Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #4,441 of 9,326
As I read reviews I did see something come up a lot, and that was the price. As most of the reviews I found were shortly after these came out I noticed a lot said things like it may not be worth the price. But at half that I felt like it would be well worth it. My Aune T1 finally comes in today!

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #4,442 of 9,326
  As I read reviews I did see something come up a lot, and that was the price. As most of the reviews I found were shortly after these came out I noticed a lot said things like it may not be worth the price. But at half that I felt like it would be well worth it. My Aune T1 finally comes in today!

Nice! My project ember just came in, and i'm pairing it with my aune T1 as a dac. 

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #4,443 of 9,326
Oh hey look, another HD700 hate thread over at /r/headphones...

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3d4jxb/hd700_group_buy_available_again/

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #4,444 of 9,326
  Oh hey look, another HD700 hate thread over at /r/headphones...

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3d4jxb/hd700_group_buy_available_again/

Now what gave you that impression..
rolleyes.gif

Having more bass emphasis does not make the headphone warm if it's cold as a frozen **** on the high freqs. Edit: imho one of the worst price to performance HPs out there”

“I bet a freshly laid turd would be comfortable as well, but you wouldn't put THAT on your head, would you?’

“Ah yes. I should add this one to my own personal list of "headphones that should come with warning labels", joining the likes of the DT990, MDR-V6, and some Grados.”

“They're the king of harshness.”

“They're super bright to the point of being harsh.”

“I assume ear pain with the Senns?”

“Big treble spikes.”

“It's NOT worth it. The HD 700 is considered one of the worst Senn sets”

“It's the only way Sennheiser can sell them and a great way to spread misery. If you're wondering whether they are worth it then just look at the killer treble spikes.

Looks like they have an aversion to Massdrop also....oh well.

Never trust Massdrop. It's a **** company with crappy deals that take forever to fill and often are cheaper elsewhere.”

Jul 14, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #4,447 of 9,326
I feel like most of the people who ever say anything bad about the HD700 have never heard them, they only read reviews of people who were biased before hearing them. Whoever started that really made a lot of people miss out on a great headphone.

I must say initially when I got them, the sibilance is kinda unbearable. However after some time and a new amp,they really start to shine.

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #4,448 of 9,326
I must say initially when I got them, the sibilance is kinda unbearable. However after some time and a new amp,they really start to shine.

They definitely don't hide the weaknesses of cheap electronics. 

Jul 14, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #4,449 of 9,326
The HD-700 is a great headphone but it needs an amp that pairs well with it.  When I first got them I was using my Bifrost/Asgard2 stack and like most I found the highs to be a little harsh.  When I got the Ember it was a whole different headphone and also the Lyr2 depending on the tubes also can be a great pairing.

Jul 14, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #4,450 of 9,326
What is kind of surprising is the intensity of emotion that some people bring to bear on what should be just a discussion about a headphone.  I hate to say it but it appears that there is childishness that pokes through some of these posts. Look no one said you have to like every product you run into, I don't care for certain Grado headphones, but I am not going to insist that if you like them, there is something objectively wrong with you.  I am sure you get my drift.
A couple of meaningful criticisms are worth talking about.  The impression of over emphasized treble.  II noticed this myself even with all tube amplification but it seems to have dissipated.  Could that mean that the 700s break in?  The other I just mentioned, which is that they sound very good with tube amps.

Jul 14, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #4,451 of 9,326
I'm warming up the ol' credit card for Amazon Hype Day and I'm looking for deals on either Fidelio X2 or HD700.

X2 is normally $299 and HD700 has been trending down to $500 lately (I know about the Massdrop $480 deal). I haven't heard X2 but based on comparisons with HD6x0 I've read, it's very interesting. Innerfidelity review makes it sound like HD600 for the modern age. I've briefly heard the 700 at Best Buy. I really liked its fit and "authoritative" sound. I was listening with (too) loud volume to overcome the background noise in the store and had some reservations about the much maligned top end (Fogerty yodeling on some CCR track).

I currently have HD598 and I'm starting to get annoyed by its limitations. Especially after hearing HD700. I'm after more resolution and better bass.

Any advise, considering X2 is about half the price? Oh, and I'm not at all adverse to EQ. I have Magni/Modi 2 Uber stack hooked up to a PiCorePlayer (and also a Fiio E07K), not very interested in changing that chain. I might get around to building a Bottlehead Crack to enhance the Mad Scientist vibe in my living room, but you won't find me in a tube rolling thread. I'd rather use predictable EQ.

Jul 14, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #4,455 of 9,326
I just got my HD700 in the mail and I don't understand all the hate on these. Sure they are overpriced at $1,000, but for $550 they are incredible. These aren't all the bright to me ears. If anything they are pretty smooth, but the treble spike does show up on some of my stuff (Children of Bodem, Lonely Island). Their soundstage is bigger than my HD600, but not by a lot.

They are a big step up over my HD600, DT990, X2, and K7XX, but they do not want to make em sell my other phones. They all have their strengths/weaknesses, and I enjoy them all. Are they on par with my T1?No but are close to being on par. These are pretty versatile but I do feel that slight treble spike can be an issue for some people, but to me it's not that noticeable.

More later once I get more listening in. Right now I am driving them on my Auditor, and they sound superb and the Auditor drives them with incredible authority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back