Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 24, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #78 of 13,350
As much as I love my Asgard, I think I finally found a set of cans it doesn't drive particularly well: the Fostex T50RP.  There is a certain level of "honk" that won't go away with modding the cups or eq'ing out.  I can only speculate that it comes from damping because when I drive the Fostex with my Yamaha receiver, some of the honk goes away.  The Asgard is still a nice pairing with the Fostex after modding and eq'ing, but it's not a good pairing with the stock Fostex, IMHO.

Edit: here's a post with some info on my latest setup regarding the Asgard and Fostex http://www.head-fi.org/t/529140/show-us-your-head-fi-station-at-its-current-state-no-old-pictures-please/5070#post_8250524

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #80 of 13,350
Honestly, unless you want to spend upwards of $1000, you'd be hard pressed to notice many improvements over the HRT II+ with other DACs.  That is one smoking DAC regardless of its price.

Quote:
so far I have HRT musicsteamer II+, maybe later i'll upgrade.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #81 of 13,350

Quote:
Honestly, unless you want to spend upwards of $1000, you'd be hard pressed to notice many improvements over the HRT II+ with other DACs.  That is one smoking DAC regardless of its price.

Yes I do agree with you...headphone system is first for me...with my speakers and HRT are really shine!! love this small dac.

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #82 of 13,350
Just out of curiosity, why so many Asgard & Bitfrost combos instead of Lyr & Bitfrost?  Is it bang for buck?  

How much difference do you guys think it would be between the two combos to power an HE-500?

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #83 of 13,350

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why so many Asgard & Bitfrost combos instead of Lyr & Bitfrost?  Is it bang for buck?  

How much difference do you guys think it would be between the two combos to power an HE-500?

Most people say the Lyr is a pretty big difference with both the he-500 and the lcd, like a nice improvement over the asgard.  My asgard did nothing special with the HE-500.  It gave them enough power yes, but I felt it was somewhat lacking in dynamics while having a decent soundstage.  It had a very smooth sound.  One you'd expect from a solid state.  Somewhat sterile compared to my LD.  The asgard is not a bad deal, but I feel it hit around average for its price.  Many others, however, have been enjoying it :)

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #84 of 13,350
I noticed a significant difference when I went from the Asgard to the Lyr and rolled in some decent tubes. With the HE500's the difference was definitely enough to justify the price of the Lyr.

I'm one of these who gets buyers remorse - but not this time. The Lyr is well worth every penny.

Mar 26, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #85 of 13,350
Guys i've been interested on the Bitfrost dac. Is there a comparison against similar priced dacs on the market?

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #86 of 13,350
This comparison is excellent, although the prices aren't similar. It's a good read. I've always thought that the differences between properly implemented and well designed DACs are subtle.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/580622/schiit-bifrost-vs-eastern-electric-minimax-dac-and-meier-corda-stagedac

Guys i've been interested on the Bitfrost dac. Is there a comparison against similar priced dacs on the market?

Mar 26, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #87 of 13,350

Quote:
This comparison is excellent, although the prices aren't similar. It's a good read. I've always thought that the differences between properly implemented and well designed DACs are subtle.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/580622/schiit-bifrost-vs-eastern-electric-minimax-dac-and-meier-corda-stagedac

+1

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #88 of 13,350
Tonight, I picked up the Koss Pro DJ100. These sound phenomenal on the Asgard. This is a good pairing that I highly recommend if people are looking for a nice setup under $325-350.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back