Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jul 5, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #1,606 of 4,908
Just used the stock tips. The foams do reduce the treble a little bit. But not enough. I prefer the ease of use and comfort of the silikons.
I only tip roll when the comfort and seal is lacking. But both are fine for me.
I prefer using an EQ over trip rolling. Tip rolling having the benefit of being source independent of course.
Yeah I know, I wrote I don't want to EQ. It's just a weird feeling having to EQ an 1300€ IEM so it hits my preferences better.

But I will try my spinfit CP100, let's see :)

Jul 5, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #1,607 of 4,908
I just don't get on with any silicone tips, I've tried then all and I agree the included foam tips while being very comfortable for me give a sound that is a little too bright for me too.

I had already settled on the Comply foam tips which give me the best fit and comfort then I just needed to find an IEM that worked best with the Comply tips for compatibility and sound balance.

I found it with the ie900, so I'm happy.

Jul 5, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #1,611 of 4,908
Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #1,614 of 4,908
Does anyone own both this and the IER-Z1R. I want to jump into the TOTL iem game and these are the two I'm considering.
I’ve got both. Some rough notes on sound:

Bass: IE 900’s bass sounds more balanced between mid and sub bass to my ears. IE 900 has a little more mid bass and slightly less elevated sub bass. I’d say IE 900’s bass is faster and more dynamic. Z1R’s bass, as good as it is, tends to sound a bit “always on” and struggles with subtle bass nuances. But it has insane sub bass extension and rumble. Z1R can give off a proper large subwoofer feeling, whereas IE 900 sounds smaller and more punchy/fast.

Mids: Z1R’s lower mids sound thinner and more recessed, but upper mids are more forward, compared to IE 900 which sounds more linear between lower and upper mids. Vocals and midrange instruments are generally a bit further back in the mix compared to bass and treble on both IEM’s but they both have good midrange texturing and note weight. However I think IE 900 sounds a little warmer and thicker in the lower mids which I prefer overall.

Treble: Both IEM’s have rather forward treble and could be potentially a little bright/hot depending on your preferences. Z1R sounds slightly less forward in the upper treble region, so it doesn’t sound as airy and sparkly compared to IE 900 to my ears. But Z1R’s lower treble has incredible note weight and cymbals have a particularly lifelike reproduction imo.

Technicalities: Surprisingly I think IE 900 is pretty comparable to Z1R on all technical fronts except for maybe soundstage height. However I think IE 900 has slightly better stage depth. Detail retrieval is close between the two. Where IE 900 surpasses Z1R is coherency. Z1R sounds obviously like a hybrid, especially the bass. IE 900’s single DD coherency is very addictive and pleasant IMO. I think separation and instrument layering is better on Z1R, but it’s not a night and day improvement over IE 900.

The other important thing to factor in is shell size. Z1R is huge and you may have more issues with the fit compared to IE 900. IE 900 is positively tiny by comparison and should fit comfortably in more people’s ears, unless you have particularly large ears. I definitely think Z1R should be demo’d or bought from somewhere that accepts returns to make sure it fits you.

Jul 6, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #1,615 of 4,908
Righ, so I've joined the club. First things first - getting a fit. I normally do not struggle with IEMs but the IE900 needed a little more work. Main issue was getting a decent seal, and staying in the ear. Achieved this eventually with the Acoustune AET07 size M (the M- was a little too small).

Still, it is a relatively shallow fit compared to most IEMs I have used so the seal happens "early" such that it does not go in too far. This does help to reduce pressure on the canal but also takes some getting used to - think the narrow nozzle contributes to this feeling too. I find I need to be quite careful not to move my head to quickly as it can break the seal.

Some random observations:
  • Quite balanced between sub bass and mid bass. Was a little surprised that it did not have more sub-bass (I get more from the Traillii, for example). Also seems to do better with natural, acoustic bass instruments; drums and electronic kicks a little less so. They're there but a tad soft as opposed to punchy.
  • Stage height is particularly good. Width is average. I wonder if this may be intentional; I find it contributes to cohesiveness. The details are not spread out particularly wide. I would not call them compressed, but they're all within a defined "field of vision".
  • The benefit of this is that components of music all come together well and is an easy listen; the caveats are that i) certain elements are less distinct than on other IEMs, and ii) there isn't much of a holographic capability.
  • Vocals are really enjoyable. They are clear and distinct from the rest of the soundstage, though at the same time not three dimensional. A bit of a strange phenomenon; great articulation in voices but they are not carved out and "floating" in the head like a U12t or Fourte for example.
  • The brightness / trailing edge effect is apparent but not all the time; it does affect vocals occasionally, but also certain instruments like cymbals. These are rather accentuated. This is clear when listening to songs with instruments toward the edge of the soundstage; most elements are relatively muted as per my "average width" comment above, but certain frequencies jump out as a little piercing. Infrequent but not a random anomaly.
  • Overall an easy listen, commendable detail that is mostly there but sometimes a little hidden / reserved. Again I reiterate, there is a cohesive image which I think to a large extent is a function of presenting a smaller, more manageable stage, and having no disconnects relating to crossovers et al
  • Oh, and they are hungry. Volume up about 25% higher than most other IEMs (on the R8 around 45 low gain no turbo; 50 or so for quieter albums).
  • The cable is not bad, but I find it is prone to microphonics. I'd say close to that of the bird's 1960's.

Jul 6, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #1,616 of 4,908
Righ, so I've joined the club. First things first - getting a fit. I normally do not struggle with IEMs but the IE900 needed a little more work. Main issue was getting a decent seal, and staying in the ear. Achieved this eventually with the Acoustune AET07 size M (the M- was a little too small).

