Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Aug 23, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #886 of 3,541
Quote:
Unf*&*&believable.  I was listening with the inputs set to SE (didn't see the switch back there, and never heard of an amp where that has to be switched).  The sound is now much more powerful.  As if it wasn't powerful before.  I was listening at like 10-11 before.  Now it is very very loud at 9:30.  And the amp starts at 7 or so.  

Edit: Lawl, yea, it beat my other amps while incorrectly set to SE mode.

So the amp still operates from the XLR outputs when 'switched' to SE?

If so, I'll need another demo just in case. Didn't see that switch (didn't look!).

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #887 of 3,541
Quote:
or a gigantic killer amp named Yggdrasil.  that would be rad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil

Agreed - that would be kick ass
cool.gif

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #888 of 3,541
Quote:
I think the popularity of this amp is a bit stifled since the Gungir isn't out yet...  I need a balanced dac before I can buy this.

Speaking of which... Anyone know when the Gungir will be shipped?

No, you don't. Mjolnir runs very well from a single-ended source, it even has RCA inputs and a switch that lets you couple cold to ground. What you need is a balanced connection to your headphones. However, a good-sounding source seems to be preferred.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #889 of 3,541
Quote:
Real time thought process: Pairing the Mjolnir with the pricier LCD-3 compared to a less expensive headphone and more expensive amp seems like an intriguing option.  Guess it balances out (pun), but I (you) have a LCD-3 instead.

Hmmmm.

$1500 phones with $1250 amp (already have)

And/or

$2000 headphones with $750 amp

I've been wanting to buy some Schiit lately... I've almost talked myself into it.

The Schiit amp is extremely underpriced, compared to how it sounds.  It's best to just picture it as a $3000-6000 amp.  The price has very little to do with how it sounds.  

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #890 of 3,541
Quote:

The Schiit amp is extremely underpriced, compared to how it sounds.  It's best to just picture it as a $3000-6000 amp.  The price has very little to do with how it sounds.  

$3000-6000! Now i feel like i have to buy this despite not owning any high end headphones right now lol.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #891 of 3,541

Why would you say that, do you want that Schiit raises its price? Other amps are overpriced, Schiit is the only USA audio company I know of that prices their stuff right, once they overprice it they will be like everyone else among many.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #892 of 3,541
Quote:

I agree price is no indication of how good a product will sound and it's great that initial opinions of the Mjolnir are very encouraging.
I am more interested in the statement amp personally but the better the Mjolnir the better the statement is likely to be ( I hope ).

I see you have the Phoenix. I know it's early days but how do they compare?

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #893 of 3,541
Quote:
Some quick straight out of the box impressions:

Well packed, heavy, very solid metal, nice build quality and appearance.  I would probably replace (personally) the Phillips head screws with something sexier.  Torx or socket caps plz.  

My initial impression is that it sounds better than the B22 or the Phoenix.  If I had any initial criticism with the HD800, I think that it's a bit aggressive, metallic, intense, maybe less sexy midrange than the B22.  It's still better than the Phoenix which is harsh with HD800.  But compared with B22 the Mjo has more treble detail, a slightly higher and more believable soundstage, the sound is overall more realistic, it has a lot more slam and excitement, the bass is better.  At $750, people would be insane not to buy one of these before anything else.  It's hardly more expensive than some portable amps. Considering that it costs $3000 to commission a new B22 and over $1000 to DIY a half decent one, you would be nuts to consider a B22 when this amp exists.  

Edit:  LCD3 is greatly preferable over HD800 with this amp.  It's just better in every way.  More natural, realistic, and just in a better balance.  This is still one of the best HD800 amps, though.

I will be editing this post as new things come to me. 

That's outrageously positive! Tread carefully, this is a tough crowd. 
wink.gif

Btw, that stridency you hear with the HD800 settles over time. My first Mjolnir out of the box had this quality with the HD800. 50 hours on and it was less evident. Listening to my second, brand new out of the box Mjolnir and that quality is back. Vocals are a touch dry and constrained, mids are less "liquid". It still sounds nice, but it gets better.

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #894 of 3,541
This amp holds a special interest for me. I've owned the Asgard and LYR and loved them both. Paired with the Bifrost I thought and still think, that they are some of the best buys in audio. My only real issue with them was the heat. Although it doesn't seem to cause any real problem for the amp, but it always made me nervous for several reasons. 

Now we have the MJolnir. An improved Schitt amp that runs cooler. I'm all over this one. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #895 of 3,541
Could be today after all...

2012/08/24 07:23 OTTAWA Item processed at local delivery facility

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #897 of 3,541
I could be wrong (and Audio-Omega this post is not in any way directed at you specifically), but I really doubt that a few head-Fi posts is going to change Schiit's strategy. And I find their strategy VERY sound. Start with very high value, attractively priced products that build a loyal following and give the company brand awareness. Then move slowly up-market and into other product categories. The company has done a lot of things VERY right, IMO, in terms of how to develop a real company that will have lasting success, not just some flash in the pan.

I know that the head-Fi crowd that finds any organization with a structure as being fundamentally evil will not see it this way, but not every company in the world engages in immediate-term product profit maximization. I have spent most of my career launching technology start-ups (NOT in audio), and so it's refreshing to see these guys doing things well. It seems to me that they are pricing their products with a healthy mix of short and long term strategy in mind, at least as best I can tell by viewing it from afar.

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #898 of 3,541
I was initially against the pro support of concept ideas but seems they are building a good reputation with their products. Our community loves to jump on the bandwagon of hype and over zealous support for new product without even hearing it. It's good that our regulars are getting their hands on the product for honest reviews.

I do wish Schiit the best of luck and expect a quality product priced for the main head fier member. You can sell just so many hi end products.

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #899 of 3,541
I do have to wonder if Mjolnir is just FOTM, if not...Schiit should get a lot of credit
for putting out the "better" product at a much lower cost than competitors. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back