Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jun 29, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #1,516 of 4,851
Purchased the IE 900 yesterday. Running them primarily from the "Chord Mojo", so far very impressed by the form factor and craftsmanship. As for the sound signature, I am tremendously enjoying it. Classical, Metal, Rock, Electronic, Vocal...all sound amazing. Modern Hip Hop and Mumble Rap...uh...not so much...thank goodness that's not my main genre of music I listen to. That being said...old school Hip Hop, 80s New Wave...just sound amazing. I am primarily using Spotify at the moment, watching YouTube and listening to a few podcasts and really enjoying these. These are definitely a keeper. I have owned the Shure 846 and IE 800 since 2013. The IE 900s are better than the IE 800s in every way. I still love the IE 800s and primarily run them through the Sennheiser HDVD800. They scale very well with better equipment and took come time to burn in from what I remember.

The bass on the IE 900s is amazing. I think if someone composed a track that incorporated the exact frequency of the brown note, and you are using the IE 900s at the moment you are listening to said track......trust me it would be time to change your pants/shorts or whatever may be the case.... In my limited experience, these are the best dynamic drivers I have heard in an IEM. It is a very unique IEM and has to be approach without any bias or opinions. It does have a familiar sound signature but with a very unique twist that is approachable.

What do the IE 900s remind me of? A pair of earphones that I don't think are regarded highly but which I tremendously enjoy are the Mee Audio Pinnacle 2. I also enjoy the Pinnacle 1s but the P2s are more fun. Plus I'm not concerned if I'm on the subway or walking to baby them.....

It also reminds me of a much more refined version of the MASSDROP X BEYERDYNAMIC DT 177X GO. The IE 900 does everything better imho.

So if the Mee Audio Pinnacle 2s is the Toyota Corolla of the sound signature, the Sennheiser IE 900s are the 2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S 992. The supercar that is super fun to drive, can be an everyday driver and will blow everyone away on the race track. In case you do love cars, suggest SavageGeese's YouTube review on the Turbo S.

Trust your ears and take opinions/reviews with a grain of salt. I hope this helps readers who are considering purchasing the IE 900. I have only spent a total of 4 hours with the IE 900...so consider my opinion as initial first impressions. I tend to enjoy the break-in process so I haven't put them on a break-in rig.

One question which I hope someone could help me with...how do the IE 900s compare to the Campfire Audio Solaris 2020 or original Solaris?

Jun 29, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #1,517 of 4,851
Bought mine directly from Sennheiser a couple of weeks ago. Right now, it's a back and forth between my T8iE's and the IE-900s. I'm a big fan of single-driver units, and I think I have the best two I've heard. I ended up calling support on an issue that I've experienced trying to use some of MY cables with the IE-900s. MMCX is a standard, yet for whatever reason, I cannot plug my cables into either side of the IE-900s using considerable force. Support essentially said go ahead and press harder and I'm concerned with damaging these $$$$$ little darlin's trying to use my cables. I'll keep trying mebe a little more force. All of the components I use to drive the IE900's run warmer than with the T8iEs. That near ½ the impedance mebe pullin' a lot more current.

Steve

Jun 29, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #1,518 of 4,851
Spoilerizing my long form, in depth review of the IE 900.

ezgif-6-f9dca5810a09.gif

Also, I am on the hunt for a cable with the proper MMCX connectors. Why? Because I like pretty things.

Jun 29, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #1,519 of 4,851
Wait… I’m not super familiar with the Topping A90. What port is he plugged into? Is he using a 2.5mm balanced cable with a 4.4mm adapter? That’s the kind of thing I would do 😂
Yeah, it's a 4.4mm port. I used a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter since all my other iem have 2.5mm cables.

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #1,520 of 4,851
Jun 29, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #1,521 of 4,851
Bought mine directly from Sennheiser a couple of weeks ago. Right now, it's a back and forth between my T8iE's and the IE-900s. I'm a big fan of single-driver units, and I think I have the best two I've heard. I ended up calling support on an issue that I've experienced trying to use some of MY cables with the IE-900s. MMCX is a standard, yet for whatever reason, I cannot plug my cables into either side of the IE-900s using considerable force. Support essentially said go ahead and press harder and I'm concerned with damaging these $$$$$ little darlin's trying to use my cables. I'll keep trying mebe a little more force. All of the components I use to drive the IE900's run warmer than with the T8iEs. That near ½ the impedance mebe pullin' a lot more current.

Steve
Sennheiser uses recessed MMCX ports that are not compatible with every cable, please stop pressing harder

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #1,522 of 4,851
I ended up calling support on an issue that I've experienced trying to use some of MY cables with the IE-900s. MMCX is a standard, yet for whatever reason, I cannot plug my cables into either side of the IE-900s using considerable force. Support essentially said go ahead and press harder and I'm concerned with damaging these $$$$$ little darlin's trying to use my cables. I'll keep trying mebe a little more force.

Steve
DO NOT press harder. DO NOT force the cable connector into the IEMs. You'll risk damaging the connector on the IEM and/or the cable. The IE 900's MMCX connectors are recessed and are not compatible with all MMCX cables. Only a few cables work at this time. I'm sure more will come out soon.

