Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #4,396 of 9,326
Looking to possibly upgrade from my AD700. Still enjoy using it, could use a bit more bass so how would the HD700 compare? And if I went for it I think I'd prefer a DAC/AMP combo to make things easier for me hooked up to my computer, read somewhere someone recommended a Aune T1 MK2 to someone. Would use it as pretty much an all arounder, Youtube, Movies, Anime, Gaming, Podcasts, Rock, Indie, Electronic etc. Comfort is a must also.

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #4,397 of 9,326

Interesting, the above two comparisons of the HD650 and HD700 are almost in complete contradiction.  Amazing how we all hear things differently.

The HD600 series do have a somewhat overall tonal signature, leaning toward smooth and warm…the HD700s IMHO are much more chameleon (neutral) in nature, a bright clear recording will sound crispier in comparison but I’ve also have some recordings where the 700s will sound, warm, lush and full bodied…and highs can sound silky smooth if it’s recorded as such. : )

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #4,398 of 9,326
I reckon the HD700 is terrible with EDM because it's too 'raw' for it: it borders on harshness if I listen to EDM with it.

Jul 7, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #4,399 of 9,326
I reckon the HD700 is terrible with EDM because it's too 'raw' for it: it borders on harshness if I listen to EDM with it.

Well, IMO, it depends on your amp. I would agree with you, somewhat, using my SS amp. But with my OTL + good tubes, I think the HD-700s are wonderful with electronica. I know you said EDM, and I only listen to a little bit of EDM, as opposed to darker electronic stuff (e.g. Ben Frost, newer Steve Roach).

But as @donlin says, we all hear different things and have our own preferences. 
L3000.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #4,400 of 9,326
Well, IMO, it depends on your amp. I would agree with you, somewhat, using my SS amp. But with my OTL + good tubes, I think the HD-700s are wonderful with electronica. I know you said EDM, and I only listen to a little bit of EDM, as opposed to darker electronic stuff (e.g. Ben Frost, newer Steve Roach).

But as @donlin
 says, we all hear different things and have our own preferences. :L3000:

Perhaps, but IMO using tubes for the HD700 acts as a bandaid for it. I just use more 'fun' cans for EDM.

And agreed, everyone hears things differently.

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #4,401 of 9,326

But as @donlin says, we all hear different things and have our own preferences. 
L3000.gif

Have to agree with you on using a tube amp to tame the treble of the HD-700 but I found that the Ember does a better job than my BH Crack, think it has something to do with the lower impedance of the HD-700 not pairing as well with the Crack.

Jul 9, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #4,402 of 9,326

Awesome! Thank you for taking time out to help me!

Sorry, it took a bit longer than expected: I was caught with a bad case of the flu

I rolled 10 tubes early this morning on the T1 mk2 and ultimately ended up with a Reflector Corp 6H23p-EB.
The sibilance completely disappears, while leaving a very detailed, airy and natural sound. There is still some of the tube warmth, but it no longer feels as if something is subtracted from the sound (like was the case with the Spezial / Tesla). For me, this is by far the best tube I've found for a T1 / HD 700 combo.

There is currently an auction on eBay for them. The seller still has two left and they seem to be selling pretty quick.

Jul 10, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #4,407 of 9,326
Hello guys 
smile.gif

After lots of searching and raising my budget I finally came to two amps which are :

Valhalla 2 --- $349
Lyr 2 ----- $ 449

Now while I'm listening the HD 700 with my current dac which is a x-fi Titanium HD I found the treble very harsh when the 8k is at 0.0dB (without turning on the equalizer). So I was looking for a amp which can tame the treble, sound a little bit warmer, smooth, focused bass and bring the low frequency instruments to front. I was about to order the Valhalla 2 but a person on youtube said that valhalla 2 is not a upgrade from Xonar STX sound card. I've never listen the V2 or STX but I think there's no big difference between my Titanium HD and STX in term of musicality. So Now I'm confused. I can get the Lyr2 but I don't have the opportunity to try both from schiit as I live in a different country so it's a one shot situation. Please help me to select the right amp for me.

BTW, to tame the treble and enjoy the music from my perspective, I had to set my sound card's equalizer like this
smile.gif
. Specially while listening to techno, rock and instrumental tracks. Without the equalizer, the HD 700 sounds so laid back, unpleasant. But my HD 558 sounds awesome without any equalization. Don't know why
confused_face.gif

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #4,408 of 9,326
Hello guys :smile:

After lots of searching and raising my budget I finally came to two amps which are :

Valhalla 2 --- $349
Lyr 2 ----- $ 449

Now while I'm listening the HD 700 with my current dac which is a x-fi Titanium HD I found the treble very harsh when the 8k is at 0.0dB (without turning on the equalizer). So I was looking for a amp which can tame the treble, sound a little bit warmer, smooth, focused bass and bring the low frequency instruments to front. I was about to order the Valhalla 2 but a person on youtube said that valhalla 2 is not a upgrade from Xonar STX sound card. I've never listen the V2 or STX but I think there's no big difference between my Titanium HD and STX in term of musicality. So Now I'm confused. I can get the Lyr2 but I don't have the opportunity to try both from schiit as I live in a different country so it's a one shot situation. Please help me to select the right amp for me.

BTW, to tame the treble and enjoy the music from my perspective, I had to set my sound card's equalizer like this :smile: . Specially while listening to techno, rock and instrumental tracks. Without the equalizer, the HD 700 sounds so laid back, unpleasant. But my HD 558 sounds awesome without any equalization. Don't know why :confused_face:

It's hard to know where to begin with a post like this but first, trying to get a clear picture of which amp sounds best by listening to YouTube, etc. will always lead to confusion. Peoples' opinions are all over the place with many who claim there are no meaningful differences between amps and dacs, even on Head-Fi. Unfortunately finding out which products you like is an ongoing learning process of trial and error that goes on for a long time. Hearing for yourself is really the only way.
Regarding why the HD700 doesn't sound as good as your 558, it's simply because the HD700 is designed to be very revealing of whatever it's being fed so it is showing up the shortcomings of your amp and dac. The 558 is less resolving, so hides the shortcomings more.

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #4,409 of 9,326
It's hard to know where to begin with a post like this but first, ........................
Regarding why the HD700 doesn't sound as good as your 558, it's simply because the HD700 is designed to be very revealing of whatever it's being fed so it is showing up the shortcomings of your amp and dac. The 558 is less resolving, so hides the shortcomings more.

Yep…my Hd598s sound great direct off my iMac..the HD700s so so…roles reverse running off my Bryston BCD-1 and BHA-1…mind you the 598s do improve with the Brystons..but the 700s even more so.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back