Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jun 28, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #1,501 of 4,806
My take on the whole cable debate is simple: if you can't hear a difference, move on. Your wallet will thank you.

Also, there are still some folks that listen to death metal, and like it. Ain't no cable that'll help with that. Sad but true.

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #1,502 of 4,806
My take on the whole cable debate is simple: if you can't hear a difference, move on. Your wallet will thank you.

Also, there are still some folks that listen to death metal, and like it. Ain't no cable that'll help with that. Sad but true.
This. Thank you lol.

IE 900 arrived today :)

B4627A44-FD04-42AA-9B11-7F54FB255FD8.jpeg

Thoroughly enjoying these so far. I will listen more and share further thoughts a bit later, but I can already tell that these are keepers. I’m hearing the slight V shape signature that others have already mentioned, but the mid range positioning doesn’t feel overly recessed, nor do the mids sound thin at all in my opinion. Just a little stepped back in the mix. The bass is absolutely stellar. Excellent texturing, detail and surprisingly fast. A lot faster than I was expecting. It sounds fairly linear between mid and sub bass but I haven’t listened enough to confirm. Treble has great extension, clarity and sparkle. It reminds me of Sony IER-Z1R’s treble but with a little less lower treble forwardness and a bit more upper treble air. I haven’t detected any bothersome peaks or sharpness. (my sensitivity is around the 7-8khz mark).

Technicalities are very impressive, however, I haven’t heard any higher end single DD’s other than Sony EX1000. So I’m not sure how IE 900 stacks up against the other top single-DD dogs like Luna, A8000 or Dream XLS when it comes to technical abilities. I hear a wide, deep stage, with decent height. It’s not the largest soundstage I’ve heard, but in no way would I call it a congested stage. Separation and layering is excellent. I listen to a lot of EDM and even on busy electronic tracks, I can hear each note distinctly in its own space in the image, without any congealing which is something that the EX1000 struggled with by comparison. This sounds much more like a multi driver IEM in that respect. Detail retrieval sounds great. Again, not the absolute best I’ve heard, but no slouch by any means. Overall, I feel very satisfied with the technicalities of IE 900 and at no point so far have I felt like they are lacking compared to most of the multi driver IEM’s I own.

Cohesion was the big appeal of owning a TOTL single DD for me, and as expected, IE 900 doesn’t disappoint at all. I have been wanting something like IE 900 for a long time, and have come close to buying either a Luna or A8000 many times, but ultimately backed out due to the reports on their tuning or some sort of potential deal breaking flaw. Glad I waited for the IE 900.

Regarding non-sound related stuff, the IE 900’s fit very well in my ears with the stock medium sized silicone tips. I love how they just disappear into my ear, and the stock cable’s ear hooks keep them in place securely. I love the design and the machined aluminium feels premium and stylish without being flashy. The case is okay. Nothing much to say about it really. Box and packaging feels pretty standard but I have no complaints.

So far I have tried IE 900 with my Sony DMP-Z1 and a new Cayin N6ii Ti that also arrived today. Both seem to pair up well. I’ll try it with other daps soon and report back any noteable combos. I’ll do some cable rolling eventually with my Effect Audio cables that have ConX connectors, but honestly I’m quite happy with the stock cable, and would rather utilise it than use an aftermarket cable.

Anyways TL; DR - these are dope :D

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #1,503 of 4,806
This. Thank you lol.

Thoroughly enjoying these so far. I will listen more and share further thoughts a bit later, but I can already tell that these are keepers. I’m hearing the slight V shape signature that others have already mentioned, but the mid range positioning doesn’t feel overly recessed, nor do the mids sound thin at all in my opinion. Just a little stepped back in the mix. The bass is absolutely stellar. Excellent texturing, detail and surprisingly fast. A lot faster than I was expecting. It sounds fairly linear between mid and sub bass but I haven’t listened enough to confirm. Treble has great extension, clarity and sparkle. It reminds me of Sony IER-Z1R’s treble but with a little less lower treble forwardness and a bit more upper treble air. I haven’t detected any bothersome peaks or sharpness. (my sensitivity is around the 7-8khz mark).

