Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #4,426 of 9,326
........... I have never experienced a headphone changing its sound signature as dramatically as the HD700's did during its first 20 hours. Mids will get much better and soundstage will open up as well.

Enjoy!
L3000.gif

+ 1

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #4,427 of 9,326
I was impressed with them right away, but grew to like the more.  I have kXXs that are very different, I expected to use them intermittently as a change of pace.  That change of pace hasn't happened  in over a month.  Not sure I will keep the KXXs.  I was hoping to get a different sound from them-but that is another story.

Jul 13, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #4,429 of 9,326
  Of course right after I get mine it gets on Massdrop for $479.99, ah well.
rolleyes.gif
I'm fine paying a little more cause I wanted it now!

Agreed. I paid $750 just a few months ago. But I deem them worthy anyhow.

Originally Posted by Xerber 

........... I have never experienced a headphone changing its sound signature as dramatically as the HD700's did during its first 20 hours. Mids will get much better and soundstage will open up as well.

Enjoy!
L3000.gif

+1. The treble spike has all but disappeared, and the bass sounds like it has better quantity (to me). I would say that this could be brain burn-in, but I listen to 3 or 4 different headphones on a daily basis, that have totally different sound signatures, so I would consider that "cleansing my palette", so to speak. Or maybe its just my ears getting worse. LOL

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #4,430 of 9,326
Congrats on getting the HD700.
From my (recent) experience, there is a very noticeable change in sound during burn in. I have never experienced a headphone changing its sound signature as dramatically as the HD700's did during its first 20 hours. Mids will get much better and soundstage will open up as well.

Enjoy!
L3000.gif

I didn't believe in burn-in until I got my EL8-open, there was a transformation from dark to warm/neutral over a 200+ hour period.  The HD-700 didn't seem to change for me but I didn't use it all the time and was switching between the HE-560, HD-700, RS2e and LCD-2f over a few months so I don't think I would have noticed it where the EL8 was used while I was on a trip so it was something I noticed over the course of 2 weeks.

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #4,431 of 9,326
At $480 there really shouldn't be any reason not to get the HD700. Everyone should have a taste if it's within your budget. I'm glad that there's so many deals on the HD700 and the $500 price range seems like the norm now. At this price, it performs VERY competitively.

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #4,432 of 9,326
At $480 there really shouldn't be any reason not to get the HD700. Everyone should have a taste if it's within your budget. I'm glad that there's so many deals on the HD700 and the $500 price range seems like the norm now. At this price, it performs VERY competitively.

Agreed. I don't think anyone ever claimed it could compete with the HD800, flagship models from other manufacturers, etc. I had a chance to compare the HD700 and HD800 at a Sennheiser concept store here before purchasing, and while head to head I could definitely agree the 800s are superior, I couldn't agree it was at a price/performance ratio that made sense to me (eg almost 3 times the deal price I paid for the 700)

If you're a serious endgame enthusiast, this isn't for you. Anyone else who wants great performance for a decent price (considering how often there's offers on this), the 700s ain't bad at all.

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #4,433 of 9,326
I joined the club and ordered a set from Amazon. Even though they are like $70 more than Massdrop is not an issue to me. I'll have them tomorrow and I'll report back then.

Jul 14, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #4,435 of 9,326
Yeah, next day shipping for $5.99 with Prime. I love that service!

Jul 14, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #4,436 of 9,326
  I joined the club and ordered a set from Amazon. Even though they are like $70 more than Massdrop is not an issue to me. I'll have them tomorrow and I'll report back then.

I'm with you, MassDrop takes a month or so to ship to Hawaii where Amazon Prime gets it to me in 2-3 days tops.  Also, when I got mine they were $528 and no shipping cost so it wasn't that much more.

Jul 14, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #4,437 of 9,326
Agreed. I don't think anyone ever claimed it could compete with the HD800, flagship models from other manufacturers, etc. I had a chance to compare the HD700 and HD800 at a Sennheiser concept store here before purchasing, and while head to head I could definitely agree the 800s are superior, I couldn't agree it was at a price/performance ratio that made sense to me (eg almost 3 times the deal price I paid for the 700)

If you're a serious endgame enthusiast, this isn't for you. Anyone else who wants great performance for a decent price (considering how often there's offers on this), the 700s ain't bad at all.

Actually, there are a number of people who have posted here that prefer the HD700 to the HD800 and other flagships. I certainly do.

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #4,438 of 9,326
Actually, there are a number of people who have posted here that prefer the HD700 to the HD800 and other flagships. I certainly do.

+1 here

Thing to keep in mind is that the 700s do diverge from what most are accustomed to when listening to headphones, as the sound stage is very linear and more proportionately correct than most, more akin like listening near field to a pair of “high end” monitors, not as analytical/clinical as the HD800s, which IMHO is a good thing as it helps maintain that illusion.
The HD800s with their slightly greater expansive sound field does not gel with the amount of detail they portray as the distance of the instrumentation, performers is never that clearly defined in real life and IMO therefore, maybe fun but unnatural and in the long-run psycho-acoustically distracting from overall musical enjoyment.

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #4,439 of 9,326

Haha, well I only speak for myself then :) But basically I think these cans get way more flak than they deserve, I'd recommend it to others all day (except for those endgame-obsessed 5%) :p

Jul 14, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #4,440 of 9,326
Haha, well I only speak for myself then
smily_headphones1.gif
But basically I think these cans get way more flak than they deserve, I'd recommend it to others all day (except for those endgame-obsessed 5%)
tongue.gif

I know I almost NEVER see people recommending them. The 600/650's have people on either side of the debate and then there's the 800 as the flagship, but it's like the 700 sits in this weird limbo, like the prevailing attitude is "the 650's are amazing for the price and if you want to upgrade save up for the 800s." They weren't even on my radar at all until very recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back