Sennheiser IE7 Appreciation Thread ~~~
Nov 27, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #571 of 817
ZeusAudio:

From my experience with the IE7, the best universal tips for isolation and comfort are the Comply T400. With that said, even with the T400s, they don't isolate nearly as well as a pair of Etymotics, Shure, or Westones. If Etymotic-like isolation is your paramount concern and you think that they IE7s won't provide enough, given your musical preference maybe look into something by Shure or Westone--though somebody will probably disagree with me. I don't know about the UE superfi 5. If they have a similar fit to the Triple.Fi 10, then I would say that they isolate better than the IE7.

(Note: this next section is only is relevant if the Super.Fi 5 is similar in fit to the Triple.Fi)
I should add that when I purchased the IE7 I picked up the Triple.Fi 10 at the same time to do an A-B comparison. With the supplied tips, I thought that the UE felt more secure and isolated better. When I put a pair of Comply tips on the IE7, the division between the two drastically decreased: The IE7 felt vastly more secure and comfortable, but the UE was slightly better in the isolation department.

Sound-wise, I think that the IE7s are great with jazz (Coltrane and the like). Though I don't listen to hip hop, lately I have been listening to a lot of music with similar dynamics through my iPhone (unamped and w/o EQ) and think that they handle the genre very well. (Re: the use of the word "dynamics", I don't know the right phrasing but I hope you can make out what I am trying to say)

As this is the IE7 Appreciation Thread, I feel obligated to recommend the IE7s whole-heartedly. Realistically though, they can be very comfortable with the right tips, otherwise they are a constant irritation. From me the most comfortable were, in descending order, the Comply foams then the generic double-flanged tips from Ebay. I hated all 10,000 of the supplied tips. With Comply tips on the IE7, I was perfectly content keeping my iPhone under 1/4 volume while walking around the NYC.

I hope this helps.

Nov 30, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #573 of 817
After reading all the reviews I have decided to take the plunge. The only thing that scares me is all the talks of fakes floating around.....
Do these look like fakes to you?
SoundsBetter : Sennheiser IE7 Professional Portable Ear-canal Headphones Earphones
I ask because in the pictures the plastic where the headphone cable splits into right and left channels is not clear like some have stated. Is this a reputable company? If not does anyone have any suggestions on where I can pick up a cheap pair stateside? I really want these.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #574 of 817
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necromnicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After reading all the reviews I have decided to take the plunge. The only thing that scares me is all the talks of fakes floating around.....
Do these look like fakes to you?
SoundsBetter : Sennheiser IE7 Professional Portable Ear-canal Headphones Earphones
I ask because in the pictures the plastic where the headphone cable splits into right and left channels is not clear like some have stated. Is this a reputable company? If not does anyone have any suggestions on where I can pick up a cheap pair stateside? I really want these.

Those are definitely fake. Both the splitter and the plug are clearish, not opaque. Also, the plastic wrapping around the box is not nearly as loose as it is in that picture.

You can keep a watch on eBay for some inexpensive display models or used pairs, but you have to be careful there too... Amazon had them for $190 not too long ago, but it was through a third party seller.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #576 of 817
Dec 3, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #578 of 817
got my IE7's today and they are legit but I am not very satisfied with the sound quality... I have them hooked up to the headphone out of my X-Fi with all processing disabled and bit matched playback enabled and they sound like they are lacking in midrange and the treble is very harsh and metallic sounding... This is most noticable on cymbals. I have burned them in for about 5 hours today with a wide variety of music, 20hz to 20khz sweeps, and white/pink noise and will leave them burning in overnight, no improvement so far though....

I find the doubleflange medium to provide me with the best fit and most bass output although i think that those ebay doubleflange might provide a better fit so I ordered a pair. I will report back if they help at all or not.

I don't know why but i was expecting alot more from this IEM... I should also add that this is my first IEMs although I do own HD595s which sound fine... Maybe I expect too much out of an IEM? who knows...

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #579 of 817
not sure if its the tip or the burn in but after experimenting more and using the large single flange tips the sound is more balanced, the midrange sounds more forward, and the treble no longer sounds harsh...

overall I am getting the balanced warm sound I was looking for. This thing is really sensitive to tips lol

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #580 of 817
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necromnicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got my IE7's today and they are legit but I am not very satisfied with the sound quality... I have them hooked up to the headphone out of my X-Fi with all processing disabled and bit matched playback enabled and they sound like they are lacking in midrange and the treble is very harsh and metallic sounding... This is most noticable on cymbals. I have burned them in for about 5 hours today with a wide variety of music, 20hz to 20khz sweeps, and white/pink noise and will leave them burning in overnight, no improvement so far though....

I find the doubleflange medium to provide me with the best fit and most bass output although i think that those ebay doubleflange might provide a better fit so I ordered a pair. I will report back if they help at all or not.

I don't know why but i was expecting alot more from this IEM... I should also add that this is my first IEMs although I do own HD595s which sound fine... Maybe I expect too much out of an IEM? who knows...

Maybe you bought a fake. I only buy stuff on amazon,ebay less than 50$ or books.
With a expensive stuff, i want 2 years warranty and want to make sure it isn't a fake one.

Dec 3, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #581 of 817
Hey guys,

First post. I was looking at getting the IE7, but have some questions.

I mainly listen to music while I work or travel. I usually use my ipod or iphone to play music. Will these devices properly drive these earbuds? Also, when listening to music does sound leak out? ie will people around you be able to hear what you are listening to in a quiet setting?

Also, what are some other comparable IEMs?

Sorry for being a noob.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #582 of 817
Quote:

Originally Posted by sen_fan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you bought a fake. I only buy stuff on amazon,ebay less than 50$ or books.
With a expensive stuff, i want 2 years warranty and want to make sure it isn't a fake one.

I'm positive these are not fakes. This is my first experience with IEMs so I didn't realize how much the different tips affect sound quality. With the large single flange rubber tips the sound is very good. The bass extension on these is really good. This is a very warm sounding IEM as long as you have the right tips. Overall I am satisfied and am looking forward to them getting beter after burn in.

If anyone gets these just realize you will probably hate the sound of these until you find the proper seal. I recommend that you try the double flange medium and the single flange large first and go from there...

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #583 of 817
Mine will be here in a couple of days,can't wait!
icon10.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #584 of 817
Just got the ebay double flanges but the fit for me isn't tight.... I must have huge ear canals or something lol... I am getting the comply T-400 mediums tommorrow. I will let you know how that goes...

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #585 of 817
I too have large ear canals. I was using the IE7 stock double flanges (largest ones) up until yesterday, these were the only stock tips that gave me any form of isolation. I've just switched to some T400 mediums and they fit nicely. Lovely sound too, just as much bass as with the stock double flanges and much more comfortable. However, I find there's slightly less isolation with the T400's than the Sennheiser large double flanges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back