Sennheiser HD439 review
Jul 30, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #138 of 167
Hi, i Currently own JVC HA RX 700 , and well i broke their pin and thought of replacing them
These are the best headphones i have had so far , i mostly use my headphones for listening to Rock Genre and sometiems Pop Music.
Do you think Sennheiser HD 439  are good for listening to ROCK music off a cellphone or laptop ?

I wanted to get Grado SR 60 e but they are 99euros in Europe (France/Germany) which is a little above my limit. I am willing to Dish out around 70 euro for a good set of cans
So whats the best option i have?
Can i get a quick reply , since i will be leaving europe soon and getting genuine Headphones back in Pakistan can be pretty tough

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #140 of 167
Grado SR60i
smily_headphones1.gif

But if you wish to get something warm, dark, go for the HD439

As i said , Grado SR60i are like 99 Euro here in France and even in Germany on Amazon , and Amazon US does not deliver to France ..
So they are out of my prize range :frowning2:
I so wanted them

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #141 of 167
HD 439 vs HD 449
I dont really listen to Hip Hop or tracks with too much Bass. I do listen to Rock Music so i would want cans with good bass but not looking for bass beasts.
Keeping that in view what would be a better option for me , 449 or 439 or any other Cans in this price range ?
Not an Audiophile , dont really know much  so help would be much appreciated
I plan to use them with my android cell phone and HP Probook 450 without an AMP

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #142 of 167
The Sennheiser HD439 will greatly fit your needs IMO. It does best with EDM music, rocks music, it does pop music fine, the dark signature makes it great even with bad recordings. :) it does not need an amp to be happy but upgrading one will be so slightly beneficial,

If you need something with better isolation, look into the SRH-440 (not Shure if you can find it in your price range thought), it's thinner in sound but other than that, it has smooth mids and crystal clear tops to sound great with the genre of music you listen to,

But if you were to ask me, for the genre of music you listen to and purely by sound, I will go for the HD439 over SRH-440 for you.

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #145 of 167
The Sennheiser HD439 will greatly fit your needs IMO. It does best with EDM music, rocks music, it does pop music fine, the dark signature makes it great even with bad recordings. :) it does not need an amp to be happy but upgrading one will be so slightly beneficial,

If you need something with better isolation, look into the SRH-440 (not Shure if you can find it in your price range thought), it's thinner in sound but other than that, it has smooth mids and crystal clear tops to sound great with the genre of music you listen to,

But if you were to ask me, for the genre of music you listen to and purely by sound, I will go for the HD439 over SRH-440 for you.

Hope it helps
Billson :)

What about 439 vs 449 for my case?

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #147 of 167
Alternative rock
Nu metal
Pop rock
Indy
Bands like Linkin Park (old stuff )
Breaking Benjamin
End game
Simple plan
Hinder
Nickel back
Marianams trench
Red
30 seconds to Mars

Plan to go into more heavy and metal stuff soon

HD439 would be my recommendation.

Sep 14, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #148 of 167
While I've been appreciating the performance of my closed on-ear Sennheiser HD360pro ($69.96 from TigerDirect) and Scosche RH1056md ($49.99 from NewEgg), they remain no substitute for my dear departed Sennheiser HD555 (with foam mod), so I just bought the Sennheiser HD439 ($44.95 from NewEgg) and am looking forward to some comfortable closed headphones for long periods of office use.

I expect I will try the bass mod.

From my experience with the HD555, I'm well aware of the need for proper burn-in before judging. I still recall the horror at the weak tinny noise which first came from them of of the box. They will be powered by my FiiO E6 (now called the FUJIYAMA-E06)

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #149 of 167
After burn-in playing some pop-rock FM radio station through them at fairly loud volume in the basement continuously for about three days followed by some hours of non-stop NIN at high volume, I've started listening to them and am impressed.

The design and fit is obviously similar to the HD555, but lighter. Small details such as the smaller foam pad on the headband make them seem lower quality, which of course they are - to an extent. Once on my rather large head, none of that matters as they are very comfortable and the sound is a significant step up from the HD360pro and much closer to my recollection of the open HD555 despite being closed.

The first listening session was a good test for their primary use, as it was to podcasts and streaming video of various quality while there was nearby background noise and interruptions. They have a good balance of isolation and openness. Closed headphones usually feel too much like the sound is being pressed against my ears and while this can help with bass I much prefer the more loudspeaker-like sound of open headphones. These certainly do focus the soundstage within the head, but it doesn't sound restricted to that space.

Music listening has revealed the impressive performance of which these are capable, listening through the headphone port of my TEAC REF130 amp fed by analogue output from my PC's sound card (ATI SBx00 Azalia, Intel HDA driver) and played with Audacious media player with no downsampling, replay gain or effects. Media are all 96 kHz 24 bit FLAC.

NIN "Hesitation Marks" and How to destroy angels "Welcome oblivion" quickly answer any question of frequency range, especially at the low end. I've listened to both in my home theater with a SVS PC12-NSD sub, so I know how low these go. The headphones don't go that low, but the sound is balanced and quite accurate down to an impressive low.

Other listening so far includes Chopin "Piano Concerto No. 1 in E minor", Mozart "Requiem in D minor, ed. R. Levin: Lux Aeterna" and Jean Michel Jarre "Oxygene IV" and continues to impress.

At $44.95, these are extraordinary value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back