Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #48 of 13,350
Another soon to be Schiitter here...my new Asgard should arrive Friday and I'll use it with my Audio GD NFB-2.1 dac and the first cans I'll try are going to be HD598's. Looking forward to them!

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #49 of 13,350
Glad I found this thread. I'm looking for a suitable desktop amp to drive my Fostex T50RPs. Being that they're orthos, which Schiit model would you guys recommend? I know they are pretty efficient and not as hard to drive as some of the other popular orthos, but I still want to pair it properly with the right amp. So, solid state or tube? I also have the Ultrasone DJ1 but they will mostly be my travel/portable set that I'll use with my E10. Any ideas? Went to the Schiit website and I'm impressed with their offerings with the price/performance ratio that's hard to beat...gotta love the name too 
tongue.gif
 TIA

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #50 of 13,350

Quote:
Glad I found this thread. I'm looking for a suitable desktop amp to drive my Fostex T50RPs. Being that they're orthos, which Schiit model would you guys recommend? I know they are pretty efficient and not as hard to drive as some of the other popular orthos, but I still want to pair it properly with the right amp. So, solid state or tube? I also have the Ultrasone DJ1 but they will mostly be my travel/portable set that I'll use with my E10. Any ideas? Went to the Schiit website and I'm impressed with their offerings with the price/performance ratio that's hard to bear...gotta love the name too 
tongue.gif
 TIA

No tubes. Either the Asgard or the Lyr. I've heard that the Lyr sounds great with the Thunderpants, so it should sound good, in theory, with the original Fosex T50RP.

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #51 of 13,350
Valhalla owner here with my HD650, HD598, and HF2.  Lookin' to see what DAC comes next from Schiit, but I may spring for the bitfrost.

Mar 19, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #52 of 13,350
I just ordered myself some T50RPs since they're finally back in stock. I'll get them in a few days and plan on giving them a good workout. I'll report back during the weekend how they sound on the Asgard.

Glad I found this thread. I'm looking for a suitable desktop amp to drive my Fostex T50RPs. Being that they're orthos, which Schiit model would you guys recommend? I know they are pretty efficient and not as hard to drive as some of the other popular orthos, but I still want to pair it properly with the right amp. So, solid state or tube? I also have the Ultrasone DJ1 but they will mostly be my travel/portable set that I'll use with my E10. Any ideas? Went to the Schiit website and I'm impressed with their offerings with the price/performance ratio that's hard to bear...gotta love the name too 
tongue.gif
 TIA

Mar 20, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #53 of 13,350

Quote:
No tubes. Either the Asgard or the Lyr. I've heard that the Lyr sounds great with the Thunderpants, so it should sound good, in theory, with the original Fosex T50RP.

'No tubes', followed by a recommendation for the Lyr ?? Am I missing something here ? Sure, its a hybrid, but those are tubes sticking out the top of the amp. 

Mar 20, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #54 of 13,350
Not yet enough Schiit in my house:

Valhalla and Asgard. Using the nuForce HDP as DAC and (surprisingly) a small Fiio D3 as DAC as well in the office.
Home: nuforce icon HDP -> Asgard -> Sennheiser HD598, Denon AH-NC800 
Office: Fiio D3 -> Valhalla -> Ultrasone Pro 750, Sennheiser HD 448, CX880, Superlux (various all incredible value for money!!) depending on my mood and hairstyle :wink:

Cheerio

Mar 20, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #55 of 13,350
The idea of the Bifrost is that you don't need to buy a new DAC, just buy their drop-in upgrade cards for both the USB and DAC parts. Just go ahead and buy it now haha

Quote:
Valhalla owner here with my HD650, HD598, and HF2.  Lookin' to see what DAC comes next from Schiit, but I may spring for the bitfrost.

Mar 20, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #56 of 13,350
The next DAC if I'm not mistaken will probably be pretty similar to the bifrost except balanced?  So unless you are interested in a balanced amp, the bifrost will probably be it.

Edit:  Oh it's sort of announced.

In a few days, I'll make an announcement about the "midrange" products, Mjolnir (balanced amp) and Gungnir (balanced DAC). Which really are end-game products. This announcement will give you plenty of information to chew on and decide if the products are for you, but there will be no pre-order. There'll be an interest list and an anticipated shipping date. Pre-orders will be open when all parts are at the board house for assembly, all final metal has been through QC, and we're ready to produce. This means there won't be delays, as there were with Bifrost.

Mar 20, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #57 of 13,350
Hi Guys

after months of reading i have decided to try cans out to see if they tickle my ears and also fix the problem i have with my urge to listen to music late at night at loud volumes, i did try and find a second hand lyr but got impatient and ordered a new one this afternoon.

i am excited to say the least and hope it lives up to my expectations

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #58 of 13,350
The next DAC if I'm not mistaken will probably be pretty similar to the bifrost except balanced?  So unless you are interested in a balanced amp, the bifrost will probably be it.

Edit:  Oh it's sort of announced.

That's what I figured, for a dac, I want the option for balanced out to go into the future v200 amp I am planning on getting. I don't plan on getting too many dacs (unlike headphones and amps) so I want one that will grow with me as long as possible.

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #59 of 13,350

Quote:
That's what my opinion was at first too.  It's not the low power that is making your he-500 sound like that.  Many amps in the range of 200-300 that I've tried actually sound similar regardless of power output.  I tried a number of different amps with different power levels and I was a little surprised with the he-500 how little difference the actual output makes.  With the asgard you get the bonus of it looking fantastic.  It has pretty nice staging qualities compared to a lot of amps in the price range as well.  I believe it was recommended for the he-500 in a headphonia review? out of the 3 schiit amps.

Interesting. I just got the he-500's and am sorting which amp is right. I have a Valhalla which sounds beautiful on my DT-990's but not so much with the Ortho's (as expected). What do you think is the magic pairing with the he-500's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back