Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #5,131 of 9,326
I think some gear is very heavily engineered toward balanced operation. For example the Sennheiser amp was pathetic single ended but excellent balanced. The balanced Musical Fidelity amp I currently have is very close either way.

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #5,132 of 9,326
Totally. I still use balanced for many of my headphone because the amp seems to drive them better than on my single ended amps. The extra dB's from balanced output is always welcomed, but I dislike the stepped POT on my ROC. Everytime I turn up the volume there is either a loud click or pop.

donlin, the reason the Sennheiser amp sounded bad from it's single ended output is the same reason the ROC does,  current and output voltage are halved.

Doesn't the Musical Fidelity amp have a high output impedance of 20Ohms or so? That things going to have a negative effect on the HD700, not so much on your HD650. The GH-1 will also be effected and will sound mushy or congested.

Quote:
  Have to agree…a few dBs can make a large difference in perceived sound quality, which is why many believe balanced is the way to go...I just mentioned it as that is the way I have things configured....but besides the added gain...when levels are matched between balanced and single ended the difference is really negligible if non existent with headphones. Obviously with inefficient phones that greater increase in volume is greatly appreciate which is why I use it... but there shouldn’t be any difference in sound quality, but many beg to differ.
Interconnects on the other hand when long distance are employed..... a balanced configuration can make the world of difference, especially with regards to noise rejection.

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #5,133 of 9,326
No the MX-HPA output impedance is 3.5 ohms. It is wonderful with the 700's, the best of the amps I've tried so far.

Aug 31, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #5,135 of 9,326
Alert !!!!!!!

Hi Guys…here I was trying to wrestle with the sound of my newly owned Audeze LCD2.2 and while checking them with my Stereophile Test CDs discovered one of the channels of my stock balanced cable is out of phase, dah !!! 
eek.gif
Confirmed by swapping it with the stock single ended 1/4 “cable and a custom cable with a 1/8” plug…so I’ll need to redo my comparisons with the HD700s.
redface.gif

Oddly I’m very familiar with the effects of things being out of phase...not as pronounced as with speakers...but still I knew there had to be something off as the LCD-2s just didn’t appear to stand up to all the hype…especially concerning the base.
I've edited/erased the previous impressions, except for the first post which was done with the single ended cable....so ignore most of what I've written....I'll keep you up to date.
Meanwhile I'll contact Audeze with my discovery.

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #5,136 of 9,326
  Alert !!!!!!!

Hi Guys…here I was trying to wrestle with the sound of my newly owned Audeze LCD2.2 and while checking them with my Stereophile Test CDs discovered one of the channels of my stock balanced cable is out of phase, dah !!! 
eek.gif
Confirmed by swapping it with the stock single ended 1/4 “cable and a custom cable with a 1/8” plug…so I’ll need to redo my comparisons with the HD700s.
redface.gif

Oddly I’m very familiar with the effects of things being out of phase...not as pronounced as with speakers...but still I knew there had to be something off as the LCD-2s just didn’t appear to stand up to all the hype…especially concerning the base.
I've edited/erased the previous impressions, except for the first post which was done with the single ended cable....so ignore most of what I've written....I'll keep you up to date.
Meanwhile I'll contact Audeze with my discovery.

Although Audeze seems to have quite a few quality control problems, it makes you wonder how often this happens with any headphones.

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #5,137 of 9,326
Quote:

Although Audeze seems to have quite a few quality control problems, it makes you wonder how often this happens with any headphones.

Apparently AKG shipped out a few K702s..I believe... with polarity reversed inside the phones..at least with the Audeze it was just the cable.
Been listening to the LCD-2s all morning, they are indeed a fine phone now that I discovered what the problem was, base is back and they sound way more coherent for obvious reasons
tongue.gif
…..different from the HD700s…but a keeper. : )

Sep 2, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #5,141 of 9,326
+1 I cringe when I see a headphone pad being squashed by a stand it's always best to let your ears shape the earpads as they break in.

Same here.  Those stands always look like they would do a lot of damage. 

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #5,142 of 9,326
There isn't really enough clamp to smush the pads. Just took it for a picture as I know what you mean. I never leave my headphones like that but thought it was a fitting picture. Anyway, enjoy your stand with the bar smushing the middle of your headband. 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #5,144 of 9,326
  There isn't really enough clamp to smush the pads. Just took it for a picture as I know what you mean. I never leave my headphones like that but thought it was a fitting picture. Anyway, enjoy your stand with the bar smushing the middle of your headband. 
rolleyes.gif

The bar smushing the middle of the headband is another thing I don't like and have modded my stands with memory foam and leather so they are like the picture below:

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #5,145 of 9,326
Hmm... I spent part of my morning listening to various tracks (alternative rock) with the HD-700s using my NAD D 1050. This DAC/amp combo really makes my Grados sing, believe it or not, but with the 700s it was seriously fatiguing.

Edgy, bright, hollow mids... I don't know how to describe it, but I can see why so many people hate these cans, depending on the playback chain.

When I use these cans with (some) tubes, they are wonderful, as I suppose the tubes are rolling off some of the high frequencies and allowing the other portions to shine through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back