Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #5,176 of 9,326
So, bringing us back to the HD700 and portability and off of how much DavidA is a pimp and scores all the hotties with expensive handbags....
Here's my position:
1. Open back leaking noise: I understand that, but what's the problem with somebody hearing your music at a very weak volume?  Its much better than those dips that drive around loudly and shaking everyone with their obnoxious bass.  Am I embarrassed of the music I'm listening to?  All that's going to happen is that people will see that I'm listening to music; which they could've done just by seeing the headphones on my head anyways.

2. Appearance: these are actually very cool looking headphones.  they fit on the head rather nicely, too, unlike other "portable" headphones that stick way out.  Also, there's the added benefit of these being ridiculously comfortable...

3. They are nice headphones, and perhaps I should pamper them, dust them, and keep them shielded from the light of day.  But, I want to get the most out of these headphones.  I'm going to maximize the listening time I can have with them!  Murphy's Law, of course, but Carpe Diem is a more thrilling way to live, in my estimation.  As DavidA so astutely pointed out, women walk around flinging $3500 purses, set them down in public restrooms, and treat them without much care (other than ensure the don't get stolen).  They don't keep them in their house just to fondle, they take them out to show them off!  What a great conversation starter that'd be if I saw somebody with HD700's on!  I'd immediately know it was a fellow audiophile!

4. I do also appreciate having them open a little.  This way I am not completely ignorant to the world around me.  I've had it happen to me before where I've turned around, only to see that some guy has been chasing me down and yelling at me because I dropped something; embarrassing.  Also, if on a phone call, its way more comfortable when you can hear your own voice clearly.  

Soooo, I know it might go against the grain a little bit to (sometimes) use these as portable, but I'll be jamming in audio bliss while others suffer through tracks on SkullCandy.  

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #5,177 of 9,326
  I would agree with you but if you know how much some of those designer handbags the women like cost you will realize that headphones are on the cheaper side.  One of the most popular Chanel handbags, Classic medium double flap is $3500, and knowing women they want to match their outfit so they get the same bag in black, red and white, my GF has a black and red one and these are used every day.  She also has Louis Vuitton, Fendi, Prada, Hermes, and a few other brands of bags.  On the plus side some of the bags have a life time warranty, I know one of my old
GF got a scratch on the leather of her Chanel handbag and got it repaired for free, think they just gave her a new bag.

My ex-wife was a cheerleader also, yup they have some moves
biggrin.gif
 but my current GF used to be a ballerina and did some modern jazz dancing is much better.

I don't know which is scarier; that you know all that?! Or.... that you know all that?!   

J/K

​
  My HD 700 is too precious to be used outdoor. Its my most expensive headphone.

I also agree with you on this, BUT..... I didn't plan on rolling on the ground, or doing something that will hurt them. Just walking around with them is really no different than walking around the house. Also, I don't live in a huge city, so I don't really have to worry about someone stealing them. Even if I were, I don't think that most people would know what they are (or care to) because of the way they look. After all most of the people that WOULD dare steal them like the blingy looks of Beats and the like... LOL  ​

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #5,178 of 9,326
    I don't know which is scarier; that you know all that?! Or.... that you know all that?!   

J/K

I know that its scary that I know all this about handbags and stuff, I will say that I have many friends that work in the fashion industry who can get me some of this stuff for 60-80% off, would never pay retail, wish I had friends in the audio industry who could do the same.  I've made a lot of friends in the fashion industry when I was younger and doing a lot of photography work, weddings, model portfolios, still life, and portraits.  I was also studying fashion design in college before changing over to engineering so got to know many that have since gone into the industry and are up in management who will get me great deals.

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #5,179 of 9,326
  So, bringing us back to the HD700 and portability and off of how much DavidA is a pimp and scores all the hotties with expensive handbags....
Here's my position:
1. Open back leaking noise: I understand that, but what's the problem with somebody hearing your music at a very weak volume?  Its much better than those dips that drive around loudly and shaking everyone with their obnoxious bass.  Am I embarrassed of the music I'm listening to?  All that's going to happen is that people will see that I'm listening to music; which they could've done just by seeing the headphones on my head anyways.

2. Appearance: these are actually very cool looking headphones.  they fit on the head rather nicely, too, unlike other "portable" headphones that stick way out.  Also, there's the added benefit of these being ridiculously comfortable...

