Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #4,382 of 9,326

Weird question: would it be possible to compare the 700 in terms of "hotness" to the Senn and Beyer products one level down? Specifically, the 650 and T90?

Unfortunately I really don't want to comment super specifically as that would really require me to have the T90 and HD650 on hand. I've only briefly heard the T90 and owned the HD650 a long time ago. I'm sure someone can at least chime in on the HD650

The HD-700 has more treble energy than the HD-650 ... by a long, country mile IMO, if that's what you mean by "hotness". With the HD-650s you will experiences more upper-bass "bloom" and warm mids, which give the 650s that silky sound with things like female vocals. Conversely, with the HD-700s you can really absorb a lot detail from well recorded bebop (Jazz) and classical strings.

I have both sets of cans and frequently switch back-and-forth - I think they compliment each other well, but I've been listening to a lot of classical and ambient/electronica lately and, hence, have been favoring the HD-700s.

I've never heard or owned any Beyer 'phones.

Jul 6, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #4,383 of 9,326
Time to return my HD700's to warranty: you will be missed (for a week or two). In the meantime, ordered another cable from Ebay (not Cardas): here's hoping this cable isn't a clusterf*** to manage. If it isn't, the renewed cable will be useless to me

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #4,384 of 9,326
  Having both the Ember and Crack, I would go with the Ember for the HD-700, its a great pairing.

If both the same price then the Ember, more so if you have other headphones that are not high impedance since the BH Crack is only really suited for high impedance cans.

Bought the ember. Now i'm just waiting for it arrive. Hopefully it allows the HD 700 to perform at its potential!

Jul 6, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #4,385 of 9,326
  Bought the ember. Now i'm just waiting for it arrive. Hopefully it allows the HD 700 to perform at its potential!

Did you get any other tubes when you ordered?  I've just gotten some 6SN& tubes and they are ok but I'm still liking my 12AX7 Mullard and 12AU7 Telefunken

Jul 6, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #4,386 of 9,326

The HD-700 has more treble energy than the HD-650 ... by a long, country mile IMO, if that's what you mean by "hotness". With the HD-650s you will experiences more upper-bass "bloom" and warm mids, which give the 650s that silky sound with things like female vocals. Conversely, with the HD-700s you can really absorb a lot detail from well recorded bebop (Jazz) and classical strings.

I have both sets of cans and frequently switch back-and-forth - I think they compliment each other well, but I've been listening to a lot of classical and ambient/electronica lately and, hence, have been favoring the HD-700s.

I've never heard or owned any Beyer 'phones.

My thing is I listen to "loud" genres (rock, metal, some rap) and if the treble is too bright it can get shrill at higher volumes, which is a concern. It's a problem I had with the HD600s and a reason I bounced up to the 650s.

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #4,388 of 9,326

My thing is I listen to "loud" genres (rock, metal, some rap) and if the treble is too bright it can get shrill at higher volumes, which is a concern. It's a problem I had with the HD600s and a reason I bounced up to the 650s.

So, are you not happy with the HD-650s?

For me, the 650s excel with (some) rock, (some) metal and rap (I like how they perform with rap/hip-hop bass).

Jul 7, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #4,389 of 9,326

So, are you not happy with the HD-650s?

For me, the 650s excel with (some) rock, (some) metal and rap (I like how they perform with rap/hip-hop bass).

I love 'em, actually, but I admit I feel like they could just be... more? Like one of the biggest strengths of the 650's is that they're a jack of all trades but, well, I have my musical tastes so I wouldn't mind a set that's suited toward it a bit more. I do like my X2's but they just don't have that crystalline sound I'm looking for. I lack the ability to test headphones but it seems the HD700 and T90 are the ones I'm drifting toward. 

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #4,390 of 9,326

I love 'em, actually, but I admit I feel like they could just be... more? Like one of the biggest strengths of the 650's is that they're a jack of all trades but, well, I have my musical tastes so I wouldn't mind a set that's suited toward it a bit more. I do like my X2's but they just don't have that crystalline sound I'm looking for. I lack the ability to test headphones but it seems the HD700 and T90 are the ones I'm drifting toward. 

Both the T90 and HD700 are great. I actually sold my T90 and kept the HD700 though.

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #4,392 of 9,326
Can't speak for the T90 but the HD700 is a lot more edgy compared to the HD650. In fact, I'll say that they're almost opposites if not for the slightly emphasised bass on the HD700. Where the HD650 sounds smooth (making it appealing to fans of rock) the HD700 is a lot more crisp: this makes it a wonder (IMO) for vocals and instruments, and less so for electronic and other stuff with a very thin texture.

Jul 7, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #4,393 of 9,326

Did you consider a DT-990?  I like it for certain genre like rock and they do better than my HD-700 in that regard.  How they sound is amp dependent IMO, best pairing that I have found is with a BH Crack.  I also have a HD-650 and its not like either the HD-700 or DT-990, much clearer and more treble energy.  Another headphone that you might look into is a HE-400i, a little more of the crystalline sound that I think you are looking for, again this will need a good matching amp like a Project Ember or Lyr2

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #4,394 of 9,326

........ which give the 650s that silky sound with things like female vocals. Conversely, with the HD-700s you can really absorb a lot detail from well recorded bebop (Jazz) and classical strings.

........ Where the HD650 sounds smooth (making it appealing to fans of rock) the HD700 is a lot more crisp: this makes it a wonder (IMO) for vocals and instruments, and less so for electronic and other stuff with a very thin texture.

Interesting, the above two comparisons of the HD650 and HD700 are almost in complete contradiction.  Amazing how we all hear things differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back