Jun 30, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #1,523 of 4,851

Steve
Welcome to the #IE900club, don’t press harder 😅

No, seriously, the IE 900 does use the best MMCX connector in the business (Fidelity+, rated for like 800 connections), but there is a bit of a collar around it so that any perpendicular force is on the collar instead of the MMCX connector itself. Much more durability, but not all cables will fit… which is part of why Sennheiser includes three, and also makes those over engineered to last as well.

It’s All About Connection​

Included with every IE 900 are three para-aramid reinforced cables: a single-ended cable with a 3.5mm plug termination, as well as a balanced cable with a 2.5mm plug and a balanced cable with a 4.4mm Pentaconn plug. The IE 900 uses gold-plated Fidelity+ MMCX connectors that provide utmost contact integrity. Each housing-side receptacle is seated within a recessed, 4.8mm-wide socket to provide wearers with robust strain relief.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #1,524 of 4,851
FWIW, proper MMCX connectors are hitting the market. I made an inquiry of a cable-maker on AE (just curious as I've only ever placed one order on AE, for a $7.00 set of foam ear tips, LOL), and they replied, yes, they can make cables specifically to fit the IE 900. Sent me this pic:

H7f46acfb7bdb45fb9070a16c103d00a1c.jpg

I also had a very pleasant exchange with Eric from Eletech and he said they could special order the appropriate connectors as well for a made-to-order cable. I'm still sussing out what I want and who I want it from.

Jun 30, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #1,525 of 4,851
What do you guys think of the ie 900 as a iem for watching movies?
I watched a few Nolan movies and could actually hear what the actors were saying 🤣

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jun 30, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #1,526 of 4,851
I watched a few Nolan movies and could actually hear what the actors were saying 🤣
Would be great if we could also hear what charlie chaplin is saying in his movies 😁

Jun 30, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #1,527 of 4,851
Fever5, Who is this vendor who'll make an MMCX cable?

Thx. Steve

Jun 30, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #1,528 of 4,851
It doesn't have an iematch but I will have to get an external one as the diablo sounds great with my HD800's with 4.4mm balanced. :)

That's true, our Diablo was designed to be internally as simple as it gets, purist in a way.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 30, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #1,529 of 4,851
God I hate digital river. Do not RMA through digital river. You're suppose to contact Sennheiser for warranty service.

I recently purchased a pair of HD660 and received a defective set. I reached out to digital river and asked them if I need to go through Sennheiser warranty service or go through them to request for a replacement set. The service rep told me the exact same thing they told you. "Return the existing set and purchase a new set." When I requested to proceed with the RMA, they told me I had to pay for shipping. I was like "WTH? You guys send me a defective HP and the customer has to pay for shipping?" when I argued with them about it, the so called 'supervisor' told me I did not follow the correct steps by not contacting Sennheiser for warranty service. When I read to him verbatim what the first service rep advised after I asked for clarification on what needs to happen, they finally sent me the return label. And now I'm awaiting a refund since June 5th. I had similar unpleasant experience with Digital River when I purchased my HD820. They are the just terrible. I would've purchased the IE900 through Amazon, had I had the option to do so.
To late, I actually reached out to warranty first, when I told them what happen, they ask if I would like to check technical first, since I was a noob, I was guessing it might have been my fault. So I went through everything technical had to say turns out mines were defective... they sent me back to CS then CS sent me back to warranty... then Warranty told me it might be faster to RMA since i got the product just yesterday. I don't think they had replacements on hand due to the nature it being the ie 900's being all new and shiny. So I agreed.

Then Warranty sent me to DR... DR told me I had to pay for return cost myself... I was like what... they "said" They would pay back my shipping cost... Which in my head at that time doubt... I still doubt. According to my tracking # for my return package it should have arrive at 11am-noon at sennhesier CT... this was on monday 6/21... They said in the email it may take up to 5-7 businesses day for your refund to arrive... once package is received... It has been 7 business days... I still see no refund as of 6/30... Hell I haven't even gotten any updates at all... during this entire return process

I wasn't actually planning on returning these at all... I went to warranty TWICE trying to get replacements... somehow they sent/got me to return the thing... I was hoping these would be problem free since they their newest top of the line product and cost me all my spare $$$ I had at the time...

Before I brought the IE 900 I read through the entire 70+ pages of this forum and the Q&A by the product developer all 10 pages of it... I believed in the product developer thinking these would last a decade at least... I was even hoping I wouldn't actually have to go back to DR... RIP. IE 900 S/N 1770... I only got to know you for 5 hours before you started fizzing in and out on my right ear piece. I was like no this can't be happening please just let it be my computer/laptop/iphone dongle/Tablet not being strong enough to drive it... But I knew that shouldn't be the case when I remember specifically the Product developer on this forum saying it is good enough to use with a iphone dongle...

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #1,530 of 4,851

Steve
Yikes. I would consider reporting that person to a supervisor for telling you that. That kind of advice can damage both the 900 and the cables... the worst advice. Like others have said, the 900 uses their own MMCX connectors, not compatible with the masses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back