3. They are nice headphones, and perhaps I should pamper them, dust them, and keep them shielded from the light of day.  But, I want to get the most out of these headphones.  I'm going to maximize the listening time I can have with them!  Murphy's Law, of course, but Carpe Diem is a more thrilling way to live, in my estimation.  As DavidA so astutely pointed out, women walk around flinging $3500 purses, set them down in public restrooms, and treat them without much care (other than ensure the don't get stolen).  They don't keep them in their house just to fondle, they take them out to show them off!  What a great conversation starter that'd be if I saw somebody with HD700's on!  I'd immediately know it was a fellow audiophile!

4. I do also appreciate having them open a little.  This way I am not completely ignorant to the world around me.  I've had it happen to me before where I've turned around, only to see that some guy has been chasing me down and yelling at me because I dropped something; embarrassing.  Also, if on a phone call, its way more comfortable when you can hear your own voice clearly.  

Soooo, I know it might go against the grain a little bit to (sometimes) use these as portable, but I'll be jamming in audio bliss while others suffer through tracks on SkullCandy.  

My GF got stopped one day many months ago when she had the HD-700 on, the girl asked her what kind of headphones they were so my GC let her try them, she really like them over her Beats and a few weeks later we saw her with a HD-700 walking her dog
biggrin.gif
, how great is that!

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #5,180 of 9,326
My GF got stopped one day many months ago when she had the HD-700 on, the girl asked her what kind of headphones they were so my GC let her try them, she really like them over her Beats and a few weeks later we saw her with a HD-700 walking her dog:D , how great is that!
Wow :O that is really great to have great headpones and show them to peoples who have beats headphones, so they can see that exist better headpones than Beats by dre.

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #5,181 of 9,326
  My GF got stopped one day many months ago when she had the HD-700 on, the girl asked her what kind of headphones they were so my GC let her try them, she really like them over her Beats and a few weeks later we saw her with a HD-700 walking her dog
biggrin.gif
how great is that!

How does that work with the awful HD-700 cable? She must wrap/coil it up or use a replacement cable?

I am seriously ready to buy a replacement cable, just to put an end to the kinking... 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #5,182 of 9,326

How does that work with the awful HD-700 cable? She must wrap/coil it up or use a replacement cable?

I am seriously ready to buy a replacement cable, just to put an end to the kinking... 
rolleyes.gif

I built 2 new cables for the HD-700, one 4 feet long for her to use while walking the dog and a second one 10 feet long for use at home on the sofa.  Short one made with Mogami star-quad 28 gauge, 3.5mm double-helix plug, long one is 24 gauge Canare star-quad with 1/4" Neutrik, the 2.5mm HD-700 connectors from china, http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4481 and http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=3313.
These are much easier to work with and cheaper than the HD-800 connectors which are a PITA to work with.

Yes the cable will kink very easy, tried hanging it with a weight for a few months and it still had some kinks in it, remember a few commenting about it last year or early this year.

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #5,183 of 9,326
Wow :O that is really great to have great headpones and show them to peoples who have beats headphones, so they can see that exist better headpones than Beats by dre.

She also got a great deal on the HD-700, found them on sale for $495 and she sold her Beats for $250, also got a Fiio X3 for cheap since they were selling them as old stock when the new X3ii came out.

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #5,184 of 9,326
So I received my Cardas cable from "the eBay guy":

Not ready to make impressions yet since I've been busy with work.

One small thing that bothers me is the connectors have no way of locking when you insert them into the headphones. With the stock cables, you can push into the jack and twist so they're secure and won't pull out on accident. You cannot do this with these cables. I've tried twisting every which way and eventually stopped in fear of breaking something.

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #5,186 of 9,326

biggrin.gif
how great is that!

rolleyes.gif

When I picked up my HD700 in the HF classifieds it also came with this (short) cable:
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/NEW-Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD700-HD-700-Headphone-/261317123574?clk_rvr_id=895957231208

Great for portable listening (use it a lot) and sq is imo at least on par with the stock cable
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #5,189 of 9,326
Sep 12, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #5,190 of 9,326
  I got one and I really hate this cable...

Does yours have this weird stiff coating on the bottom half?

Sorry to read you hate yours. I really like mine and don't consider the coating weird or stiff at all
blink.gif

Are you sure it's exactly the same cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back