Schiit Owners Unite
Feb 25, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #4,622 of 13,350
then if from magni jump, which schiit to go? vali might be the only thing I can afford. others in my currency hitting a thousand

What headphones do you have?  What music do you listen to?  What is the source of your music---mp3s, lossless, etc?  What do you hope to accomplish through upgrades?

Answering these can help me make recommendations for you.

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #4,623 of 13,350
What headphones do you have?  What music do you listen to?  What is the source of your music---mp3s, lossless, etc?  What do you hope to accomplish through upgrades?

Answering these can help me make recommendations for you.

my main is q701. listen to 24/96 or 16/44.1 flac only. my favorite are Justin Timberlake and avenged Sevenfold

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #4,626 of 13,350
Is there any significant difference between low and high gain modes of Asgard 2 with HD600 headphones? 
I have now switched it to 'low gain' mode, I had to turn the volume pot up a bit (from 9 am to 11 am, probably), but other than that I don't hear much difference.  
In fact, I may like it a bit more in this mode... I think the sound is more relaxed and natural, less forward.. can't really explain (not sure if real difference or sort of placebo effect). But I think my troubled ears like it better (less fatiguing). Also the volume pot is less sensitive and I can find the sweet spot better.

So which one I should use?
Should I be concerned about some negative feedback in 'low gain' mode (the manual says 12dB)? I have no idea what that means.

UPDATE: After some listening I can definitely confirm my impressions... The 'low gain' setting is much gentler to my ears. Sound is comfortable, mid-high frequencies are tamed down and the harshness is gone. It sounds more balanced and natural. Maybe less 'punch', but I definitely prefer it this way.

UPDATE2: Schiit just replied I want to use the one that sounds best to me. Fair enough.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #4,627 of 13,350
  Are there any other suggestions for cleaning the housing on the SCHIIT products.  another member posted having white streaks on the housing,  mine is the same.  one suggestion was lemon pledge sprayed on a microfiber cloth.   are there any other products and/or methods that folks here have used to clean up the smudges, prints, and white streaks left behind by damp cloth wiping?

Goof Off removes anything from anything.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #4,628 of 13,350
I had a post in this thread that mysteriously disappeared with no notice.

In the original post I stated that I had a preference for the Magni over the Vali. I came back today to state that I had changed my mind. I'm listening to Spotify again, which sounds harsher than my natively played tracks. The Vali sounds better with it because it's smoother. So I'm back to using the Vali.

Now I expect this post to mysteriously disappear without notice, too.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #4,629 of 13,350
  I had a post in this thread that mysteriously disappeared with no notice.

In the original post I stated that I had a preference for the Magni over the Vali. I came back today to state that I had changed my mind. I'm listening to Spotify again, which sounds harsher than my natively played tracks. The Vali sounds better with it because it's smoother. So I'm back to using the Vali.

Now I expect this post to mysteriously disappear without notice, too.

I believe there was a sweep a day or two back because the thread was getting derailed and the tensions were kinda rising. Your post probably got caught up. I know my own post did. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #4,630 of 13,350

I believe there was a sweep a day or two back because the thread was getting derailed and the tensions were kinda rising. Your post probably got caught up. I know my own post did. 

Ah, thanks. It was a mystery to me what was inappropriate about expressing a preference for one Schiit product over another in a Schiit Owner's thread. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #4,631 of 13,350
It was my fault. Apologies. 
tongue.gif

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #4,632 of 13,350
To Whomever May Wish to Assist:

HELP Please?

I did not know if there was a better forum heading in which to post this question, if so, my sincere apologies, and please direct me accordingly...(and sorry for derailing this particular thread...)

I've been a happy Schiit Bifrost owner for a couple of years, (along with a Lyr and Asgard 2), and would now like to upgrade it with the "Uber Analog" board as well as the "Gen 2 Input" board. Being very much a novice at this electronic component upgrade sort of thing, I would have sent my unit back to Schiit Audio to allow them to do it, however, I don't have a back-up D/A converter to use, so that I would like to save the time AND the money by installing them myself, should the project not be beyond my abilities.

That said, are there any really good, straight forward, step by step instructions for how to de-install the old boards, and install the new ones...ones suitable for a novice like myself? I know, in the past, some instructions were posted, and would like to know if: 1, they are still available, 2, there are any particularly clear and simple ones, and 3, where I would look for them???

Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,
T.A. Kogstrom

P.S. Again, if this is not the best location for posting this inquiry, please let me know where to post it...
P.P.S. I dare not ask if anyone has any updated information regarding the release/production of the "Ragnarok"...lol...

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #4,633 of 13,350
To Whomever May Wish to Assist:

HELP Please?

I did not know if there was a better forum heading in which to post this question, if so, my sincere apologies, and please direct me accordingly...(and sorry for derailing this particular thread...)

I've been a happy Schiit Bifrost owner for a couple of years, (along with a Lyr and Asgard 2), and would now like to upgrade it with the "Uber Analog" board as well as the "Gen 2 Input" board. Being very much a novice at this electronic component upgrade sort of thing, I would have sent my unit back to Schiit Audio to allow them to do it, however, I don't have a back-up D/A converter to use, so that I would like to save the time AND the money by installing them myself, should the project not be beyond my abilities.

That said, are there any really good, straight forward, step by step instructions for how to de-install the old boards, and install the new ones...ones suitable for a novice like myself? I know, in the past, some instructions were posted, and would like to know if: 1, they are still available, 2, there are any particularly clear and simple ones, and 3, where I would look for them???

Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,
T.A. Kogstrom

P.S. Again, if this is not the best location for posting this inquiry, please let me know where to post it...
P.P.S. I dare not ask if anyone has any updated information regarding the release/production of the "Ragnarok"...lol...

i used these instructions, i'm pretty much a novice myself, but if one is careful, methodical, its pretty easy , the lights to go back in the holes gives some folks trouble, i used a pair of extra long needle nose pliers to help insert the LEDs  page 2, post 25 give some pictures
http://www.head-fi.org/t/661444/schiit-bifrost-uber-analog-upgrade

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #4,634 of 13,350
To Synergist969,

How are you currently connecting your Bifrost to your source? If you are already connecting your Bifrost to the PC via the gen-1 USB interface, I really don't see any benefits in upgrading to the USB card to the gen 2 version unless you specifically have some 24/176 media files that the gen-1 USB interface cannot handle. From reading through the description on Schiit's website, it is not obvious to me whether there are any real, actual sonic improvements from the gen 2 USB interface.

But more importantly, if your sources support SPDIF coaxial and/or optical outputs, I would strongly recommend you to use that instead of the USB connection. The audio quality is noticeably higher when your Bifrost connected via SPDIF.

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #4,635 of 13,350
But more importantly, if your sources support SPDIF coaxial and/or optical outputs, I would strongly recommend you to use that instead of the USB connection. The audio quality is noticeably higher when your Bifrost connected via SPDIF.

Admittedly, USB is quirky at times, also prone to ground loop/hum issues (unlike optical S/PDIF). Other than that, there shouldn't be any noticeable audio quality differences between the (correctly implemented) DAC inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back