Sennheiser IE7 Appreciation Thread ~~~
Dec 27, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #601 of 817
I ended up winning that auction, but the reserve wasn't met, got a second chance offer, and bought them for $100 shipped...I'll probably get them by the middle of the week, and I'll post my thoughts then.

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #602 of 817
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba booey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ended up winning that auction, but the reserve wasn't met, got a second chance offer, and bought them for $100 shipped...I'll probably get them by the middle of the week, and I'll post my thoughts then.

That's awesome, I was involved in so amny auctions from about the week before Christmas.....only managed to win 4 though,

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #603 of 817
After listening to the IE7's for a month and a half, I have become quite fond of them. However, it hasn't been a very nice month and a half, since i've tried so many tips to find the perfect tips. First i tried the large stock tips, then moved on to the double flange, the ebay tips, the foam and stock tip mod, everything you can think of. But then I found the perfect tips for myself when I used some sony tips that I completely forgot about... I think its the sony ep-ex10A large stock tips. Worked great for me because it was as comfortable as the large stock tip, but it didnt slip out easily. The sennheiser large stock tip is very "slippery" while the sony epex-10A sort've stick to your ears. perfect for me.

As for the sound quality, the IE7s are amazing. The bass is punchy, the mids are very forward, and the highs are very clear and precise. Though I find the bass to be a bit overpowering for some songs, I do not mind it at all, as long as it doesn't muffle the highs and mids. All in all, I find the IE7s to have a great balance, and I can listen to them for an extended period of time without any fatigue at all.

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #604 of 817
For anyone concerned about fake ie7's I actually found ( i Think) a new thing to look for, after seeing several pics of fakes, none I have seen get this just right. This pic showe the two slots with the dot betweem them, I may be wring, but I haven't seen a fake this good. Usually the fakes are off.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/S...e_earphone.jpg

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #605 of 817
Well, I got a pair of IE7s (my first IEMs) around 2 weeks ago. After several hours, I finally figured out that the stock biflange tips were the way to go for me. At first, the bass was somewhat muddy and uncontrolled, and I was actually pretty disappointed. I like bass, but only if it is controlled and crisp, and the ie7s certainly didn't deliver on that. After 2 weeks of break in though, that all changed. Now, they sound amazing, with excellent bass and mids (the highs are perhaps a bit recessed compared to my speakers, but not terrible). They are incredible, and have exceeded all of my expectations.

Jan 1, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #606 of 817
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisssssssss2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After listening to the IE7's for a month and a half, I have become quite fond of them. However, it hasn't been a very nice month and a half, since i've tried so many tips to find the perfect tips. First i tried the large stock tips, then moved on to the double flange, the ebay tips, the foam and stock tip mod, everything you can think of. But then I found the perfect tips for myself when I used some sony tips that I completely forgot about... I think its the sony ep-ex10A large stock tips. Worked great for me because it was as comfortable as the large stock tip, but it didnt slip out easily. The sennheiser large stock tip is very "slippery" while the sony epex-10A sort've stick to your ears. perfect for me.

As for the sound quality, the IE7s are amazing. The bass is punchy, the mids are very forward, and the highs are very clear and precise. Though I find the bass to be a bit overpowering for some songs, I do not mind it at all, as long as it doesn't muffle the highs and mids. All in all, I find the IE7s to have a great balance, and I can listen to them for an extended period of time without any fatigue at all.

What IEMs were you using last time? I had the IE7 before and I thought its the best sounding and accurate IEMs until I auditioned the Westone UM3X.
biggrin.gif

Other than the sound stage and bass, the UM3X wins IE7 in every other aspect. I am very amazed you find IE7 mids forward and the highs are precise. As a record, please listen to Yanni Live at Acropolis "Aria" using the IE7 and Westone UM3X and you will know how much you have short-changed your ears.
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #608 of 817
After having read this thread and other similar threads on Head-fi to decide which IEM to get I thought it would be nice to start an account and share some of my findings.

I'm new at hifi so haven't got a lot of experience with high(er) quality audio, so can't make a good camparison or properly describe how it sounds. There are far better impressions by people better qualified, but here's my 2 cents.

IE7 used with ipod nano 2G, previously CX-300 and EP-830

First thing to notice is the build quality of them. All plastic, but really sturdy.
Then the cables, maybe even better than the housings. When worn over my ears there is almost no microphonics (real improvement from CX-300 cables).

Then the important part how does it sound. A great leap forward comming from previous owned phones. Can hear so much more detail in songs. Can hear instruments in song i didn't know where there. Can really pick out one instrument in a song and concentrate on that for a while and discovering whole new depths to it. It's an improvement over the whole frequency range bass mids to highs are better. It also showed the importance of proper quality music files. Mp3s on 128 kbps which i could listen too with the EP-830 were horrible with the IE7. They showed to me the importance of a good source.

