Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 3, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #4,366 of 9,326
What's the deal with Sennheiser  never putting the 800s on sale? What's up with that.  The brand is discounted all thru out its other lines except this one item.  Do they use moon dust and other unobtainium in making it?  Why haven't other manufacturers made a very  similar headphone? piss moan bitch  etc. etc. I guess I will sell my other headphones, some of my tubes, moan bitch etc. what you want my pens also! say it ain't so.....cry.. wee...sob ..wretch ..etc

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #4,367 of 9,326
  What's the deal with Sennheiser  never putting the 800s on sale? What's up with that.  ..............

They have been on sale periodically, picked up a pair last year here in Toronto from Bay Bloor Radio, they had them on sale at $1069 (reg $1599.) Canadian or $850 US…. plus keep on eye on Amazon’s warehouse deals, had them in my cart for $833 Canadian/ $665 US.

But IMHO the HD700s still come across as the overall better, more musically enjoyable and satisfying phone.

Just came across this “Sennheiser HD700 versus HD800 - Comparison review 2014” ..........which mirrors my own observations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJCxZfhePk0

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #4,368 of 9,326
Hi guys, i've just received my HD 700s today and I must say they're quite nice. However one issue is that when pairing with my Aune T1, it is kinda sibilant. Do any of you guys have any idea how to go about fixing this? Thank you!

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #4,369 of 9,326

Did you just use "that BASS" in reference to the HD600? 
confused.gif

Naw, it was ust in general.  

In the 600 thread - "of course."  they are saying the 700s are to strident, too hot up top.  

I'll be using the GS-X mk2  which is a neutral amp.  So I guess if I like the 800s I should like the 700s as well.

Well as with anything, I'll have to get a pair and see for myself.   

Another question:

Are you guys applying any mods or are you using these stock?

Heyoo Prepro! Long time no see! 

I've got the HD800s and HD700s both. The HD700 are (IMO) quite notably hotter than the HD800, so if you're using that as a treble reference, that may not be a good one. I would put the HD700 somewhere between the HD800 and T1 in terms of treble energy. Quite a bit more, but not as bright as the T1.

Jul 3, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #4,370 of 9,326
Hi guys, i've just received my HD 700s today and I must say they're quite nice. However one issue is that when pairing with my Aune T1, it is kinda sibilant. Do any of you guys have any idea how to go about fixing this? Thank you!

A higher quality source and amp would do it. Unfortunately, a grainy treble is common for low cost electronics.

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #4,371 of 9,326

I've got the HD800s and HD700s both. The HD700 are (IMO) quite notably hotter than the HD800, so if you're using that as a treble reference, that may not be a good one. I would put the HD700 somewhere between the HD800 and T1 in terms of treble energy. Quite a bit more, but not as bright as the T1.

Weird question: would it be possible to compare the 700 in terms of "hotness" to the Senn and Beyer products one level down? Specifically, the 650 and T90?

Jul 3, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #4,372 of 9,326

Weird question: would it be possible to compare the 700 in terms of "hotness" to the Senn and Beyer products one level down? Specifically, the 650 and T90?

Unfortunately I really don't want to comment super specifically as that would really require me to have the T90 and HD650 on hand. I've only briefly heard the T90 and owned the HD650 a long time ago. I'm sure someone can at least chime in on the HD650

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #4,373 of 9,326

Yes use a decent tube amp and roll in British tubes.  In all seriousness a tube amp will help, what tube to use is another discussion.  I noted that someone suggested a higher quality source and a good CD player with a known warm side and or a tubed output section.  

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #4,374 of 9,326
I have a SinglePower MPX3 all tubed and cabled up. And recabled the HD700's , with all the gear tweaked to the 9's. I have them dialed in.

Jul 4, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #4,376 of 9,326

I'm using a Aune T1mk2 as my main source at the office and found that it is very much dependent on the tubes used. I personally never liked the included 6922 tube with any of my headphones and quickly switched to a Mullard. However, since this worked for all my headphones except the HD700 (a lot of sibilance), I switched to a gold pin Spezial (off-brand Tesla, I think) that eliminates the sibilance completely, but also reduced the sound stage. I haven't had the time to go through my other T1-compatible tubes yet, but probably will do some more testing early monday morning CET. I'll post here if I find a nice tube for the T1 / HD700 combo.

That said, while the T1 offers amazing value, there is only so much you can expect from a DAC/amp combo at its price level. The T1's tube DAC is pretty decent, I think, but the build-in solid state amplifier is nothing special.

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #4,377 of 9,326
  If you guys had a choice of getting a project ember or a bottlehead crack with speedball DIY kit for the same price, what would you get?

I would opt for the Crack which is all tube vs the Ember which is Hybrid tube and SS.  That is not a value judgement on the Ember which has a very loyal following, it is just what I would prefer in this one particular situation with the perceived treble issues/sibilance with the HD  700s.  I can't say if doing all this just to use these headphones is a good overall approach to buying an amp.

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #4,378 of 9,326
  If you guys had a choice of getting a project ember or a bottlehead crack with speedball DIY kit for the same price, what would you get?

Having both the Ember and Crack, I would go with the Ember for the HD-700, its a great pairing.

If both the same price then the Ember, more so if you have other headphones that are not high impedance since the BH Crack is only really suited for high impedance cans.

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #4,379 of 9,326
  I'm using a Aune T1mk2 as my main source at the office and found that it is very much dependent on the tubes used. I personally never liked the included 6922 tube with any of my headphones and quickly switched to a Mullard. However, since this worked for all my headphones except the HD700 (a lot of sibilance), I switched to a gold pin Spezial (off-brand Tesla, I think) that eliminates the sibilance completely, but also reduced the sound stage. I haven't had the time to go through my other T1-compatible tubes yet, but probably will do some more testing early monday morning CET. I'll post here if I find a nice tube for the T1 / HD700 combo.

That said, while the T1 offers amazing value, there is only so much you can expect from a DAC/amp combo at its price level. The T1's tube DAC is pretty decent, I think, but the build-in solid state amplifier is nothing special.

Awesome! Thank you for taking time out to help me!

I would opt for the Crack which is all tube vs the Ember which is Hybrid tube and SS.  That is not a value judgement on the Ember which has a very loyal following, it is just what I would prefer in this one particular situation with the perceived treble issues/sibilance with the HD  700s.  I can't say if doing all this just to use these headphones is a good overall approach to buying an amp.

Hmm, in this case would you recommend getting another headphone instead? Well i was thinking that since both of those amps are pretty good amps, i wouldn't lose out even if i eventually upgrade to other headphones. 
  Having both the Ember and Crack, I would go with the Ember for the HD-700, its a great pairing.

If both the same price then the Ember, more so if you have other headphones that are not high impedance since the BH Crack is only really suited for high impedance cans.

Yeah i've read about the impedance issue when piaring the hd 700 to the bottlehead crack, so i might look into the ember. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back