Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 17, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #16 of 13,350
Yep, class A amps run very warm.  My Asgard gets nice and toasty, but it's not the hottest amp I've ever used.  I think the Asgard heat is greatly misunderstood.  Since it is relatively inexpensive, it may likely be the first dedicated desktop amp people may buy.  If they're coming from the world of iPods and computer audio, the heat of the Asgard may be startling at first.  This is why Schiit probably went overboard to mention the heat.  But, it's normal.  I've certainly felt hotter.

Quote:
I'm not an owner but looking to buy the Asgard. It seems to be very nice. I had the lyr for a short while and it ran very hot. Is that normal with this line?

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #18 of 13,350
I have the Schiit Valhalla, and it gets quite hot. I really do think it's a very nice headphone amp for the price you pay, as it opened up the potential of my HD650's a little more.

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #19 of 13,350
Hi.
I was looking for desktop headphone amp for awhile, but now I'm leading toward Schiit.
However, I can't decide which Schiit.  I like to get either Vallhalla or Lyr, but I want Lyr...but
my bank account said Vallhalla.. I have sennheiser hd800, which one would be good for
hd800?

Thanks

Mar 18, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #20 of 13,350
I'm going to have a Lyr and  Bifrost next week!

I'm going to compare the Bifrost to my HDP which to me is probably the best DAC for under 1k.. I've tried a lot of the overseas stuff, but something just magical about this little hand-sized device that blows my mind.

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #21 of 13,350
Valhalla may perform slightly better with high impedance headphones, but Lyr handles that, and orthos, and is an awesome tube rolling amp - allowing you to tweak until your hearts content.

Quote:
Hi.
I was looking for desktop headphone amp for awhile, but now I'm leading toward Schiit.
However, I can't decide which Schiit.  I like to get either Vallhalla or Lyr, but I want Lyr...but
my bank account said Vallhalla.. I have sennheiser hd800, which one would be good for
hd800?

Thanks

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #22 of 13,350
The Lyr is really intended for really hard to drive headphones, like orthos and the AKG 701. It does have a higher noise floor, too. For your HD800s, I'd recommend the Valhalla. It's noise floor is lower, it has ample voltage for the 300 ohm impedance, and it's cheaper, too.

Hi.
hd800?

Thanks

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #23 of 13,350
i am having so much fun with the LYR marshaling the pro900,
no sibilance and well energized bass...
the music is organic. Great amp.

i wont be surprised if the hybrid LYR would do a great job on the hd800,
i had a hybrid EF5 before tied to a hd800, and i gotten similar results as the above.
beerchug.gif

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #24 of 13,350

Quote:
The Lyr is really intended for really hard to drive headphones, like orthos and the AKG 701. It does have a higher noise floor, too. For your HD800s, I'd recommend the Valhalla. It's noise floor is lower, it has ample voltage for the 300 ohm impedance, and it's cheaper, too.

And, both the Valhalla and the Asgard sound great with the HD800. Not as good as a really high end amplifier, but they both do the job of driving the HD800 very well.

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #25 of 13,350
I've never heard the HD800s, but I can confirm the Asgard sounds very nice driving my HD600s.  I was all set on buying the Valhalla a few weeks back, but the deal of a lifetime for another amp fell into my lap, so the Valhalla has to wait.  I may still get it down the road to drive my HD600s and DT990s, though.  I like OTL amps.

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #26 of 13,350

Quote:
I've never heard the HD800s, but I can confirm the Asgard sounds very nice driving my HD600s.  I was all set on buying the Valhalla a few weeks back, but the deal of a lifetime for another amp fell into my lap, so the Valhalla has to wait.  I may still get it down the road to drive my HD600s and DT990s, though.  I like OTL amps.

I got to try the HD600 with the Schiit Valhalla a while back and it was a fabulous setup. Very fast and slightly treble happy.

Mar 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #27 of 13,350
I do enjoy treble as long as it's not ear piercing.  That is one of the flaws in my DT990s; these cans tend to sizzle too much at times, especially high hats.  That's where the HD600s are better, IMO.  Sometimes, the HD600s can be too polite to the cymbals, so perhaps the Valhalla would be an excellent mate.

Mar 18, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #29 of 13,350
I seem to recall that Schiit recommended that owners mount the Asgard vertically with plenty of ventilation either side to disperse heat, but every photo I see of Schiit gear has the amps mounted horizontally, often with another component mounted atop the amp - great for photos, but not the best for heat dispersion.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back