Technicalities are very impressive, however, I haven’t heard any higher end single DD’s other than Sony EX1000. So I’m not sure how IE 900 stacks up against the other top single-DD dogs like Luna, A8000 or Dream XLS when it comes to technical abilities. I hear a wide, deep stage, with decent height. It’s not the largest soundstage I’ve heard, but in no way would I call it a congested stage. Separation and layering is excellent. I listen to a lot of EDM and even on busy electronic tracks, I can hear each note distinctly in its own space in the image, without any congealing which is something that the EX1000 struggled with by comparison. This sounds much more like a multi driver IEM in that respect. Detail retrieval sounds great. Again, not the absolute best I’ve heard, but no slouch by any means. Overall, I feel very satisfied with the technicalities of IE 900 and at no point so far have I felt like they are lacking compared to most of the multi driver IEM’s I own.

Cohesion was the big appeal of owning a TOTL single DD for me, and as expected, IE 900 doesn’t disappoint at all. I have been wanting something like IE 900 for a long time, and have come close to buying either a Luna or A8000 many times, but ultimately backed out due to the reports on their tuning or some sort of potential deal breaking flaw. Glad I waited for the IE 900.

Regarding non-sound related stuff, the IE 900’s fit very well in my ears with the stock medium sized silicone tips. I love how they just disappear into my ear, and the stock cable’s ear hooks keep them in place securely. I love the design and the machined aluminium feels premium and stylish without being flashy. The case is okay. Nothing much to say about it really. Box and packaging feels pretty standard but I have no complaints.

So far I have tried IE 900 with my Sony DMP-Z1 and a new Cayin N6ii Ti that also arrived today. Both seem to pair up well. I’ll try it with other daps soon and report back any noteable combos. I’ll do some cable rolling eventually with my Effect Audio cables that have ConX connectors, but honestly I’m quite happy with the stock cable, and would rather utilise it than use an aftermarket cable.

Brilliant impressions, almost word for word how I hear them. Easily the best single DD IEMs I've heard to date, almost perfect tuning for my tastes, and technicities competitive with some of the best multi-driver units I've heard and owned. And the asking price is surprisingly modest for the quality, workmanship and comfort.

I better stop now before I spoil my full review...

this.jpg

Jun 28, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #1,504 of 4,806
Great response, a cable will change sound but usually for the negative as it wears down due to age and exposure to the elements.

If a cable is rusted or physically in poor shape, it will show higher resistance which will change the sound.

The most important part here is the cable and resister network inside the IE900 which will render any benefit from any cable. The last mile is the most critical.
There was a guy on Head-Fi a long while back that liked to put resisters onto cables and measure the effects (granted they were pretty heavy resisters). In some cases he saw the IEM get closer to DF neutral in other cases it went further from DF neutral. That actual change would vary from headphone to headphone. Granted I can't really hear it anyways 🤷‍♂️

Jun 28, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #1,505 of 4,806
I've found a use for the included silicone tips, for me they work perfectly with the Campfire Audio Atlas (medium size).

The Atlas is an IEM I've struggled to find a decent tip that fits my strange ears and eliminates the hideous driver flex I get with the Atlas, well Sennheiser got it right with their silicone tips and probably didn't even know.

Foam tips do mess up the sound for me with the Atlas but these silicone tips while still sounding a bit bassy, its an Atlas after all, do seem to give a better tonal balance than the foam tips I usually use.

Well done Sennheiser. :)

Jun 29, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #1,507 of 4,806
You can and should. Yesterday I came to the conclusion, that I absolutely would purchase the IE900 again if I had ever lost it. It is that good.

Jun 29, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #1,511 of 4,806
Checking in to see if any of the proud IE900 owners have also tried them with the ifi Diablo portable DAC/Headphone amp ? I am keen to see if the amp is indeed too powerful for these iem's ?
5W @ 32 ohms. That amp is too powerful for ANY IEMs. But if it has an IEMatch mode built-in, it'll work fine.

Jun 29, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #1,513 of 4,806
It doesn't have an iematch but I will have to get an external one as the diablo sounds great with my HD800's with 4.4mm balanced. :)
I'm sure it does. Most desktop amps are overkill for IEMs. Just be aware IEMatch can change the sound profile of some IEMs. Not saying it will for the IE900, but just something to keep in mind.

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #1,514 of 4,806
This. Thank you lol.

Rocking the #IE900club 💪🏻

Jun 29, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #1,515 of 4,806
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back