Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #5,116 of 9,326
  That is why the amp used is important with the HD-700, I couldn't stand them with my Asgard2, Magni, and AH-01 while they sound great with the Ember, pretty good to great with BH Crack and pretty good with Lyr2 depending on tubes used.  My GF who is much more sensitive to highs only uses the Ember and X3 with the HD-700.

It's not an amp thing. It just takes some getting used to if you are coming from veiled headphones. Though, make sure you have low output impedance for them to sound right.

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #5,119 of 9,326
  It's not an amp thing. It just takes some getting used to if you are coming from veiled headphones. Though, make sure you have low output impedance for them to sound right.

I wouldn't call DT-990, HE-400i/560, and RS2e veiled headphones so there was no getting used to it for me.  Also, the HD-700's are about middle of the road when it come to impedance @150 ohms, with the Project Ember the output impedance is on the middle setting for best matching with the HD-700, if set on low the bass becomes muddy IMO.  The 150ohm impedance also could be a reason why it doesn't sound as good on the BH Crack which was designed for higher impedance headphones like HD-600/650/800, DT-990 (250) and T1.

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #5,120 of 9,326
New addition to the household…a pair of Audeze LCD2.2 Rosewood…pre-fazor……heard the fazor model a few weeks ago at a dealer and was intrigued not having heard any Audezes before.

Haven’t had time yet for extensive listening…but my closest analogy sound wise is that the HD700s are like sitting behind the wheel of a sports car and the LCD2s are like sitting in the back seat of a comfy limo due to fairly large drop after 2K…so a fairly inoffensive phone.
Base on the Audeze is fairly linear and maybe deeper…but the 700s is more articulate with an added punch…treble extension and air obviously goes to the 700s as well as stage width and depth…both present a very clean midrange..but the LCD-2 are darker/warmer overall.
Comfort and long-term wear-ability the 700s win hands down…but I can see the LCD-2s having their place as the 2 phones somewhat compliment each other…but only long term listening will decide if I hold onto the Audeze, the HD700s will definitely be staying.

I'm thinking of the same progression as you. My next cans would probably be an audience or ether but much further down the road.

Aug 29, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #5,122 of 9,326
Morning, please bear with me as I'm not a real tech head as I have a question about the output of my AK jr and the HD700. Using my ie800 with the jr the volume level is more than enough but I am moving house shortly and can no longer use my active monitors for my remixes so I thought I'd get a good pair of headphones to replace - I tried the hd700 and hd800 yesterday at Richer sounds for an hour and was shocked to see how little volume came through on either via my jR. These phones would only ever be used occasionally outside my studio setup so not a major issue but could I get a portable headphone amp like the e17 to ramp it up as I am a little deaf in one ear and it would be nice to not always use my ie800 for leisure use. In the studio I would be monitoring direct from a MOTU 828 headphone socket and I note from their website In 2006 they said "The output impedance of the 828mkII's headphone output is 30½ at 200mW. This output can drive any typical pair of headphones without the use of a separate headphone amp." Will this be loud enough on its own do you think or will I still need to amp it ? I suppose I am also asking that for the quality of the headphones is the e17 / ak jr combo good enough ? Thanks

Aug 29, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #5,124 of 9,326
Morning, please bear with me as I'm not a real tech head as I have a question about the output of my AK jr and the HD700. Using my ie800 with the jr the volume level is more than enough but I am moving house shortly and can no longer use my active monitors for my remixes so I thought I'd get a good pair of headphones to replace - I tried the hd700 and hd800 yesterday at Richer sounds for an hour and was shocked to see how little volume came through on either via my jR. These phones would only ever be used occasionally outside my studio setup so not a major issue but could I get a portable headphone amp like the e17 to ramp it up as I am a little deaf in one ear and it would be nice to not always use my ie800 for leisure use. In the studio I would be monitoring direct from a MOTU 828 headphone socket and I note from their website In 2006 they said "The output impedance of the 828mkII's headphone output is 30½ at 200mW. This output can drive any typical pair of headphones without the use of a separate headphone amp." Will this be loud enough on its own do you think or will I still need to amp it ? I suppose I am also asking that for the quality of the headphones is the e17 / ak jr combo good enough ? Thanks

I have the HD700's and AK Jr and I get plenty of volume so I am shocked by your comment. I generally run them between 50-55 out of 75. Now in the HD800 I definitely could see that as besides a higher load they are significantly less efficient. You will not likely get better performance through your E17 as it is only spec'd 40mw into 150 ohms where the Jr is 25mw and you are going through additional cables and stages. Having said that amping up with my HA-2 or Lyr 2 does improve control especially the low end but once again volume should not be an issue on the 700s.  

Aug 29, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #5,125 of 9,326
Yo gents,

I've been using the HD700 exclusively with my Phonitor Mini and this amp really opens up the HD700. The ROC is very close but is not quite as neutral as I'd like. The Mini is dead neutral. like the Auditor, but has high current output. 

The HD700 sound great out of the V200, but I've noticed the amp is very forgiving with bright headphones. It rolls off the upper treble and is missing a lot of micro detail in the upper registers. It also lacks transparency with the midrange. Bass is also a tad elevated and can bloat bass heavy headphones. The HD700 on this amp is more midrange oriented.

Aug 29, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #5,126 of 9,326
I have the HD700's and AK Jr and I get plenty of volume so I am shocked by your comment. I generally run them between 50-55 out of 75. Now in the HD800 I definitely could see that as besides a higher load they are significantly less efficient. You will not likely get better performance through your E17 as it is only spec'd 40mw into 150 ohms where the Jr is 25mw and you are going through additional cables and stages. Having said that amping up with my HA-2 or Lyr 2 does improve control especially the low end but once again volume should not be an issue on the 700s.

Thanks for that - they're arriving Tuesday so I will try again with my Ak Jr and if it is my dodgy hearing I might have to try (with the help of Amazon and their return policy) the amps you mentioned.

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #5,127 of 9,326
Lucky me.. we have lcd-2 owner here.
I screwed myself and bidded on lcd-2 on 3bay; (it was rosewood, nor sure rev2). How does it sound with classics? Is the staging close to hd700, or 650 (laidback)?

Aug 30, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #5,129 of 9,326
Besides more noise rejection and channel separation, there's no difference between balanced and single ended in sound quality. Now I'm not bashing it, I use a balanced amp after all for 1/3 of my headphone collection. It works good on my K701's and K601's, as well as the HD600 and HD700. Balanced output from my ROC has a lot more juice and gain, perfect for the K701 and K601. If I'm not using balanced, then I use the Phonitor Mini, Auditor, and V200 instead.

For the HD700, the Phonitor Mini super clean presentation is the best! Plenty of power with neutrality.

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #5,130 of 9,326
  Besides more noise rejection and channel separation, there's no difference between balanced and single ended in sound quality. .........

Have to agree…a few dBs can make a large difference in perceived sound quality, which is why many believe balanced is the way to go...I just mentioned it as that is the way I have things configured....but besides the added gain...when levels are matched between balanced and single ended the difference is really negligible if non existent with headphones. Obviously with inefficient phones that greater increase in volume is greatly appreciate which is why I use it... but there shouldn’t be any difference in sound quality, but many beg to differ.
Interconnects on the other hand when long distance are employed..... a balanced configuration can make the world of difference, especially with regards to noise rejection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back