Searching for headphones with good bass.
Jun 17, 2012 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

AudioWave

New Head-Fier
Hello

I'm wondering what headphones to buy.

My budget is £300 ($470)

They will be used on my PC with a Asus Xonar Essence STX  Soundcard

I listen to Rap/Hiphop/Dubstep/Drum and bass

I like bass but not muddy bass i like punchy bass not a headphone where its so much bass you can hardly hear any vocals.

Any recommendations? i been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO Semi-Open Headphones 250Ω so far..

Jun 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Hello

I'm wondering what headphones to buy.

My budget is £300 ($470)

They will be used on my PC with a Asus Xonar Essence STX  Soundcard

I listen to Rap/Hiphop/Dubstep/Drum and bass

I like bass but not muddy bass i like punchy bass not a headphone where its so much bass you can hardly hear any vocals.

Any recommendations? i been looking at the Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO Semi-Open Headphones 250Ω so far..

Pretty much answered in the following thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/569569/sennheiser-hd-800-vs-grado-ps-1000/150#post_8465863

Where the majority of Head-Fiers foundthat id all you want is bass, bass, bass then you're better off just sticking to the maligned Beats by Dr Dre.

Here is a more responsive thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/614456/best-headphones-for-hip-hop-rap-for-300

The DT880 Pro isn't a bad choice, you may want to consider the DT-770 Pro which has more bass.

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 9
What about T70?

They really don't have that much bass, especially if you don't have a good seal (which is hard to get), and they're extremely bright and harsh. Not really what I'd suggest for dubstep or electronica. The DT880 aren't really bassy heapdhones either.

Some random suggestions in no particular order:

Kenwood KH-K1000
Bose QC15
Denon AH-D2000 or D5000
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9
M-Audio Q40

Those are all over the place in terms of comfort, top-end harshness, isolation, and price. The ESW9 are probably the boomiest and darkest, the K1000 are the heaviest and biggest, the QC15 are probably the most conservative, the Denon are probably the crowd favorite, the Q40 are the cheapest. You might also look at a number of Ultrasone models, like the DJ1 and DJ1Pro, HFI-2400, and PRO2900, but they will all have a common set of problems: they clamp relatively hard, S-LOGIC is weird, and they're all Ultrasones at the end of the day (which means you can expect varying degrees of weirdness in their overall FR - the 2900 is the least screwed up but ruthlessly unforgiving and can drive nails on demand - HFI-2400 is probably the more conservative choice).

None of these will be a problem with your STX.

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 9
Well... Ultrasones have been widely regarded as bass monsters, and unlike the Beats, they tend to have better quality across the spectrum.  Can't vouch for anything beyond the HFI580 though.  And it does fall on the lower end of your price range.  Personally I couldn't be happier with these.  Clamping might be a bit much though.  On the other hand I've heard that the Beyer DT770s are pretty hard to beat in comfort. 

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #8 of 9
dt770 are super comfy and have a good bass line. But I've also owned the d2k and I'd take it over the Beyer anytime. If it's in the budget the d5k is a special hp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back