Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Aug 24, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #901 of 3,541
I have not heard the Mjolnir yet, but based on the high praise I have seen from members who often do not give high praise, it would seem that what we have from them is another very good product at an attractive price point, and that is what is laudable.  It doesn't have to be better than everything else - no product is perfect, and no audio product is going to please every listener.  But given that headphone audio has had it's share of fly by night manufacturers, a few of whom ended up essentially committing criminal acts such as theft, It's refreshing for me at least to see a company with an actual business plan.  It's nice for users that the makers of their products are around for a few years to support them :wink:

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #902 of 3,541
Quote:
 it's refreshing to see these guys doing things well.

Also very impressed by their website and general attitude.

No one starts a company like this without a lot of hard work and some hiccups - but they manage to keep it cool, calm and collected and don't take themselves too seriously.

It's a fine line between suffocating causal customers with too much technical details and putting of experienced customers with a too childish attitude drenched in marketing cliches.

The current webpage I think gets it just right.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #903 of 3,541
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Quote:
I could be wrong (and Audio-Omega this post is not in any way directed at you specifically), but I really doubt that a few head-Fi posts is going to change Schiit's strategy. And I find their strategy VERY sound. Start with very high value, attractively priced products that build a loyal following and give the company brand awareness. Then move slowly up-market and into other product categories. The company has done a lot of things VERY right, IMO, in terms of how to develop a real company that will have lasting success, not just some flash in the pan.
I know that the head-Fi crowd that finds any organization with a structure as being fundamentally evil will not see it this way, but not every company in the world engages in immediate-term product profit maximization. I have spent most of my career launching technology start-ups (NOT in audio), and so it's refreshing to see these guys doing things well. It seems to me that they are pricing their products with a healthy mix of short and long term strategy in mind, at least as best I can tell by viewing it from afar.

Fingers crossed!
When it's been sorted through the facility here in BC, it usually means I'll get it tomorrow because it never leaves until then. Lazy lazy.
Quote:
Will get mine tonight for sure now :D

2012/08/24 09:16 GLOUCESTER Item out for delivery

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #904 of 3,541
Oh its here :D

2012/08/24 12:04 ORLEANS Item transferred to Post Office; being prepared for pickup.  

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #905 of 3,541
Anyone who have tryed this with LCD3s? I think I read somewhere that they will have a tube version aswell? 
I'm going to sell my motocross bike so im debatting with myself if I should just go all out and get LCD3 instead off LCD2s lol

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #906 of 3,541
A modest request for you, Sir: A comparison (even though from memory) with the Soloist would be nice. Thanks. :)
Quote:
Oh its here :D

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #907 of 3,541
Tonight will be first impressions.

But should have time Monday to do a proper A/B and include comparisons to the B22 and Soloist.  Would add WA22 but with the tube layout I had, the B22 was pretty much a direct sub.  Soloist and GS-1 are awful close too, with the Soloist having slightly greater resolution.

Good times.

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #908 of 3,541
Quote:

But should have time Monday to do a proper A/B and include comparisons to the B22 and Soloist.  Would add WA22 but with the tube layout I had, the B22 was pretty much a direct sub.  Soloist and GS-1 are awful close too, with the Soloist having slightly greater resolution.

Good times.

I really have to hear that Soloist.  

I've heard the Phonitor / Auditor / V200 / and others.  Nothing came close to the GS-1 in resolution.  The GS-1 is my bench mark amp for resolution.  

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #910 of 3,541
Quote:
I do have to wonder if Mjolnir is just FOTM, if not...Schiit should get a lot of credit
for putting out the "better" product at a much lower cost than competitors. 

Easy to worry that, I wasn't sure what to think either.  It is safe to say that it equals my B22 at 1/5 the price and in some areas beats it.  

Someone was asking about LCD3s, yes the Mjolnir is perfect with LCD3 and the combination is tremendously good.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #911 of 3,541
Quote:

Easy to worry that, I wasn't sure what to think either.  It is safe to say that it equals my B22 at 1/5 the price and in some areas beats it.  

Someone was asking about LCD3s, yes the Mjolnir is perfect with LCD3 and the combination is tremendously good.

Do you have a 3 channel or a 4 channel?

I sure would like to know in what areas it beats a 4 channel in.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #912 of 3,541
Quote:

Good times.

Looking forward to the comparison between the B22 and Peak. Do give the Mjolnir sometime to burn in, i'd say at least a week before proper comparisons are done.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #913 of 3,541
100 hours is all I ever give gear.  Given electronics don't change after years of use, don't see a couple hours making a difference.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #915 of 3,541
I agree 100%.  I usually go 100 hours or 90 days, whichever comes first.  At that point, the gear is stable.  If it's gonna fail from manufacturing defects, it will have done so in either of those windows.  After that, they don't change much until they die from old age exhaustion.

Quote:
100 hours is all I ever give gear.  Given electronics don't change after years of use, don't see a couple hours making a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back