Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Jul 6, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #1,621 of 4,913
Always wonder when I read comments that state that the IE900 would be power hungry. Using Comply tips TSX200 a Shanling M3X in balanced low gain mode and playing music via UAPP I usually do not go beyond a volume of 30. Can't bear anything beyond 35-40 for a longer period if the recordings have a normal loudness and ain't very quiet.

May some listen with an unproper seal?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #1,622 of 4,913
Always wonder when I read comments that state that the IE900 would be power hungry. Using Comply tips TSX200 a Shanling M3X in balanced low gain mode and playing music via UAPP I usually do not go beyond a volume of 30. Can't bear anything beyond 35-40 for a longer period if the recordings have a normal loudness and ain't very quiet.

May some listen with an unproper seal?
Not really, I have a proper seal and agree they take some driving. I have to push them harder than the Legend X, with its dual 9mm woofers, to get the same volume. They're about 10 clicks more on the dial than either Fourte or BLON-03, if you want other examples at both end of the price scale. That's NOT to say they're hard to drive, but they are for sure less sensitive than many other IEMs.

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #1,623 of 4,913
Yes definitely require more power to drive compared to MEST MKII or ZEN in my collection - similar though to IER-M9 which are also a hungry IEM.

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #1,624 of 4,913
Yes definitely require more power to drive compared to MEST MKII or ZEN in my collection - similar though to IER-M9 which are also a hungry IEM.
Yeah agreed. About the same as IER-M9, which is pretty insensitive compared to other IEM’s

Jul 6, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #1,625 of 4,913
I was also a bit surprised how much juice the IE 900 need to be "happy." 16ohm, 123db sensitivity, right? Anyway, any modern DAP should be plenty, but I know the crazies around here (not looking at you @Damz87 , I promise...) will find much more powerful sources to plug into, hahaha. I use high gain on my WM1A.

Jul 6, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #1,626 of 4,913
Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #1,627 of 4,913
I've heard that for the stock tips, the AMOUNT of foam can be different across a matched set. I.e., L/R tips have unequal amounts of foam, so L and R sizes may vary. Is this true?
Passion For Sound vlogger notes ONLY Spinfit worked for him. So WHICH spinfit? (Model, size).

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #1,628 of 4,913
I was also a bit surprised how much juice the IE 900 need to be "happy." 16ohm, 123db sensitivity, right? Anyway, any modern DAP should be plenty, but I know the crazies around here (not looking at you @Damz87 , I promise...) will find much more powerful sources to plug into, hahaha. I use high gain on my WM1A.
How is the synergy between the WM1A and the IE 900?

Jul 7, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #1,629 of 4,913
My observations on ie900 power requirements, for what they are worth.

For me the frequency response with some fit's and tip types can make it sound quieter for a fixed power input but I do worry that the overall average SPL transmitted to a listeners ears is higher than it appears, if that makes sense.

Be careful with your ears fellow headfier's

:)

Jul 7, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #1,630 of 4,913
For me the ie900 is very easy to drive. I see no benefit from stronger sources.

But source differences may occur. Like the ie900 needs something that pushes the mids forward, and suppresses the subbass for midbass punchiness.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #1,631 of 4,913
For me the ie900 is very easy to drive. I see no benefit from stronger sources.
Au contraire, they benefit immensely from a stronger source given how well they scale up.

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #1,632 of 4,913
How is the synergy between the WM1A and the IE 900?
I like it (using MrWalkman's FEv2 firmware on Region E), but at some point, I'll want to try it with a R2R DAP. That likely won't be for at least another year as I sit on the sidelines watching how R2R DAP implementations are rolled out, plus I have a reluctance about Android DAPs in general (I do not stream), and I don't see my "concerns" being ameliorated anytime soon. YMMV.

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #1,633 of 4,913
I like it (using MrWalkman's FEv2 firmware on Region E), but at some point, I'll want to try it with a R2R DAP. That likely won't be for at least another year as I sit on the sidelines watching how R2R DAP implementations are rolled out, plus I have a reluctance about Android DAPs in general (I do not stream), and I don't see my "concerns" being ameliorated anytime soon. YMMV.
Not sure if you saw my exultant praise on the N6ii thread, but concerning R2R, the R01 module with the IE900 is truly outstanding. By far the most satisfying pairing I've ever heard in a portable source. If you can demo it, I urge you to do so.

I also do not stream and prefer a closed OS than Android, but N6II is fairly clean as an Android unit.

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #1,634 of 4,913
Not sure if you saw my exultant praise on the N6ii thread, but concerning R2R, the R01 module with the IE900 is truly outstanding. By far the most satisfying pairing I've ever heard in a portable source. If you can demo it, I urge you to do so.

I also do not stream and prefer a closed OS than Android, but N6II is fairly clean as an Android unit.
I did see that, and it added to my inspiration to watch the R2R DAP space....to the extent such will exist; I'm unsure if anyone besides Cayin will attempt to do this, but if not, I'll be watching Cayin as it seems they'll have a new DAP sometime in 2022, I'd reckon.

I'm just hoping software dev can "catch up" a little and streamline Android to (vastly) improve battery life, among other things. I might be wanting too much, and Android just simply may not be at all receptive to my preferences. I'm totally fine "slumming it" with my WM1A for the near future though, hahaha. It's not likely I'll be able to audition a N6ii, so I live vicariously through y'all in that thread, LOL.

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #1,635 of 4,913

+1 on this pair up. Spent most of today listening to it. It’s fantastic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back