Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #4,351 of 9,326
Do you guys feel the 700s are an upgrade in SQ over the 600s?  If so in what ways?  Tonal balance, instrument timbre, midrange vocals, high hat crashes and of course that BASS?  

All of the above.

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #4,355 of 9,326
  Do you guys feel the 700s are an upgrade in SQ over the 600s?  If so in what ways?  Tonal balance, instrument timbre, midrange vocals, high hat crashes and of course that BASS?  

Did you just use "that BASS" in reference to the HD600? 
confused.gif

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #4,358 of 9,326

To quote myself.....

Can’t speak for the 650s but my 580\600s just sounded technologically dated, the HD700s were/are a breath of fresh air, IMHO sound staging, speed, dynamics, better extension at both ends of the spectrum and clarity is greatly improved over the former...Sennheiser’s R&D putting in a lot of effort into successfully integrating the new driver, baffle and ear cup design…not to mention the comfort.
Nothing wrong with the HD600 series…but having lived both for 6 months running balanced off a Bryston BHA-1 the 700s eventually won over as my preferred can with all genres of music, also later picked up the HD800s (too analytical) and AKG K712s (less focused)….those are also gone..

But like always it still comes down to personal preferences…mine just happen to favor the HD700s.
smile_phones.gif

Should mention I had my HD580/600 for over a decade prior to picking up the 700s.

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #4,359 of 9,326

The first tube upgrade you might want to take is to use E88CCs or 6922s.  As a very wide rule they are considerably better in most any criteria you may be looking at.  My favorite is treble bright to despite it's being manufactured by Mullard it's not going to help you there.  The tube I like is a Mullard 2493.  There is a Mullard 2492 which may suit you better but I can't say as I have not used it. 
I was able to buy an  aftermarket cable from eBay but found despite it's ergonomic benefit it had mediocre sonics and I went back to the stock cable.  Different, does not mean better in all cases .  I throw this in because of the idea that anything but stock is somehow always better.  IME it really does not, but if you search eBay you'll find it and others.

Thanks for the tip. I bought a whole bunch of tubes when I first got my Lyr 2 and T1, but stopped rolling when I found a tube a liked. I still have a bunch of 6922's E88CC's and various versions of the 6N1P left to try. I have only briefly used the 700's with my Little Dot mk3. Again, the same story

Quote:
  If your not an anti-cable person, this one is quite an improvement sonically and aesthetically.

http://r.ebay.com/DBLNEU

Not an anti-cable person at all (within reason). Al my headphones with a replaceable cable have had a cable upgrade (usually silver or silver plated).
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, including import taxes and shipping the cable would end up costing around $375 - $400, which is a bit too steep for me at the moment.
I did buy this cable as 2 meter version. I expect this cable to perform a bit less than the stock cable, but at least this allows me to use the 700's with my X5/E12 combo without lugging around 3 meters of cable and a heavy 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.
smily_headphones1.gif

I might look into the cable you suggested in a couple of months.

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #4,360 of 9,326

Did you just use "that BASS" in reference to the HD600? 
confused.gif

Naw, it was ust in general.  

In the 600 thread - "of course."  they are saying the 700s are to strident, too hot up top.  

I'll be using the GS-X mk2  which is a neutral amp.  So I guess if I like the 800s I should like the 700s as well.

Well as with anything, I'll have to get a pair and see for myself.   

Another question:

Are you guys applying any mods or are you using these stock?

Jul 3, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #4,361 of 9,326
Just put the black HD700 up for sale. I'll probably regret it, but I have that itch to try new things... so they've gotta go. I may be back if I can't find anything in it's price range better. It will definitely be a challenge. I'll stay subbed to this thread, because I anticipate...I'll be back.

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #4,363 of 9,326
  Just put the black HD700 up for sale. I'll probably regret it, but I have that itch to try new things... so they've gotta go. I may be back if I can't find anything in it's price range better. It will definitely be a challenge. I'll stay subbed to this thread, because I anticipate...I'll be back.

.......Whats next?

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #4,364 of 9,326

For what it's worth, since I've owned the HD700's I've had the following headphones in my system and they're all gone now:

Audeze LCD -X
HiFi Man 560
Fostex TH 900
Oppo PM-1

Jul 3, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #4,365 of 9,326
Naw, it was ust in general.  

In the 600 thread - "of course."  they are saying the 700s are to strident, too hot up top.  

I'll be using the GS-X mk2  which is a neutral amp.  So I guess if I like the 800s I should like the 700s as well.

Well as with anything, I'll have to get a pair and see for myself.   

Another question:

Are you guys applying any mods or are you using these stock?

If the 800 treble doesn't bother you, the 700 should be fine as it's overall a warmer sounding phone. I've had the 800's twice and they were just too thin over the long haul.

Regarding the 600's (which I used for a few years) the 700 has more treble energy but it's grain free while the 600 is grainy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back