Schiit Owners Unite
Mar 20, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #62 of 13,350
Amps have less effect on orthos than they do on dynamics provided they have enough current. I suggest looking into a solid state amp or an output transformer coupled amp so you can drive a range of other headphones in addition to the HE-500s.

Quote:
Interesting. I just got the he-500's and am sorting which amp is right. I have a Valhalla which sounds beautiful on my DT-990's but not so much with the Ortho's (as expected). What do you think is the magic pairing with the he-500's?

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #63 of 13,350

Quote:
Interesting. I just got the he-500's and am sorting which amp is right. I have a Valhalla which sounds beautiful on my DT-990's but not so much with the Ortho's (as expected). What do you think is the magic pairing with the he-500's?

Frank and Baka1969 seem to both think that the CSP2+ preamp with the decware taboo are the magic pairing.  I recently put in an order for the taboo, but it's 3 months from being built or maybe less now but idk I'd rather not think about it.  Supposedly the Woo WA2 does nicely as well.  Other people have said the Vioelectric v200, burson ha160, schiit lyr, bottlehead sex, are all pretty nice as well.  I think the HE-500 is less particular about amps in general compared to some phones.  I doubt any one of those I listed would be a let down.  The Taboo just had the qualities I was looking for.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #64 of 13,350
@chris_himself, thats a lot of Schiit ! Do the neighbours complain about your Schiit late at night ? 'Turn that Schiit down !' would be my guess.  
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #65 of 13,350
Frank and Baka1969 seem to both think that the CSP2+ preamp with the decware taboo are the magic pairing.  I recently put in an order for the taboo, but it's 3 months from being built or maybe less now but idk I'd rather not think about it.  Supposedly the Woo WA2 does nicely as well.  Other people have said the Vioelectric v200, burson ha160, schiit lyr, bottlehead sex, are all pretty nice as well.  I think the HE-500 is less particular about amps in general compared to some phones.  I doubt any one of those I listed would be a let down.  The Taboo just had the qualities I was looking for.

I'm not an owner but looking to buy the Asgard. It seems to be very nice. I had the lyr for a short while and it ran very hot. Is that normal with this line?

Hi all…

I just recently bought the HE-500, Bifrost (No USB), and an Asgard.

Best investment ever.

I temporarily have the Schiit on a small table underneath my desk, and I can feel the Asgard's heat hardcore.

Class A amps are known to run hot. It's fine.

It's more than fine.

:)

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #66 of 13,350
The Asgard is a very versatile amp.  Smooth sound.  Drives just about all headphones effortlessly.  I can't wait to try out my Fostex T50RPs that arrive tomorrow!

Quote:
Hi all…
I just recently bought the HE-500, Bifrost (No USB), and an Asgard.

Mar 21, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #67 of 13,350

Quote:
The Asgard is a very versatile amp.  Smooth sound.  Drives just about all headphones effortlessly.  I can't wait to try out my Fostex T50RPs that arrive tomorrow!

I can't wait for you to as well! The Asgard/Bitfrost combo is looking pretty tempting, especially for performance you get for the price. Excellent value if you ask me. These niche components are intriguing but I can't get over the prices these things command. I checked out the 'best looking tube amp' thread and was blown away by what I saw, especially the asking prices 
eek.gif
. One quick question: If I have SP/DIF connector on my motherboard, and I get the Bitfrost without USB, if there ever a reason I would need the USB option in the future like connecting a different brand amp to the Bitfrost? I don't want to cripple myself for future upgrades by not getting the USB option on the DAC. Still trying to figure out all the connections/cabling and trying to do the research before I lay down the cash.

Mar 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #68 of 13,350
USB does allow for future flexibility if you ever get a new computer in the future.  But, as far as I understand it, you can buy the Bifrost now without USB, but then add it later when you need it.  I say go ahead and use the optical for now and enjoy it with no worries.  If you ever need USB in the future, you can add the USB feature later.

USB or optical makes no difference to the amp you connect the Bifrost to.  The RCA outputs on the Bifrost will connect to the RCA inputs of any amp you choose.

Quote:
One quick question: If I have SP/DIF connector on my motherboard, and I get the Bitfrost without USB, if there ever a reason I would need the USB option in the future like connecting a different brand amp to the Bitfrost? I don't want to cripple myself for future upgrades by not getting the USB option on the DAC. Still trying to figure out all the connections/cabling and trying to do the research before I lay down the cash.

Mar 21, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #69 of 13,350
Well I decided on the Project Sunrise II for my HE-500's. 

I seems like an amazing deal the money.

The CSP2+ preamp with the declare taboo look amazing, but out of my price range, but I'd sure like to hear them.

I'll let you know what I think of the PSII when I get it.

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #70 of 13,350

Quote:
Well I decided on the Project Sunrise II for my HE-500's. 

I seems like an amazing deal the money.

The CSP2+ preamp with the declare taboo look amazing, but out of my price range, but I'd sure like to hear them.

I'll let you know what I think of the PSII when I get it.

cool.  can't wait to hear your impression.

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #71 of 13,350
Update for this mini discussion.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/7170#post_8245544

Quote:

Quote:
I can't wait for you to as well! The Asgard/Bitfrost combo is looking pretty tempting, especially for performance you get for the price. Excellent value if you ask me. These niche components are intriguing but I can't get over the prices these things command. I checked out the 'best looking tube amp' thread and was blown away by what I saw, especially the asking prices 
eek.gif
. One quick question: If I have SP/DIF connector on my motherboard, and I get the Bitfrost without USB, if there ever a reason I would need the USB option in the future like connecting a different brand amp to the Bitfrost? I don't want to cripple myself for future upgrades by not getting the USB option on the DAC. Still trying to figure out all the connections/cabling and trying to do the research before I lay down the cash.

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #73 of 13,350
I went from Gold Lion E88CC's to some (illegible) USSR 6H23N-EB's...

Sounds like a completely different amp... holy **** tube rolling is gonna be fun, I need to order some Mullards to see what the fuss is about. Oh lawds I should have gone tube a long long time ago. Apparently no biasing is needed on 6922 pattern tubes :)

AWWW YEA.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #74 of 13,350
The full story: I was in the HiFiMAN HE-400 preorder batch, but unfortunately mine also suffered from the failing driver issue, so I returned it and went for the HE-500 - since I was in the HE-400 preorder batch I could buy it at a discount. I must be out of luck, as the HE-500 arrived with a cracked cup... but HiFiMAN immediately shipped a replacement cup, so kudos to them! Anyways: I quickly found out that the Headstage Arrow amp that I use, coupled with my iPod, does not deliver enough juice to drive the HE-500s: sound was dull, no dynamics, boring. So I set out for a desktop amp and quickly settled for the Asgard/Bifrost combo. I've had it for two days now, and I'm happy that I upgraded to the HE-500s again: without them, I would never have met the Asgard and the Bifrost! One happy customer - sound is exciting again, full bodied, dynamic, with plenty of bass and treble extension. Woohoo!

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #75 of 13,350
Got my Asgard couple of days ago. It is a very nice machine and it really doesnt sound a 250 dollar amp. Probably going to get the Bifrost and Lyr in the near future :) and really looking forward their new gadgets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back