Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #4,321 of 9,320
And now I want to try the Ember... That's what I get for going back to headfi after a while ...

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #4,323 of 9,320
  If you can keep both they make great complimentary headphones IMO.  I'm one that keeps many headphone and enjoy their sonic differences and don't say that any headphone is better sounding than another. 
The HD-700 is easier to drive than HD-600/650/800.  IMO they sound best with Ember.

Haha well I do have the 600s as well. I gotta start trimming down, though, can't have the 600/650/700 all. At least not until I get a better job. Or a job.

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #4,324 of 9,320
Crap, my luck with headphones is really going downhill. My cable all of a sudden decided to be dumb and short in the middle whenever I touch a section of it. No exterior damage to it at all. Damn shame.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #4,325 of 9,320
  Crap, my luck with headphones is really going downhill. My cable all of a sudden decided to be dumb and short in the middle whenever I touch a section of it. No exterior damage to it at all. Damn shame.

To be honest, the stock cable is a real POS. It may be silver plated, but the wire is like 30awg. Nothing that screams quality to me.

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #4,326 of 9,320
  To be honest, the stock cable is a real POS. It may be silver plated, but the wire is like 30awg. Nothing that screams quality to me.

Thought so. Damn shame: after I get these cables replaced, I think I'm gonna buy a random replacement. Any cheap yet reasonable suggestions?

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #4,327 of 9,320
  Thought so. Damn shame: after I get these cables replaced, I think I'm gonna buy a random replacement. Any cheap yet reasonable suggestions?

Have you tried flea bay?, I got one last year before I started building my own since I wanted one that was shorter for my bedroom.  Also, the original cable was also kinking all the time.

Jun 30, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #4,329 of 9,320
I am really enjoying my HD700 paired with the TEAC HA 501. This is my first desktop amp and hence I am not in a position to compare it with any other amp. But I feel the amp pairs really well with the HD 700. The sound output is neutral which is just the way I like it. Supposed to be half an hour listening sesssions usually stretch to 4-5 hours of pure bliss. These are without doubt the most comfortable headphones I have ever used.
Right now I am using the Fiio x3 as the USB DAC. How much difference would a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100 make? There is an offer where I can get a brand new one at approximately $250( usually costs $375+ in our country once shipping and duties are added). I am definitely tempted but just wanted to get your inputs on whether it will be a significant improvement over the X3's DAC?

Jun 30, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #4,330 of 9,320
I am really enjoying my HD700 paired with the TEAC HA 501. This is my first desktop amp and hence I am not in a position to compare it with any other amp. But I feel the amp pairs really well with the HD 700. The sound output is neutral which is just the way I like it. Supposed to be half an hour listening sesssions usually stretch to 4-5 hours of pure bliss. These are without doubt the most comfortable headphones I have ever used.
Right now I am using the Fiio x3 as the USB DAC. How much difference would a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100 make? There is an offer where I can get a brand new one at approximately $250( usually costs $375+ in our country once shipping and duties are added). I am definitely tempted but just wanted to get your inputs on whether it will be a significant improvement over the X3's DAC?

I've been using the X3 line out to my Ember or BH Crack once in a while and its pretty good.  If I compare it to the UD-301 there is a very very slight change in the dynamics, the bass is a tiny touch lower and the highs slightly more extended, not easy to notice and if I informal blind test I'm only 60% correct.  Never heard a DAC Magic so I don't know if it would make a significant improvement. 

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #4,331 of 9,320
While I don't personally miss the sound, I really miss the comfort of the 700. The 800's pads are too thin, and the earcups are gigantic. If there's ever a great sale I'll have to get another one. I think I preferred the 700 for movies/tv and gaming. Was binge watching Star Trek and the side of my head got sore from the 800. Have never worn a headphone more comfortable than the 700 yet. 

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #4,333 of 9,320
  While I don't personally miss the sound, I really miss the comfort of the 700. The 800's pads are too thin, and the earcups are gigantic. If there's ever a great sale I'll have to get another one. I think I preferred the 700 for movies/tv and gaming. Was binge watching Star Trek and the side of my head got sore from the 800. Have never worn a headphone more comfortable than the 700 yet. 

I love the HD-700 with movies and yes it is really comfortable, much better than the HD-800 IMO.

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #4,334 of 9,320

Hi Dazzerfong

Mine did the same thing, if it's within the 2 year warranty Sennheiser will replace it, they did with mine even though I had terminated it with a 4 pin XLR, they sent me a new cable and returned my Neutrik XLR.
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #4,335 of 9,320

I've been using the X3 line out to my Ember or BH Crack once in a while and its pretty good.  If I compare it to the UD-301 there is a very very slight change in the dynamics, the bass is a tiny touch lower and the highs slightly more extended, not easy to notice and if I informal blind test I'm only 60% correct.  Never heard a DAC Magic so I don't know if it would make a significant improvement. 

Thank you DavidA for your valuable inputs. Still on the fence about the DAC Magic. The price is very tempting. Will wait for a day and then decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back