Also have a few downsides with them. One is the isolation, as has been discussed a lot already. Not really a big problem for me, but would prefer slightly more isolation.
Then something that is slightly more problematic is the fit. I tried all the tips, the ebay tips (which work the best) and some other el cheapo tips, but none give me a really comfortable feel. The fit is ok, but nothing near perfect.

All in all very happy with the IE7 certainly compared with previous IEMs SQ wise. Though also some small fit issues. Not big enough to want me to get rid of them, but enough so that any next IEMs might be from another brand.

Also found out that this audio hobby/interest can be quite "dangerous". Thought i'd be happy with these phones for a long time, but already waiting for the final parts of a mini3 amp and gamma2 dac to arrive and quietly gathering information about tube amps. Oh well.

Jan 19, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #609 of 817
Count me as another happy IE7 user. They actually kicked off my interest in Head-fi stuff. I picked them up cheap in an airport, as they were on sale. Being a Grado man when it comes to full-size cans I really like having a different presentation when i am out and about. I have no real experience with other decent IEMs but i really like what i hear out of my IE7.

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #610 of 817
I also have the ie7 and find them very enjoyable as well with the right type of music, i do love that large soundstage ,although i do find the treble has its limations,having said that i also own the ie8,and while the ie8 is clearly the superior of the two, there: are many times when i prefure the sound of the ie7 to that of the ie8, mainly becouse the ie7s base is more natural sounding and dose not colour the vocals in eny way.
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #611 of 817
I've been experimenting with tips for my IE7 recently.

I had been using the stock medium single flange/cushions, but they seemed to just not give the most secure seal.

I just put on some medium V-Moda Bass Freq tips today, and WOW. The isolation is much improved because of a better seal, and also probably because of the thicker rubber. If anyone has owned a pair of V-Modas, I highly suggest you give the tips a try, they fit the nozzle perfectly.

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #612 of 817
Hey guys
I joined just now because I have been readin this entire thread haha and I have some questions

Im not very knowledgeable about too many different headphones and what some of the words used here really 'mean' in reality, but I am trying to get a grasp of it all.

Im considering buying either the IE6 or the IE7 for summer when I can't really wear my ES7's around cos its too hot (and mess up my hair...). I read a lot here about how many people do not like 'bass heads' but I guess I am one...I really love a deep powerful clear but tight base with clear good mids and great detail from the highs. From my own experience, what encapsulates this is more or less the Denon C551's I had (but lost) but did find them a bit tooo coarse up hi sometimes. I like the attack and the warmth of Bose On-Ears, as well as its bass. My current ES7's are great too after the mods, so I am wondering, for someone like me, would the bassier IE6's be better or is the soundstage and better mids and hi's from the IE7 worth the lesser bass (and is the bass still pretty damn amazing on the IE7?). Also money isnt really a problem because on Amazon UK both IE6 and IE7 are like the same price haha.

Thanks for the help and advice in advance, I hope I havent made a fool out of myself..

Feb 5, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #613 of 817
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisIsEddLi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys
I joined just now because I have been readin this entire thread haha and I have some questions

Im not very knowledgeable about too many different headphones and what some of the words used here really 'mean' in reality, but I am trying to get a grasp of it all.

Im considering buying either the IE6 or the IE7 for summer when I can't really wear my ES7's around cos its too hot (and mess up my hair...). I read a lot here about how many people do not like 'bass heads' but I guess I am one...I really love a deep powerful clear but tight base with clear good mids and great detail from the highs. From my own experience, what encapsulates this is more or less the Denon C551's I had (but lost) but did find them a bit tooo coarse up hi sometimes. I like the attack and the warmth of Bose On-Ears, as well as its bass. My current ES7's are great too after the mods, so I am wondering, for someone like me, would the bassier IE6's be better or is the soundstage and better mids and hi's from the IE7 worth the lesser bass (and is the bass still pretty damn amazing on the IE7?). Also money isnt really a problem because on Amazon UK both IE6 and IE7 are like the same price haha.

Thanks for the help and advice in advance, I hope I havent made a fool out of myself..

hi,the ie7 has plenty of bass, you wont be dissapointed with it,but if you could get the ie8s they have even bigger bass and treble is so much more refined and detailed than ie7s treble which has its limitations.

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #614 of 817
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi,the ie7 has plenty of bass, you wont be dissapointed with it,but if you could get the ie8s they have even bigger bass and treble is so much more refined and detailed than ie7s treble which has its limitations.

X2,000

Feb 5, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #615 of 817
Oh i see
so i should definitely go for the IE7's. IE8's are too expensive for me and I think I would be scared using that around haha.
I am verrrryyy close to buyin the IE7's now, probs will in the next week or so.

is there any ways for u guys to describe the sound and feel of the IE7's compared to the Bose On-Ears, or ES7's, or should u not really compare IEMS to closeback on-ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back