Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jun 27, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #1,486 of 4,851
Passion is within the observer.
Yes the observer can draw create passion but the musician is the key. Even the same original musicians passion alters from age to venue. An old musician cant play as his younger self did.

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #1,487 of 4,851
Yes the observer can draw create passion but the musician is the key. Even the same original musicians passion alters from age to venue. An old musician cant play as his younger self did.
I get it, so what’s the point here?, should I go searching for a young and fresh Chopin to perform for me. lol

Go for SanDisk extreme pro they are the best. 🤣😂 Dont ask cause thats another can of worms! And yes I did test a bunch of sd cards as well and they do in fact affect sound quality!

Well everything affects sound quality 😳😁🤯🎉
Haha thanks for the recommendation. I'll make sure to go for that one if I ever need one. I can't believe tou actually did that.

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #1,488 of 4,851
I get it, so what’s the point here?, should I go searching for a young and fresh Chopin to perform for me. lol
Hes gone , find an original.

Jun 27, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #1,492 of 4,851
Anyone using the 2.5mm balanced cable with their IE 900, and if so what is your chain looking like?

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jun 27, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #1,493 of 4,851

Attachments

• _0627212114.jpg
    _0627212114.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 0
Jun 27, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #1,494 of 4,851
Ummm the tips you eat them sorry for the confusion 😅😛🤣

There is a continuous to the story but you guess the rest 😂😂😂

Brain burn-in is quite difficult to calculate I haven't figured that one yet 🤯

@jmills8
Its black voodoo magic bro

So I'll assume you are working in electronics and can measure the inductance, impedance and resistance of the cables and the IEMs and DAPs involved.

Have you ever considered how life saving and mission critical equipment in hospitals and military installations is burnt in considering its all solid state.

Here's a hint: It isn't.

Jun 27, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #1,495 of 4,851
So I'll assume you are working in electronics and can measure the inductance, impedance and resistance of the cables and the IEMs and DAPs involved.

Have you ever considered how life saving and mission critical equipment in hospitals and military installations is burnt in considering its all solid state.

Probably don't even test it since it's solid state, right?

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #1,496 of 4,851
So I'll assume you are working in electronics and can measure he inductance, impedance and resistance of the cables and the IEMs and DAPs involved.

Its different use purposes... Those gear are meant to save lives they dont need to sound good if you could hook your headphones into it.

Audio world is very different and we use our ears and feeling to understand music. Every creation that the artist reccorded into its song is translated into your equipment and you as an end user do your best to find the most suited synergy that you like.

Hence the reason why so much options exists on the market.
There is also a lot of self not weallingness to not believe in something we do not believing.... Hence youl never probably hear it as you dont want to hear it ...

The topic is long and I studied the whole headfi thread related to this stuff.

So I will say leave it as it is if you dont believe in it! And I was not forcing anyone to take what I said as a gospel lol. It was my experience and what I felt and heard. Its not like it will ruin your plaisures but there is still differences.

Jun 28, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #1,497 of 4,851
Probably don't even test it since it's solid state, right?

Yup,tested to meet specs and then shipped out.

What does that have to do with burn in or should they be burned in for 20000 hours considering they are 50x more complicated?

Its different use purposes... Those gear are meant to save lives they dont need to sound good if you could hook your headphones into it.

Audio world is very different and we use our ears and feeling to understand music. Every creation that the artist reccorded into its song is translated into your equipment and you as an end user do your best to find the most suited synergy that you like.

Hence the reason why so much options exists on the market.
There is also a lot of self not weallingness to not believe in something we do not believing.... Hence youl never probably hear it as you dont want to hear it ...

The topic is long and I studied the whole headfi thread related to this stuff.

So I will say leave it as it is if you dont believe in it! And I was not forcing anyone to take what I said as a gospel lol. It was my experience and what I felt and heard. Its not like it will ruin your plaisures but there is still differences.

Or maybe it just doesn't exist and your brain is filling in the gaps. We have folks who can make the earth seem flat so details in audio is a much smaller concept.

Jun 28, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #1,498 of 4,851
Well seen burn in cable devices in Hong Kong since 2012.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210628-123507_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210628-123507_Facebook.jpg
    736.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210628-123429_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210628-123429_Chrome.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Jun 28, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #1,499 of 4,851

I know with clear copper cables you can physically see a layer of rust form on the outside of the copper with use and time (they turn from copper colored to green). I’m not sure if putting an electric signal through a copper cable would make it rust faster, but that wouldn’t surprise me either (with the entire electromagnetism stuff that happens and polarity of water). I’m not sure how much that would change the resistance of the cable, but you are in theory reducing the diameter of the cable by 2x the thickness of the rust. Resistance of a cable is related to both the length of the cable as well as the diameter; so a thinner gauge wire (like those used for IEMs) would be impacted by rust more. We do also know that adding a resister to a cable does indeed change the sound of a headphone, especially if it’s known for having strong impedance swings.

