!) and intermittent connection and getting out and about only to have the battery die on me. I've got a pair of Fiio F9 iems that I've had to replace the 2.5mm cable with that sound brilliant to me, and I think from now on I'll just stick with that.

And thank you for your suggestions for iems but...ouch! The cheapest cost almost as much as my Shanling did, and the Aroma Audio would, with import tax, cost close to £7000. That's not just jaw-droppingly expensive and way, way beyond my budget but wildly impractical! I'd be scared to use them!

May 7, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #1,403 of 1,456
I have proposed what for me are three price steps between the IEMs (besides being the IEMs I own and love). As far as portability is concerned, I am very comfortable with the Hiby R3 Pro both cirrus and saber, small, not very expensive and with excellent audio and buetooth/wireless capabilities. As for the iems, think that in the end they are 80% of the sound you hear and the dap makes up the remaining 20%. Finding Mangird Teas (first model) is perhaps not easy, but for 200 euros you would get excellent IEMs. But value for money the Mest MKII are the best you can get and if you wait for the right moment at Musicteck you can also find them very discounted in addition to the fact that Andrew will help you with customs, thanks to him I paid 39 euros for customs out of a total of 5700 dollars for the Aromas. :wink:
Something even more portable would be a BTR5 FiiO that can be connected via bluetooth to a smartphone and physically to IEMs. Equipped with clips to hang it wherever you want.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #1,406 of 1,456
Hello Shanling. I have the M6 21 with the last firmware.
In sound settings I switch Bluetooth quality to aptX-Hd
My headphone is a sony WH-1000XM3
Even after all restart i am always stuck un SBC.
Do you have Sony companion app installed?

How does it behave if you try to set it for LDAC?

Last edited:
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 13, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #1,407 of 1,456
Honestly my M6 despite its age and some bugs that (sometimes) need a restart due to a volume problem has a very special sound. I recently tried it with iems that highlight its characteristics even more (Aroma Jewel) and I must say I'm really happy. The only flaws are, in my opinion, the lack of Italian in the available languages and its music application (Shanling Music) which still doesn't have the gapless... however, nothing that can't be solved by installing UAPP. While instead I read a lot of criticisms on the dap that followed it... maybe sometimes releasing one dap after another isn't always the right choice to give prestige to a brand... indeed probably the attention that Shanling has received thanks to the first M6 and the first M0 it was resized with the following releases. Luckily I'm not a person who likes to change for a change. Years later, listening to the voice of the first M6 (double AK 4495SEQ and AGLO system) is always a beautiful emotion and you have features that are still defined as revolutionary today... the fact is that the first M6 already had them all.
I still own an Original 4495seq M6 too, and love its sound. But @Shanling really doesnt care us as costumers, their hardware implementation are really good, but doesnt care to upgrade software to match that hardware, And that is awfull. In these days technology evolves every minute And thats ok too, but they need to learn to made a complete product not only Center in sell more units. Thats why we have All M6 Line but with so Poor software implementation. I own other Shanling products (Q1, Em5) but all have the same problem. Excelent hardware implementation, excellent sound, but Very poor software implementation, And lack of interest in costumers opinion, needs and claims.

May 13, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #1,408 of 1,456
I'm sorry to say but by now the daps are dead ... now after the release of dongles like the Cayin RU6 there is no reason to buy a dap. With a powerphone and a RU6 you have everything you need to surpass almost any dap on the market.

May 13, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #1,410 of 1,456
I'm sorry to say but by now the daps are dead ... now after the release of dongles like the Cayin RU6 there is no reason to buy a dap. With a powerphone and a RU6 you have everything you need to surpass almost any dap on the market.
It's not the subject of this thread. Please, open a new one if you want speak about another device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back