Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Sep 4, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #5,149 of 9,298
  @Krutsch, I haven't found a SS amp that will work with the HD-700 yet, maybe the H-10 might work.  Agree with you that the tubes roll of the highs enough to make it less fatiguing and very enjoyable.

I tried the Asgaard 2 and now have used my AK Jr and both were are very good with the HD700. Now I will admit that my Lyr 2 with upgraded tubes is better but all are enjoyable.

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #5,150 of 9,298

I tried the Asgaard 2 and now have used my AK Jr and both were are very good with the HD700. Now I will admit that my Lyr 2 with upgraded tubes is better but all are enjoyable.

Just curious... what glass do you have in your Lyr 2?

Sep 4, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #5,151 of 9,298
While I typically use my WA7, the amp built into my Grace Design m920 is obviously solid state, and I think it pairs pretty well with the HD 700s.

Tried a WA7d a while ago, while the amp section fed from either a Bifrost or UD-301 is pretty good, the DAC section didn't do the amp section justice, the sound was less dynamic.  Never heard a Grace Design m920 so can't comment there. The H-10 was a little too warm sounding amp when I tried it with my HD-650 so that's why I commented that it might work with the HD-700. 

When used with fiio x5 classic as dac, i can use 700 with solid state amps. I tried e12 and it worked well.

I don't have the X5 but the original X3, X3ii, and X1.  The X3 by it self is ok for me and my GF but the sound is a little is less dynamic than when driven by the Ember or BH Crack.

The Asgard2 was just a little to bright for me, also the original m/m stack, my GF can't even listen to the HD-700 with the Asgard2, its just to harsh and fatiguing for her, granted her hearing is way better than mine.  She will use a Fiio X3 with the HD-700 once in a while when she walks the dog as the X3 is on the warmer side IMO.

Sep 4, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #5,152 of 9,298

Just curious... what glass do you have in your Lyr 2?

I have 1975 Voskhod Rockets 6n23p tubes currently running.

Sep 5, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #5,153 of 9,298
Yeah, I used the DAC in the WA7 for about a year, and it's good, but not at the level of the amp section (which is how the unit was designed, so I'm fine with that).  I'm only using the amp section now, with the m920 supplying all of my digital audio.

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #5,155 of 9,298
Which amp do you recommend with HD700s and dragonfly? I have Bravo V2 and im  not really happy. BUt ill have to try if its better directly into Dragonfly(have to buy adapter).

I'm using cayin c5 and dragonfly, it's pretty good. Although sometimes I wish it had more a bit power because it's nearly running full volume. Direct to dragonfly it's ok but not great.

Sep 5, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #5,156 of 9,298
I've had mine burning for about 6 hours so far and am really enjoying them. I was looking for greater clarity and treble extension than my HD650 with portability (I move around a lot while working and need something that can attach to my iPhone and travel with me). I did notice that driver placement on my head is pretty picky. If I push them forward so that the backs of my ears are touching the inside rear of the pads, the sibiliance and hot treble tones down a lot.

I just picked up "Born and Raised" by John Mayer and had a hard time liking it on my HD650- too muddy and undefined. I'm really liking it on the HD700 for the increased soundstage, clarity, and treble extension. Punchier bass, too. I have a lot more to listen to, but I can see where this could help out some of my darker CDs. Detail is certainly better, too.

James Taylor's "Live at the Beacon Theater" DVD was great. Really nice textures in the instruments and a very light yet full sound. Great micro detail compared to my HD650. It was a 256K mp3 rip, so they were pretty forgiving as well. Not so detailed that I heard artifacting from my iPhone.

Lastly, I've read some complaints about clamping force. I have what I would like to believe is a "normal" sized head and I wouldn't mind if there was a little more. The cans are very comfortable but I feel the pads sliding a bit when I look down.

This is all based on my iPhone and iPad unamped. I'll try them out with my iBasso D4 (iPad connected) and Little Dot mk III soon to see what they do. My LD has 8161s in it, so I'm interested to see what they do to the tone.

Overall, a nice set of cans but I'm still very on the fence about the value for the price. Thankfully, amazon will give me 28 more days to decide. It's definitely worth giving it a fair chance from what I've heard so far.

Really?!  you were using the HD700 on your iPHone UNamped?!  I've never heard the HD700's, but based on their impedance, I would've thought this would be impossible!  Having that capability in a pinch is a nice option for me, so let me know!

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #5,157 of 9,298
  Really?!  you were using the HD700 on your iPHone UNamped?!  I've never heard the HD700's, but based on their impedance, I would've thought this would be impossible!  Having that capability in a pinch is a nice option for me, so let me know!

Impedance isn't the only factor, you know. Sensitivity is much more important than impedance most of the time.

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #5,158 of 9,298
Impedance isn't the only factor, you know. Sensitivity is much more important than impedance most of the time.

Fair enough, thanks for the insight.

Still, is this useable in a case where I can't use it amped?

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #5,159 of 9,298
Fair enough, thanks for the insight.

Still, is this useable in a case where I can't use it amped?

Yes, it's usable, but it won't be loud, and also the sound will be sluggish (might depend on which phone in this case, my phone's notoriously bad for volume). No idea why: probably the phone amp is working at its limits.

Sep 5, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #5,160 of 9,298
Sennheiser's dynamic headphones in general strike me as pretty easy to amp. My take is that the hd 598 needs 0.5 to 1 volt, hd 700 needs 1-2 volts, and hd 800/650/600 needs 2-3 volts rms, assuming negligible output impedance. The iphone's amp being capable of 1 volt, it looks like it would be fine for an hd 700. The hd 800, with a desktop dac, you can get away with 1x gain. 1x gain means the amp doesn't have to be expensive, and that's their flagship dynamic headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back