Silver will also rust into silver oxide, this too doesn’t conduct as well as pure silver does. So it would have similar effects, but from my understanding silver takes longer than copper to rust. This would coincide with most people who claim silver cables take longer to “break in.”

For life saving equipment I’d argue that the cabling likely has a much larger gauge of wire so this effect isn’t as big. I’d also argue that the voltages going through those wires will be much higher than what would be used for an IEM. As for the actual electronics (motherboards, etc.), there are some coatings that can be applied at point of manufacturer to prevent corrosion, but obviously there are some practices that can be used to prevent it as well. But as with all things, if corrosion gets too bad, the part is labeled as broken and another one used. In hospitals, they tend to have multiples of most things, I’m sure military installations have failsafes as well so nothing relies on exactly one component working. But I could be wrong I guess.

Note: I’m not saying that the corrosion on a cable will be audible, but I’m also not saying it isn’t. I am saying that cabling does undergo physical change with use. How much that influences stuff will depend on a lot of factors. I will also say that I’ve rarely ever heard much substantial differences when swapping cables in general, so I doubt I’d hear much difference with the corrosion on its own. I do feel like there are other components that are more likely to change the sound with time. Although drivers are debated still, ear tips (and ear pads) change and warp with use like a spring does and those are well known to influence sound drastically; I feel like those would likely contribute most to the changes people hear in sound and are often overlooked.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #1,500 of 4,851
I know with clear copper cables you can physically see a layer of rust form on the outside of the copper with use and time (they turn from copper colored to green). I’m not sure if putting an electric signal through a copper cable would make it rust faster, but that wouldn’t surprise me either (with the entire electromagnetism stuff that happens and polarity of water). I’m not sure how much that would change the resistance of the cable, but you are in theory reducing the diameter of the cable by 2x the thickness of the rust. Resistance of a cable is related to both the length of the cable as well as the diameter; so a thinner gauge wire (like those used for IEMs) would be impacted by rust more. We do also know that adding a resister to a cable does indeed change the sound of a headphone, especially if it’s known for having strong impedance swings.

Silver will also rust into silver oxide, this too doesn’t conduct as well as pure silver does. So it would have similar effects, but from my understanding silver takes longer than copper to rust. This would coincide with most people who claim silver cables take longer to “break in.”

For life saving equipment I’d argue that the cabling likely has a much larger gauge of wire so this effect isn’t as big. I’d also argue that the voltages going through those wires will be much higher than what would be used for an IEM. As for the actual electronics (motherboards, etc.), there are some coatings that can be applied at point of manufacturer to prevent corrosion, but obviously there are some practices that can be used to prevent it as well. But as with all things, if corrosion gets too bad, the part is labeled as broken and another one used. In hospitals, they tend to have multiples of most things, I’m sure military installations have failsafes as well so nothing relies on exactly one component working. But I could be wrong I guess.

Note: I’m not saying that the corrosion on a cable will be audible, but I’m also not saying it isn’t. I am saying that cabling does undergo physical change with use. How much that influences stuff will depend on a lot of factors. I will also say that I’ve rarely ever heard much substantial differences when swapping cables in general, so I doubt I’d hear much difference with the corrosion on its own. I do feel like there are other components that are more likely to change the sound with time. Although drivers are debated still, ear tips (and ear pads) change and warp with use like a spring does and those are well known to influence sound drastically; I feel like those would likely contribute most to the changes people hear in sound and are often overlooked.

Great response, a cable will change sound but usually for the negative as it wears down due to age and exposure to the elements.

If a cable is rusted or physically in poor shape, it will show higher resistance which will change the sound.

The most important part here is the cable and resister network inside the IE900 which will render any benefit from any cable. The last mile is the most critical.

Well seen burn in cable devices in Hong Kong since 2012.

Now now, how do you ensure the machine doing the burn in was burnt in correctly.

Are they using the finest quality pink noise?

Is the wiring inside the machine properly burnt in?

Are the power plugs and the AC mains properly burnt in.

That's all folks. I'll leave the topic now and go back to the IE900 or more accurately waiting for the IE900.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back