Schiit Owners Unite
Jun 14, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #2,446 of 13,350
Quote:

When is it trolling? He was responding to a specific question about whether it's worth it to pay extra for cables.

This is just my two cents, but it seems like anytime someone expresses their opinion about cables on here where they're a non-believer they're automatically trolling. If they're a cable believer they're seen as sharing their experiences because cables are SO subjective nobody will tell them they're full of BS. Aren't double standards fun?

Thanks for your input Eurikan.  I agree with you on many points, but I objected for different reasons.  I have no problem with people not believing in better performance from expensive cables.  To be honest, I probably fall into that camp.  What I think was trolling was:

1) Not responding to the OP question which was about what cables someone would recommend, Not IF cables make a difference.  Although there may be (in some peoples experience) no reason for expensive interconnects, I think most of us can agree it is worth getting something that has decent build quality and at least some cosmetic appeal rather than the cheapest plastic junk money can buy.  In that spirit there is room for recommendations on some type of cable, even if it is monoprice or some other inexpensive equivalent that people like the feel and build quality of.

2) The short abrasive answer rude to the OP, especially when BLAKENEDPLAGUE's "about me" is "Back from banning with a better sense of respect."  I think this response was anything but respectful.

I agree that people overuse accusations of trollling as a dismissive rebuttal, but in my perception the post was intended to be at least a little inflammatory, 

Anyways, to get back on topic...  I love this Schiit.  The statement gear looks awesome.  I am not sure they are in the cards in the near future.  My money is going to analog gear at the moment. Maybe someday.  For the time being I couldn't be happier with my Gungir / Mojo / Lcd-2 set-up.  Whenever I get the upgrade bug I take a couple days off and when I put those headphones back on I am back to audio bliss.

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #2,447 of 13,350
I didn't mean to start a fire storm over cables. I know there are strong opinions. I think the point that to get any sound, one obviously has to connect a source to a component in some fashion makes sense.  I really just wanted to know if it was worth investing a few extra bucks into cables that are better quality than the inexpensive Target/Walmart variety.

Thanks for your responses.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #2,448 of 13,350
When is it trolling? He was responding to a specific question about whether it's worth it to pay extra for cables.

This is just my two cents, but it seems like anytime someone expresses their opinion about cables on here where they're a non-believer they're automatically trolling. If they're a cable believer they're seen as sharing their experiences because cables are SO subjective nobody will tell them they're full of BS. Aren't double standards fun?

Thanks for your input Eurikan.  I agree with you on many points, but I objected for different reasons.  I have no problem with people not believing in better performance from expensive cables.  To be honest, I probably fall into that camp.  What I think was trolling was:

1) Not responding to the OP question which was about what cables someone would recommend, Not IF cables make a difference.  Although there may be (in some peoples experience) no reason for expensive interconnects, I think most of us can agree it is worth getting something that has decent build quality and at least some cosmetic appeal rather than the cheapest plastic junk money can buy.  In that spirit there is room for recommendations on some type of cable, even if it is monoprice or some other inexpensive equivalent that people like the feel and build quality of.

2) The short abrasive answer rude to the OP, especially when BLAKENEDPLAGUE's "about me" is "Back from banning with a better sense of respect."  I think this response was anything but respectful.

I agree that people overuse accusations of trollling as a dismissive rebuttal, but in my perception the post was intended to be at least a little inflammatory, 

Anyways, to get back on topic...  I love this Schiit.  The statement gear looks awesome.  I am not sure they are in the cards in the near future.  My money is going to analog gear at the moment. Maybe someday.  For the time being I couldn't be happier with my Gungir / Mojo / Lcd-2 set-up.  Whenever I get the upgrade bug I take a couple days off and when I put those headphones back on I am back to audio bliss.

Agree with the upgraditis. In camera speak (Nikon) it is NAS. Nikon acquisition syndrome!
While it would be awesome to buy a hi-end tube amp and a GS-XII or other extreme quality amp/dac and high dollar cables etc the fact is the Mjolnir/Gungnir stack is really decent with the Audeze cans and is an awesome intermediate level to be on within the audiophile journey. Is there better equipment to be had? Of course. Is there better value per dollar spent? Very debatable but IMHO not really. All totally subjective of course as all things audiophile are. I should have waited to get the new cable to try it on the 2r2s first but I really wanted to try the LCD3s. Oh well.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #2,449 of 13,350
Lol, the Gungnir/MJ stack is more than "decent" for the LCD-2. You could call it a day there if the Audez'e is your primary headphone. The same could be said of the Bifrost/Lyr (with the right tubes) stack. The LCD-2 isn't really that demanding. The Gungnir/MJ stack may even be borderline overkill for it.

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #2,451 of 13,350
Quote:
Lol, the Gungnir/MJ stack is more than "decent" for the LCD-2. You could call it a day there if the Audez'e is your primary headphone. The same could be said of the Bifrost/Lyr (with the right tubes) stack. The LCD-2 isn't really that demanding. The Gungnir/MJ stack may even be borderline overkill for it.

I've owned all the SE Schiit gear and have stuck with the lyr/bf for over a year. Considering all the amps and dacs that I've owned the lyr/bf competes really well against everything I've. I have a friend who went from the lyr/bf to Mojo/Gungnir and says that it was a huge improvement on all his planar cans including the lcd's. Take that fwiw. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #2,452 of 13,350
Would it be considered blasphemy to run a Modi into an Asgard 2?

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #2,453 of 13,350
Quote:

Whatever is in your budget.  I ran the Mojo from a Modi for some time while I was saving up for the Gungir.  It was a big jump when I upgraded but the Modi did pretty well for what it was.

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #2,454 of 13,350
Quote:

Not at all. I think that Modi is decent. Not my favorite though. Even compared to the odac, the odac was clearly better IMO. The bifrost spanks them both. If I were looking to save money I'd go with JDS labs odac with RCA's. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #2,455 of 13,350
HE-400 are low impedance and would be a bad match with an OTL amp, such as the Valhalla.

Quote:

Thanks. Those and the DT880 600 ohms are on my short list.

Any other Bifrost/Valhalla owners who favour one of their headphones with this stack?
I'm also locking on to the Hifiman HE-400. Experiences with above combo?

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #2,459 of 13,350
Not having heard the modi, I still feel it's the right pairing with the asgard if you never plan to upgrade. The bifrost is a little much for the asgard I would say from my experience.  Meaning the asgard does not reveal all the bifrost has to offer. Save yourself some money :)

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #2,460 of 13,350
Quote:

True, I could have elaborated with

"More than likely, upgraded cables will provide little to no advantage"

In this aspect of our hobbie, there is only plausible cause for spending money on high tech interconnects with no concrete evidence beyond analog interconnects. Digital cables either work or they don't, while the the cleanliness of the signal could be a concern there is not much a digital signal will put up with before it outright quits

Users who are viewing this thread

Back