Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #4,411 of 9,298
It's hard to know where to begin with a post like this.........

Maybe from "So I was looking for a amp which can tame the treble, sound a little bit warmer, smooth, focused bass and bring the low frequency instruments to front." then judging both amps I've mentioned based on your personal experience with these pairing with hd700?

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #4,412 of 9,298

Maybe from "So I was looking for a amp which can tame the treble, sound a little bit warmer, smooth, focused bass and bring the low frequency instruments to front." then judging both amps I've mentioned based on your personal experience with these pairing with hd700?

I have not heard either of those amps so cannot give any specific information.  The only Schiit amp I have owned is the Mjolnir and while it was a pretty good sounding amp, I would never rely on it to tame treble.  Amps that I have successfully used with the HD700, with no treble issues, are the Sennheiser HDVA600, Musical Fidelity MX-HPA, Cary HH-1, and Burson Soloist.  The Burson probably has the most focused bass of those.

Jul 10, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #4,413 of 9,298

I have the Lyr2 and while its great with planars its not the best with the HD-700.  I use a Project Ember for the HD-700 and with the right tube the treble is well controlled.  Also tried my BH Crack and while it does a better job than the Lyr2 its still behind the Ember.  Haven't tried a Valhalla2 so can't say how it will pair with HD-700.

Jul 12, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #4,414 of 9,298

I have the Lyr2 and while its great with planars its not the best with the HD-700.  I use a Project Ember for the HD-700 and with the right tube the treble is well controlled.  Also tried my BH Crack and while it does a better job than the Lyr2 its still behind the Ember.  Haven't tried a Valhalla2 so can't say how it will pair with HD-700.

Thanks for the suggestion. What's your impression about valhalla 2?

Jul 12, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #4,416 of 9,298
  After reading about the Valhalla2 on the Schit site I think it would be similar to most OTL amps but maybe a little more flexible than the BH Crack.

I am dying to audition a Valhalla ... I've never seen one at the meets I've attended, but it looks like a real value to me.

Jul 12, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #4,417 of 9,298

I am dying to audition a Valhalla ... I've never seen one at the meets I've attended, but it looks like a real value to me.

Only thing that concerns me is that you need to find match pairs for both driver and power tubes which can get pricy, something I have found with the Lyr2, only really good pair under $50 has been Reflectors and Vokshod rockets

Jul 12, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #4,418 of 9,298

Only thing that concerns me is that you need to find match pairs for both driver and power tubes which can get pricy, something I have found with the Lyr2, only really good pair under $50 has been Reflectors and Vokshod rockets

I don't think you need to be OCD about "matched pairs" of tubes and others that know a lot more about tubes on Head-Fi agree with me.

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #4,419 of 9,298

I don't think you need to be OCD about "matched pairs" of tubes and others that know a lot more about tubes on Head-Fi agree with me.

Agree about not being OCD but I've gotten two different Telefunken CCa from different years (2 years apart) and there is a noticeable channel imbalance and a FR difference between the two. One will match with another pair that I have but the other one is just a different sounding tube so I've been looking for one from the same year.  After this experience I've figured that it is easier to just get matched pairs and have the option of returning if there is a problem vs trying to find similar tubes myself.  This is just me from my experience and if others have been lucky without these issues then lucky for them.

Jul 12, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #4,420 of 9,298
Got my 700 in yesterday, had to run around today to find an adapter since my Aune T1 comes in on Tuesday. Compared to my AD700 with my inexperienced ears and going straight from my motherboard I feel like they're similar lets see if I can describe stuff. I get more bass now, less soundstage I guess? It does feel "stuffier" if I had to use another word, every now and then I get a weird feeling like "I've never heard this part of the song like this" or "oh, what was that?" and I get a small ounce of "oh that was nice" every time that happens.

Just ordered used a bunch of my favorite albums to rip myself. What have you all done to me?

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #4,421 of 9,298
  Got my 700 in yesterday, had to run around today to find an adapter since my Aune T1 comes in on Tuesday. Compared to my AD700 with my inexperienced ears and going straight from my motherboard I feel like they're similar lets see if I can describe stuff. I get more bass now, less soundstage I guess? It does feel "stuffier" if I had to use another word, every now and then I get a weird feeling like "I've never heard this part of the song like this" or "oh, what was that?" and I get a small ounce of "oh that was nice" every time that happens.

Just ordered used a bunch of my favorite albums to rip myself. What have you all done to me?

Welcome to the club! Hope you enjoy them!

On another note, I noticed this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/837008-REG/Sennheiser_HD700_HD_700_Open_Aire_Stereo.html the other day. They are selling for $547.99 (why the odd number, I don't know), as well as a few other sites too. It still shows as $749 on Senn site.

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #4,422 of 9,298
I bought my hd700 from Sennheiser last year black friday at $460 (tax included) 
smile.gif

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #4,424 of 9,298

Congrats on getting the HD700.
From my (recent) experience, there is a very noticeable change in sound during burn in. I have never experienced a headphone changing its sound signature as dramatically as the HD700's did during its first 20 hours. Mids will get much better and soundstage will open up as well.

Enjoy!:L3000:

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #4,425 of 9,298

No…haven’t relinquished my 700s but did just replace my HD598s, which sat sitting in the box as I need a closed pair once in a while and picked up a pair of AKG K550s.
Totally different sound signature to the Senns, a nice compliment but in a very different way, thought they might be closer to the K712s but no, instead they offer a different perspective on the music, better clearly defined highs, image focus and deep extended base..... once you find the sweet spot for adjustments and ......descent sound stage width and air for a closed back pair.
Which brings me to an important point, seeing how the 700s are able to produce adequate bass as an open back phone, the AKGs, K550s and the K712s, the K550s even more so, are totally dependent on proper pad/placement, as without proper sealing they lose most if not all their base extension and impact...Senn produce better full range drivers?
Having said that the K550s or even the new K553s do offer a nice alternative to the 700s when a bit of isolation from surrounding noise (household teen
basshead.gif
) or from irritating those around us.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back