Still, it is a relatively shallow fit compared to most IEMs I have used so the seal happens "early" such that it does not go in too far. This does help to reduce pressure on the canal but also takes some getting used to - think the narrow nozzle contributes to this feeling too. I find I need to be quite careful not to move my head to quickly as it can break the seal.

Some random observations:
  • Quite balanced between sub bass and mid bass. Was a little surprised that it did not have more sub-bass (I get more from the Traillii, for example). Also seems to do better with natural, acoustic bass instruments; drums and electronic kicks a little less so. They're there but a tad soft as opposed to punchy.
  • Stage height is particularly good. Width is average. I wonder if this may be intentional; I find it contributes to cohesiveness. The details are not spread out particularly wide. I would not call them compressed, but they're all within a defined "field of vision".
  • The benefit of this is that components of music all come together well and is an easy listen; the caveats are that i) certain elements are less distinct than on other IEMs, and ii) there isn't much of a holographic capability.
  • Vocals are really enjoyable. They are clear and distinct from the rest of the soundstage, though at the same time not three dimensional. A bit of a strange phenomenon; great articulation in voices but they are not carved out and "floating" in the head like a U12t or Fourte for example.
  • The brightness / trailing edge effect is apparent but not all the time; it does affect vocals occasionally, but also certain instruments like cymbals. These are rather accentuated. This is clear when listening to songs with instruments toward the edge of the soundstage; most elements are relatively muted as per my "average width" comment above, but certain frequencies jump out as a little piercing. Infrequent but not a random anomaly.
  • Overall an easy listen, commendable detail that is mostly there but sometimes a little hidden / reserved. Again I reiterate, there is a cohesive image which I think to a large extent is a function of presenting a smaller, more manageable stage, and having no disconnects relating to crossovers et al
  • Oh, and they are hungry. Volume up about 25% higher than most other IEMs (on the R8 around 45 low gain no turbo; 50 or so for quieter albums).
  • The cable is not bad, but I find it is prone to microphonics. I'd say close to that of the bird's 1960's.

The Triallii is of course on my radar, even though I try to suppress it! Good to read more comparisons - appreciate you might need more time with IE900 but would love your comments at some point on the strengths of Traillii vs IE900, how worthwhile the significant $$$ investment is etc.

Jul 6, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #1,617 of 4,908
The Triallii is of course on my radar, even though I try to suppress it! Good to read more comparisons - appreciate you might need more time with IE900 but would love your comments at some point on the strengths of Traillii vs IE900, how worthwhile the significant $$$ investment is etc.
Will do for sure. I've literally just had about 30 minutes with the IE900 (excl. getting the right fit 🙃). Will carve out some time to get to know it better and then compare to the bird. I got the Senn as a complementary IEM; an everyday listen with the bird used for the special night time sessions.

Jul 6, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #1,618 of 4,908
Will do for sure. I've literally just had about 30 minutes with the IE900 (excl. getting the right fit 🙃). Will carve out some time to get to know it better and then compare to the bird.

Brilliant, thank you and enjoy your time becoming acquainted with IE900!

Jul 6, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #1,619 of 4,908

Bass: IE 900’s bass sounds more balanced between mid and sub bass to my ears. IE 900 has a little more mid bass and slightly less elevated sub bass. I’d say IE 900’s bass is faster and more dynamic. Z1R’s bass, as good as it is, tends to sound a bit “always on” and struggles with subtle bass nuances. But it has insane sub bass extension and rumble. Z1R can give off a proper large subwoofer feeling, whereas IE 900 sounds smaller and more punchy/fast.

Mids: Z1R’s lower mids sound thinner and more recessed, but upper mids are more forward, compared to IE 900 which sounds more linear between lower and upper mids. Vocals and midrange instruments are generally a bit further back in the mix compared to bass and treble on both IEM’s but they both have good midrange texturing and note weight. However I think IE 900 sounds a little warmer and thicker in the lower mids which I prefer overall.

Treble: Both IEM’s have rather forward treble and could be potentially a little bright/hot depending on your preferences. Z1R sounds slightly less forward in the upper treble region, so it doesn’t sound as airy and sparkly compared to IE 900 to my ears. But Z1R’s lower treble has incredible note weight and cymbals have a particularly lifelike reproduction imo.

Technicalities: Surprisingly I think IE 900 is pretty comparable to Z1R on all technical fronts except for maybe soundstage height. However I think IE 900 has slightly better stage depth. Detail retrieval is close between the two. Where IE 900 surpasses Z1R is coherency. Z1R sounds obviously like a hybrid, especially the bass. IE 900’s single DD coherency is very addictive and pleasant IMO. I think separation and instrument layering is better on Z1R, but it’s not a night and day improvement over IE 900.

The other important thing to factor in is shell size. Z1R is huge and you may have more issues with the fit compared to IE 900. IE 900 is positively tiny by comparison and should fit comfortably in more people’s ears, unless you have particularly large ears. I definitely think Z1R should be demo’d or bought from somewhere that accepts returns to make sure it fits you.
I love the bass thats always on.

Jul 6, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #1,620 of 4,908

Z1R was high on my list but I've avoided due to the reports of fit issues... the more comparisons I read like this, the more it falls off the list.

Next up for me in a few months could be the Bird or something from Fir Audio or 64 Audio... content for now but addictive curiosity brewing! Oh Spark interesting too, maybe a IER-M9 upgrade...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back