Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Sep 5, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #5,161 of 9,326
  Sennheiser's dynamic headphones in general strike me as pretty easy to amp. My take is that the hd 598 needs 0.5 to 1 volt, hd 700 needs 1-2 volts, and hd 800/650/600 needs 2-3 volts rms, assuming negligible output impedance. The iphone's amp being capable of 1 volt, it looks like it would be fine for an hd 700. The hd 800, with a desktop dac, you can get away with 1x gain. 1x gain means the amp doesn't have to be expensive, and that's their flagship dynamic headphone.

Careful what you say, others are gonna throw stuff at you like 'equipment matching, harmonics, tubes, synergy, etc.' 
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #5,162 of 9,326
  Sennheiser's dynamic headphones in general strike me as pretty easy to amp. My take is that the hd 598 needs 0.5 to 1 volt, hd 700 needs 1-2 volts, and hd 800/650/600 needs 2-3 volts rms, assuming negligible output impedance. The iphone's amp being capable of 1 volt, it looks like it would be fine for an hd 700. The hd 800, with a desktop dac, you can get away with 1x gain. 1x gain means the amp doesn't have to be expensive, and that's their flagship dynamic headphone.

I have no experience with other Senn's. But these HD700's are surprisingly efficient. I run spotify wireless out of PS4 controller and is damn good.
I'm really digging this setup for extended gaming, I can go 6-7 Hrs without needing to adjust them. Just fit it and forget it.

I got these a year ago, I can't find a reason to upgrade/complement these. What are bargain, these were at $550. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about my IEMs.

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #5,163 of 9,326
  Careful what you say, others are gonna throw stuff at you like 'equipment matching, harmonics, tubes, synergy, etc.' 
wink.gif

Yes, do be careful; others are gonna say everything sounds the same. 
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #5,164 of 9,326
  Really?!  you were using the HD700 on your iPHone UNamped?!  I've never heard the HD700's, but based on their impedance, I would've thought this would be impossible!  Having that capability in a pinch is a nice option for me, so let me know!

They actually sound pretty nice from the iPod Touch (5th gen) unamped. You ARE going to miss that really wide soundstage that you get when amped, and the volume is not super high (albeit plenty loud in a non noisy environment). Plus, unless all your music is in AAC lossless, you are still contending with compressed music files (which, with the HD700 you can hear poor quality music easily) because of the limited number of formats supported.

With an amp (in my case a FiiO E17, but not my E17K) I think the combination actually sounds very good (still not the best it CAN be, but fantastic for portable). I think it sounds better than (my portable rigs) the FiiO X5 gen 1, and the X3II, both amped AND unamped (though the X3II is close behind), because of the iPod Touch's warmer presentation. It just doesn't have that SS sound to it like the iPod Classic 6th gen has (no longer owned by me).

Hardware wise, the iPod Touch 5th gen is really nice, it just suffers from the "Apple" stubbornness; few formats supported, no memory upgrade, etc... Oh what it could have been...

So, sitting in a hotel room, I prefer the iPod Touch + FiiO E17 (or even unamped), but if on the go, I like the X3II (unamped). Yes, I do wear them when on the go, but nothing like jogging, or working out, or etc... IMHO I don't really like the X5 gen 1 for the HD700 either amped OR unamped (though I absolutely love it for other phones).   

Your best bet, if you don't have any AAC lossless, is to listen to Google Play Music, because they are streamed at 320k (which is not GREAT, but better than iTunes IMO). Honestly, if listening to the right kind of music, they DO sound pretty good. Example: the song "Sense" by Tenpenny Joke sounds fantastic on the iPod touch with the HD700. ​

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #5,165 of 9,326
Yeah, that seals it. I've got a FiiO E7 and sound blaster E5 for portable. Any suggestions for a small, almost portable desktop amp with these?
I'll probably get a custom cable with iPhone remote for rare occasions. Then they can stay on me permanently. Any adapters so I can use them in the shower? :wink:

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #5,167 of 9,326
I don't doubt that they are not the best choice for a  portable headphone, other choices will probably better.
As far as noise pollution bothering others, again yes, but they would have to be fairly close to you I think to really be troubled by them.  It depends on how loud and obnoxious the music is.  I wouldn't use them lying in bed next to a partner. 
If these two issues are truly important to you, another headphone is a better choice. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #5,168 of 9,326
I don't doubt that they are not the best choice for a  portable headphone, other choices will probably better.

As far as noise pollution bothering others, again yes, but they would have to be fairly close to you I think to really be troubled by them.  It depends on how loud and obnoxious the music is.  I wouldn't use them lying in bed next to a partner. 

If these two issues are truly important to you, another headphone is a better choice. 

I was just curious, how many people use it for travel. I do have a travel headphones which is NAD HP 50 so for me HD 700 is purely for home use.

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #5,169 of 9,326

I was just curious, how many people use it for travel. I do have a travel headphones which is NAD HP 50 so for me HD 700 is purely for home use.

My GF uses the HD700 once in a while when she walks the dog, she didn't want a closed headphone because she wanted to be aware of her surroundings.

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #5,170 of 9,326

My GF uses the HD700 once in a while when she walks the dog, she didn't want a closed headphone because she wanted to be aware of her surroundings.

Thats actually really smart. I also started using open headphones in the office so I can hear the phone ring or respond to people who are talking to me. Downside is my wife who sits next to me in the office dances to my music. hahahahahaha

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #5,175 of 9,326
  My HD 700 is too precious to be used outdoor. Its my most expensive headphone.

I would agree with you but if you know how much some of those designer handbags the women like cost you will realize that headphones are on the cheaper side.  One of the most popular Chanel handbags, Classic medium double flap is $3500, and knowing women they want to match their outfit so they get the same bag in black, red and white, my GF has a black and red one and these are used every day.  She also has Louis Vuitton, Fendi, Prada, Hermes, and a few other brands of bags.  On the plus side some of the bags have a life time warranty, I know one of my old
GF got a scratch on the leather of her Chanel handbag and got it repaired for free, think they just gave her a new bag.

Well she was a cheerleader about 25 years ago so she got some moves. Old ones though. hahahahaha!

My ex-wife was a cheerleader also, yup they have some moves
biggrin.gif
 but my current GF used to be a ballerina and did some modern jazz dancing is much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back